Question Keyfit 30 question?

Kegracin

Has any one heard this before I found it some where else...and well there are more techs here then any where else.

"Someone recently said that Chicco says you have to meet all 3 requirements: weight, shell clearance, AND height. Once ANY of the 3 are broken, you have to discontinue using the seat."

I'm just wondering because well I have this seat and I figured it was like any other rf seat and it was out grown when there was less then one inch of shell left.

Thanks
Karie

ADS

armywife12

Rear facing seats are outgrown when the child reaches the weight limit or when there is less than am inch of shell above the child's head. Many seats come with stated height limits but those are merely guidelines as children carry their height differently.

TiaxMarie

Rear facing seats are outgrown when the child reaches the weight limit or when there is less than am inch of shell above the child's head. Many seats come with stated height limits but those are merely guidelines as children carry their height differently.

I agree. We got a Keyfit30 for the new baby and plan on using it until she has less than an inch of shell above her head, or until I don't feel like using it anymore. My kids are tall, long torsoed, and I feel comfortable ignoring the stated height limit. :thumbsup:

Kegracin

I agree. We got a Keyfit30 for the new baby and plan on using it until she has less than an inch of shell above her head, or until I don't feel like using it anymore. My kids are tall, long torsoed, and I feel comfortable ignoring the stated height limit. :thumbsup:

That's was my plan too, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Might happen at the same time, it did for my baby, , though she was a little under the weight limit... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5015871597836312962
All seats have pretty much the same rules (weight, head height, stated height limit, when the first one is reached, the seat is technically outgrown), but most of us feel comfortable using the height limit as a guideline rather than a hard rule for our own kids, as long as the other two rules are strictly stuck to (exceeding the weight or letting the head get too close to the top can increase injury risk in a crash because the seat may 'over rotate' and dump down too far, allowing the head to strike something in the interior of the car, like the front seat backs or side door).

HappyMommy

"Someone recently said that Chicco says you have to meet all 3 requirements: weight, shell clearance, AND height. Once ANY of the 3 are broken, you have to discontinue using the seat."

That's what the manual says and it is also what Chicco will tell you if you call them to ask (which I did). People here are ok disregarding the height limit and going with the 1 inch rule. However, this is not Chicco's position.

Cryssy Jane

That's what the manual says and it is also what Chicco will tell you if you call them to ask (which I did). People here are ok disregarding the height limit and going with the 1 inch rule. However, this is not Chicco's position.

I've called Chicco and was never told this. I was just told height and weight. My manual also only says height and weight, mentions nothing of shell clearance. Also (now I did ask for a supervisor not a general customer service agent), the supervisor was completely ok with the 1 inch rule as long as baby doesn't exceed weight limits.

cryswilkins

No manufacture is going to tell you to disregard their stated height limits. ;) I believe that NHTSA requires that they have a height limit stated in the manual, so that is what they do, however I think they probably pull it out of their butts.

HappyMommy

I've called Chicco and was never told this. I was just told height and weight. My manual also only says height and weight, mentions nothing of shell clearance. Also (now I did ask for a supervisor not a general customer service agent), the supervisor was completely ok with the 1 inch rule as long as baby doesn't exceed weight limits.

Have you looked at the manual for the KeyFit30 recently?
I am quoting from page 24 of my Keyfit30 manual:
"ONLY use this child restraint if the child meets all of the following requirements:
- weight between 4 and 30 pounds (2 and 13.5 kg)
- height is less than 30 inches (76cm)
- top of head is at least 1 inch below top of carrier"
When I called Chicco, the customer representative was pretty adamant that ALL the requirements had to be met.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC