Our new CA...

kidnurse

I have dealt with some finger chewers before, but wow, this time I was actively bleeding! I :love: 'd our new CA....until I got it out to the car to try to install it. Wow-wee! Not easy, but I am sure it will get easier in time. I did not realize all the nice features this car seat has....especially for a Dorel. :whistle:

Are there any tricks I should know to make installing it easier and quicker? Also, can it touch the seat in front of it?

Oh, and something else that occured to me as I was wrestling with this thing, when we say 45 degree, 35 degree, angle, is that with or without the child sitting in it? This thing is pretty upright, but I think it will come down a bit once DS is sitting in it.

I still like it an awful lot, and my hands will heal in time.

Also, I started getting bumps all over my fingers about the same time I started playing with my car seats a lot to figure out my 3 across, anyone think the two are related, or am I the only one with bumpy fingers?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The angle shouldn't really change much if at all with a child in it. If it does you should probably put a pool noodle or rolled towel under it for firmer support and try to get a tighter install if necessary.

The easiest way is to pull one side of the cover back when installing the CA rear-facing, to expose the rear-facing belt path and make tightening easier. I really don't find it hard at all once I've done that (though a bit tough to pop the cover back on afterward!)

It can touch the seat in front if your vehicle allows. What vehicle do you have it in?

kidnurse

I have an 08 Dodge Caliber, it is behind the driver's seat, so touching should be fine, right?

It took me a bit to figure out that I should remove one side of the cover to tighten the latch well. I did not manage to get the seat cover back on exactly right, although it is almost back on.

Thanks KQ

NannyMom

I have an 08 Dodge Caliber, it is behind the driver's seat, so touching should be fine, right?

It took me a bit to figure out that I should remove one side of the cover to tighten the latch well. I did not manage to get the seat cover back on exactly right, although it is almost back on.

Thanks KQ

I hated the Complete Air for awhile because of that. Then I learned a little trick. Don't take the cover off to reveal so much of the belt path. Pull the LATCH as much as I can from outside the seat. Then remove the cover on the side, a bit above the beltpath. Then I had *just* enough LATCH strap to thread up through the beltpath and through my slightly removed cover to pull it tight, and replace the cover.

kidnurse

I forgot to mention that when I said I expect the seat to move back a bit when I put DS in it, I meant a very little bit. DS is over 30lbs, if he was say 16lbs I would not expect the seat to move at all with this install when putting him in, but he is not a little guy.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My 37 lb. kid gets in it and it doesn't change angle at all. :shrug-shoulders: But if the movement is very very slight it's probably fine; go by the angle when you install it (assuming you're installing more upright.)

I'm not sure on the touching in your vehicle. Read your airbag section, particularly the warnings, especially closely, as well as the warnings in the child restraint section of the manual.

DahliaRW

My 37 lb. kid gets in it and it doesn't change angle at all. :shrug-shoulders: But if the movement is very very slight it's probably fine; go by the angle when you install it (assuming you're installing more upright.)

I'm not sure on the touching in your vehicle. Read your airbag section, particularly the warnings, especially closely, as well as the warnings in the child restraint section of the manual.

Mine reclines a tiny bit more when ds2 climbs in it because the seat it's installed on compresses a bit under where the back of the seat is. So a tiny bit is normal.

I love mine too!

kidnurse

I am feeling the CA :love: ! I was a bit skeptical about it before, but everyone here seems to like it so much and it was such a good deal at BRU. I also figured it would be better in a 3-across than my TF. It really didn't move when he got in it like I thought it might. It is actually rock the car solid, which I don't get on any other seat - which I know may not be the "best" thing. The only thing I can say I am worried about now is that when we took our 1st quick trip in it the straps wanted to twist? Is this an ongoing thing with the CA or was it just me? DS is also on the opposite side of the car now as he was before, so maybe my hands just need to adjust to buckling him in "backwards".

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I guess the straps are kinda twisty, but it doesn't bug me-- doesn't seem like I have to do any more work on them than say our Radians. :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC