Late flights and installing car seats with tired kids

Alison's Mom

We are planning a trip to Hawaii for Feb/Mar and are having trouble deciding on which island to go to. Do people have experience or advice for a late arriving flight, then having to get luggage, get the rental car and install car seats possibly in the dark? I guess a flashlight would be a good idea!

Kauai seems like the best island for kid friendly beaches, but the only direct flight gets there at 8pm local time, which is 11pm our time, and it gets dark there around 7.15. The only connecting flight that doesn't leave at 6am or get there late would involve getting luggage and then checking in a 2nd time as the two airlines don't have agreements with each other.

We'd then also have to find our vacation rental in the dark. Am I being over paranoid, or would it be a big pain to be trying to install car seats with tired kids? It'll be DH and me with the kids who will be 4 and 6 at the time, plus another family with 2 and 6yr old kids and a set of grandparents, so quite a few adults. . . . DH doesn't know how to install car seats, so it would be me. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Oooh, Hawaii. :love: I haven't had the opportunity to take our little guy there, but we've been twice. We've been to the Big Island (Hawaii,) Oahu and Maui. The Big Island is still my favourite. I'm sure there are kid friendly beaches there, and the Volcano National Park is pretty cool. :thumbsup:

As for late-night carseat installs... we've done that more than a few times. ;) A flashlight is a great idea, but I've always managed without one. Usually the interior lights of the vehicle are very helpful, and if you're lucky enough to be in a lighted parking garage that will add to the illumination.

Only occasionally did I ever manage to get off a late-arriving plane without waking my son, and only when he was still small enough to be worn, so he was usually awake when we got to the car. He was either content to sit in an empty seat in the car and wait, or DH would hold/amuse him until I was done installing his seat. I'd definitely go for a direct flight over a connection, even with the late arrival time (but that's just my opinion. ;)) You'll also have the advantage of the warm weather - we often arrived late during the winter and the cold blast leaving the airport was never pleasant for my tired boy never mind the disruption of donning winter gear.

As for finding your place... GPS is your friend (and can be found for less than $100 - significantly so.) They're great for navigating in the dark. :thumbsup: Just be sure that the maps on your unit include the U.S. (including Hawaii - some may only do the continental U.S..) We were rudely surprised on one trip we made across the line to discover our GPS only included maps of Canada (but you could purchase the additional coverage.)

I hope that helps you somewhat. :)

ETA: My husband doesn't do carseats either. ;)

LittlePeanut

We did a late night arrival in Maui when DS1 was 2.5 and it was pretty easy. It is what it is, yk? you deal with whatever and it's all easier to take because you're on vacation in nice warm climate in the middle of winter ;) We had to hope= on a shuttle bus and then wait in line when we arrived at the car rental location while they brought our vehicle arround. It took more time than I wanted and I think we arrived aat the condo around midnight. DS was worn out but went to sleep in the car and was carried to bed. We all slept in the next morning :)

Alison's Mom

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Yes, I think anything would a little less painful just because we'd be in Hawai. One time when we were coming back from Maui, though, it was really hot when I was trying to un-install the carseats and ended up with a massive headache from the heat and exertion, and was puking on the plane, with DH wrangling both kids who were much younger then. . .

Dh has said he doesn't care if we get there late, so it's up to me and the other family who we are travelling with if we go to Oahu/Maui (with good direct flights) or Big Island/Kauai with unappealing direct flights. I'm kind of leaning toward the Kailua area of Oahu, and maybe checking out Kauai or the Big Island another time, even though the Volcano component is attractive. . . .

Alison's Mom

Headlamps sound like a great idea! Thanks!

We finally decided this morning to go with the easy flights to Oahu, and found a great vacation home just south of Kailua, so we are stoked! I know, I know, it's still several months away, but with the (so called) summer we've been having, it's fun to dream about a beach vacation!

ProudMommysince09

Hah I feel a little 'homesick' lol since I just moved from Oahu back to the mainland a few months ago. If you need some tips on activities let me know! I think there are some pretty neat beaches that are kid friendly. Go check out the Macadamia Nut Farm and send me some delicious pineapple sweet bread lol.. Im getting all excited for you guys!
The drive from the airport should be pretty easy, Im guessing at about 30 min to get there. But yea, a GPS helps and I know my Garmin does Hawaii maps but it does take a few minutes for the satellite to get it all loaded and realize where its at.

Alison's Mom

Thanks! Yes, it must be hard to leave such a beautiful paradise!

I was on Oahu when I was 12 and loved Hanauma Bay, so will be going there for the snorkeling, and I guess the kids can play on the sandy shore.

What are your thoughts on the Polynesian Cultural Centre for a 2yr boy, 4 yr old boy and 2 6yo girls? Worth the money?

Thanks!

LittlePeanut

If by chance you go to Maui instead, I HIGHLY recommend buying a pass for the Maui Ocean Centre. It was well worth it and DS 2 was about 3 and loved it.

Alison's Mom

Thanks! Yes, the Maui Ocean Centre is great. . . we've gone there the last two times we were on Maui. Hoping for some good family friendly stuff on Oahu too!

AlishaNC82

Alison's Mom - I left HI a year ago. I definitely recommend staying on the windward side. It is much more low key which is great with kids. Is anyone in your group military? If so there are a lot of military rental units right on the beach and they are very reasonable.

If you are looking for a good luau Paradise Cove is the best. Get there early so you can do all of the activities before the luau starts and if you go to Ko'olina (where the luau is located) early you can you swimming in the lagoons. They are great for kids, but parking is sometimes hard to find. The luau at PCC is not worth it, but we did like visiting all of the different "islands" there.

Don't be afraid to eat shrimp on the North Shore from the lunch wagons on the side of the road. They will be some of the best shrimp you've tasted. Don't forget to look for turtles!

Alison's Mom

Thanks so much!

No, sadly, we are just civilians, but it was recommended we stay in Kailua, and we ended up finding a nice beachfront vacation home in Waimanalo, which I figured would be OK since it's just 15 min away from Kailua. Then I heard from someone that it's 'rough and poor' there, but from other reading, I don't think it should be a problem, and the person was maybe exaggerating a bit. We will be making sure we lock doors, etc when we leave, but it should be fine.

Yes, we plan to see the lagoons, and had read about parking, so will get there early. thanks!

I see you're living in Naples now - what a city! We were there during our honeymoon in 2003, mainly because I wanted to see Pompeii. We were afraid to cross the street there, but awesome food, and the museums were great. We stayed in this really cute B&B that was in the strangest location. Going there in the cab, we thought for sure the cab was lost, because he was bringing us down the really narrow alleyway and the entrance was this big garage door like a mechanic's shop. Strange, but it was beautiful inside. Would love to go back to Italy. . . .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC