Random question re: Rear-Facing Weight Limits (Britax Convertibles 33 lb. limit vs. Cosco Convertibles 35 lb. limit)

Momto1bigkiddo

I know it's probably a rediculous question, but I just have been wondering for a long time.

Why do the Cosco convertibles rear-face to 35 lbs., but Britax convertibles only rear-face to 33 lbs???

I wish Britax could up their rear-facing limit to 35 lbs! :p

Why can't Britax engineer their convertibles to go up just 2 more lbs.!? Did the Britax convertible seats fail when used with say a 35 lb. child crash-test dummie?

Anyone know?

Wishful thinking. :eek:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
All 30 and 33 pound rf limit seats are currently tested with the 34 pound 3 year old dummy, but Cosco adds a 2 pound (maybe one pound now...it used to be a 33 pound 3 yo dummy, it got fatter in the last couple years, lol) weighted vest on it's dummy so it can have a higher RF weight (Cosco cuts so many corners in so many ways, it's astounding they went above and beyond the limits in this case :eek: )

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
All 30 and 33 pound rf limit seats are currently tested with the 34 pound 3 year old dummy, but Cosco adds a 2 pound (maybe one pound now...it used to be a 33 pound 3 yo dummy, it got fatter in the last couple years, lol) weighted vest on it's dummy so it can have a higher RF weight (Cosco cuts so many corners in so many ways, it's astounding they went above and beyond the limits in this case :eek: )

Wouldn't this mean that all 30 and 33lb seats are technically passing at 34lbs? Why not just label them all as 34lbs then?

Jen in Canada
Aiden 03/28/02, FF Radian
Mikkel 05/05/05, RF Marathon

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They used to all be labeled to 30, then the IVillage board caught wind of that and the president of Britax (oh, he was SUCH a gem of a man...) changed to 33..I guess it was just convention or 'better leave people some oops room in case they don't weigh their kids every day and go over the limit'... the 34 pound dummy came around after he left Britax, and the current management is not so receptive to change :(

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
They used to all be labeled to 30, then the IVillage board caught wind of that and the president of Britax (oh, he was SUCH a gem of a man...) changed to 33..I guess it was just convention or 'better leave people some oops room in case they don't weigh their kids every day and go over the limit'... the 34 pound dummy came around after he left Britax, and the current management is not so receptive to change :(

Change is good... I don't always understand why people find that concept so difficult:p

Good to know about the 34lb dummy though.

Jen in Canada
Aiden 03/28/02, FF Radian
Mikkel 05/05/05, RF Marathon

Momto1bigkiddo

Thanks Julie! That is very interesting. I hope one day Britax will re-test with the fatter dummie, lol. A 35 lb. RF limit would be sweet! :D

Evenflo needs to get on the ball, the 30 lb. RF limit on the Triumph stinks! My son was 32 lbs. at 13 months, when I looked in our Triumph's manual and realized he was 2 lbs. over the limit I turned him FF.--I wish I had known about Cosco's 35 lb. RF limit at the time, he could have possibly rear-faced close to another year in the Scenera! :eek: --he was 36 lbs. at 24 months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC