Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Using UK car seat in US

Hi, I know that a similar question was posed in 2006 but I thought I would ask again in case anything has changed. I am British but currently living in the US and pregnant. I am having some baby stuff sent over from the UK from my first child but I'm particularly concerned about the infant carrier/babys seat issue. Is it true that I cannot use our UK babyseat over here (it's a British brand not available here)? Many thanks in advance (also is there a website I can go to read the laws pertaining to this myself?)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Using UK car seat in US

Your UK seat is not legal to use here. I'm looking for the wording for your state, but I don't see it. A seat used here in the US must pass FMVSS213 testing (our version of ECE R44). If the seat hasn't passed FMVSS213 testing it's considered I guess unsafe, at least illegal. Plus, most UK seats only rear face to 9 kg, and in the US, just as in Britain, we're moving toward rear facing until four years old, or about 45-55 pounds. So a 9 kg British group 0 seat just wouldn't cut it in that regard either.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

For that matter, in the last few years there have been some awesome improvements in car seat technology and design, and neat new seats released. I don't know how old your older child is, or how old your car seat is, but it quite possibly lacks safety features that are newly available in both the UK AND the US. A new seat might be an excellent investment for that reason. Look around a bit and you'll find that there are some very good seats (infant-- with a base and carrier-- or convertible-- rear and then later forward facing) that can be had in almost any price range.

Information on what car you have, what features you want in a seat, what your other child rides in, and how much you'd like to spend could help us give you better recommendations for U.S. seats.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 12, Bridget, 10, Maggie, 8, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Ok, thanks for confirming this...my older son is 3. What was annoying was that we initially had a seat for my son that went up to 9kg (all that was available at that time). He went over 9kg before he was 1 and in the meantime the company (which was compatible with the carriage) introduced a seat that went up to a higher weight limit for rear facing. It was the only one available so we bought 2 seats in quick succession but consoled ourselves thinking we'd use it for our next child (but didn't factor moving overseas into the equation). We also have US car seats we have used for our older child that can rear face (but not for new babies). So- any suggestions would be much appreciated. We have a Lincoln (can't remember the model but not that huge) and a Honda Civic. Thanks again...