Turbobooster lifespan

pj2rc

What is the lifespan on Turboboosters? My kids are 4 and 2, so they don't need one yet -- but was thinking it wouldn't hurt to pick one up as a back up if I was hauling a cousin etc. However that doesn't happen too often so I could probably use their seats - but I just did last week actually and didn't really like the booster parents provided. But if it will last 7 yrs then I guess it woudn't hurt t get my own - I'll need it eventually. ..... then the only other decision is the Let's Go at Target on clearance for around $32 or a pink one at Wal-mart for $40 plus a $10 GC. .... I have 2 girls, but can see a problem with pink if any boys need to use it :D. I know the TB is a good seat, but I wish they would figure out a way to make it stay together when taking it in and out of the car ... what a PITA. I know a lot of people that need to switch boosters around w/ carpooling etc. I really like the reading lights in the Big kid booster, and it seems to stay together better --- but not a great seat! the 2 seats need to merge :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
December of the sixth year. So if you got a January 2010 one it'd be good until December 2016, nearly seven years. Otherwise, if you get one made in April or May 2010 it's still just good until December 2016. If you get a December 2009 (which it may be, on clearance), then it would be December 2015.

Wendy

pj2rc

ok -- I get the expiraions -- I really do. But a seat made Dec 26 2009 and a seat January 5 2010 shouldn't have an entire 1 yr diff on lifespan. It's that kind of thing that makes people believe it's all maketing for expirations. And I understand that a lot of it is just to get old seats off the market, but still --- why should the Dec 26 09 seat need to come off the market a whole year earlier?

ETA - when they are arbitrary like that w/ their expiration dates, then people use their own arbitary judgement in when to stop using it. Is that just a Graco thing for Dec of the 6th year --- as opposed to 6 yrs from DOM?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, I know, it's weird. But as a tech, I can't tell you otherwise. If you call Graco and ask, I'd LOVE to hear their logic behind it. LOL Dorel does the same thing, December of the sixth or eighth.

Wendy

pj2rc

Yeah, I know, it's weird. But as a tech, I can't tell you otherwise. If you call Graco and ask, I'd LOVE to hear their logic behind it. LOL Dorel does the same thing, December of the sixth or eighth.

Wendy

:) -- I know as a tech you can' tell me otherwise, but knowing that is their system -- if I bought a seat w/ a Dec DOM, I would probably use it another year. I am tempted to call them just to see what their answer is. I may ave to snd thm an email.

christineka

I called Graco and they told me 6 years. My guess is that they don't want to make a new expiration stamp every month and just make a new one annually. I believe that all the manufacturers that stamp expiration dates all stamp December of the 6th year. The rest go by 6, 7, or 8 years from dom.

AwwMama

OP, thank you for asking this question. I saw these same TB in our Target yesterday and have been contemplating one since.
Whether it's right by Graco standards or not, I completely see your point about 7 days of manufacturing affecting an entire year of use. Off to check the expirations tomorow to see how feasible it would be to buy one...

pj2rc

Here was the response I received:
"During the manufacture process the date can not be continually changed. There must be a cut off date and year based on the year the seat was manufactured. This date is used for the entire year of manufacture and it is a suggested useful life date."

I understand they can't change the date daily. But it seems to me there would be a way to change it even monthly. My DH works in a factory and they have to change things on the equipment all the time for procudt change overs, etc. But I guess if it keeps the cost down.... Just seems stinking that they are shaving usable time off the seats and then people are either none the wiser, or the really cynical people then think it's a scam and will use seats WAY beyond the usable life.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC