Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Coupons- How to shop for free

Is there any help for those of us who don't buy conventional brand stuff?

I won't buy anything made by Proctor/Gamble, Unilever, Palmolive, etc.

I always get sad because the coupons I see are for Aveeno or other items that I just can't support.

Is there ways we can save too or is it just expensive trying to save the world?

I guess I could start by going to the websites of brands I do buy and looking for coupons there. But then there is nothing to combine them with and, eh, saving 50 cents doesn't excite me much you know?
    -Alicia, CPST, RN!-
    Lady to the Mister, mama to my little Shrimptastic birthday present, Liam (7/29/10), and my v2.0, Declan (9/14/13). Rockin' a Nextfit, BeLogic, and Aton2.

http://ashortstorymadelong.blogspot.com

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kidzndogz View Post

I always get sad because the coupons I see are for Aveeno or other items that I just can't support.

I guess I could start by going to the websites of brands I do buy and looking for coupons there. But then there is nothing to combine them with and, eh, saving 50 cents doesn't excite me much you know?
    Some times you may find that rare deal to combine with. Also you can save q's maybe for things you aren't opposed to buying even if you don't use them yourselves (say organic make-up... I dunno something that you don't boycott but may or may not actually use personally, hopefully you get my point) Like the coppertone sunscreens- I don't know if you boycott that co. let alone use it but even if you don't use it personally if you plan it right it looks like it might actually be a moneyMAKER after coupons and the single check rebate program, meaning you make money from buying the items, money you could use elsewhere to buy other stuff. And even if you won't use "it" (be it sunscreen or make up or cat food because you don't have a cat or whatever) you can always donate it when buying it actually means extra $ in your pocket then you started with.
    *Lisa*
    Momma to my 5 monkeys-
    J 9/01, A 6/03, B 10/04, E 9/06 and C 11/09

I was out of town for the weekend, w/o internet... so I apologize for taking a bit to respond to some of the new questions.

1) - rebates- I have used coupons on every rebate I've done for personal care items. ( cell phones or staples or officemax i rarely have coupons to go with the rebate).

I have never had a rebate rejected for using coupons on it. If you look at your CVS receipt for the aveeno products. it lists the prices as 6.49 or 5.99 (or whatever the price it.) As long as those ad up to over $25 before coupons you should be fine. Its those prices you circle on the receipt.
    The coupons come off later. and on CVS receipts they will either say "cvs coupon" "store coupon" or just "coupon" i believe. they do NOT say "aveeno coupon" and they do not show up right next to your aveeno products. All coupons are listed at the end.

I do olay rebates all the time that are money makers. That I've only spend $7, but i get $15 back. You can choose to not do the aveeno deal, thats fine. I will be doing it. I will copy all the paperwork i send in, and I will letcha know when I get the rebate.

Some general coupon rules-

In general 1 manufacturer Q and 1 store coupon can be "stacked" together.
    If you have a $3 off 2 toothpastes q from crest, you can use 2 store coupons with it, but not another $1 off one from crest.. your 2nd coupon needs to be a target or stop n shop or publix or cvs coupon.

If the store is running a buy one get one, you can use 2 manufacturer q's or a $x off 2 manufacturer coupon. If the store is running that as an advertised sale, that does not require a store coupon, and you have a store coupon.. you can use the store and manufacturer coupon .. example"

CVS and rite aid are doing stayfree products bogo.

you can use 2 $2 off (or $1off, whatever the q is..) stayfree manufactuer q's.

*IF* there were a cvs or ra coupon for $1 off stayfree, you could use 1 or 2 of those as well. (some stores only allow one of their store q's per transaction.. target is that way sometimes..)...

so.. there is a "sale" price, plus manufacturer q's, plus store q's. this is how you get the best deals.

RA- rite aid is like a whole different universe as they put out SO many coupons. Like I said, RA q's often say "manufacturer" q, but they AREN'T. Any q that starts with RA then has a bunch of numbers, is a RA STORE q. To be a manufacturer q, it MUST have an address to send it to on the coupon.. and i believe its number must start with a 5.

I posted RA's coupon policy somewhere, and it talks about stacking q's. it does not specifically state if you can or can not stack multiple different RA q's for the same product with either other... being that they are different q's, I think you can.

My ra lets me do a video value q and an in ad q and a man q w/o any issues, but I know some people have had their RA not let them. Its a ymmv... and until rite aid clarifies their coupon policy more.. i think you can. They are rolling out a ton of new programs, they need to figure out what they are going to do or not do, and make it a clearly stated policy, and then we wont have these questions

I have personally done the coppertone deal.. they ran the same sale w/the same q's available at the beginning of june or late may. I got 2 bottles (in 2 seperate transactions).. and it worked fine.. soo.. try if you'd like.
    Lauren
    NICU RN, CPST and Nanny

To address some other questions:

You will find the most coupons for popular/new items, and generally coupons from the big companies like p&g or unilever. What you will or will not buy is up to you.. but you will find more q's for "mainstream" things.. Like, you will find deals on laundry soap, but not so much on the ingredients to make laundry soap.

however, sometimes you will walk into stores and find stuff on clearance.. like.. i walked in to walgreens once adn they had sugar and flour on sale for like. $0.99.. let me tell ya, I scooped that up!

sometimes if you can get an item for free, that works into a scenario for you (in the $x off x amount coupons).. or just if you can make it a money maker ( like the mens body wash that is often free after RR at walgreens, with a $2 coupon, you make 2 dollars on it)... donate it. I'm goin to post a GDA (good deal alert) for stayfree products. .. you might not use them.. but the womens shelter would probably love getting some. I might not have a lot of.. solid cash to donate, but ive donated a lot of body wash and deoderant and such..

so ya, the pickier you are with brands, the less likely you are to get stuff for free. you can still get good deals, but maybe not as good as a different brand.

Coupons do come out for the more natural products. just not all the time. I know i have some 7th generation q's, toms of maine coupons and i've had the clorox greenworks also..
    Lauren
    NICU RN, CPST and Nanny

But if you save .50 on 10 things, that's 5 bucks more in your pocket. There are other ways to save without coupons, such as menu planning based on the weekly sales, making a list AND sticking to it, knowing your store's sale cycles, stockpiling, cooking from scratch, and shopping less.

You can also email companies every 3 months or so and compliment their products. Or say you'd like to try their products - can they give an incentive for trying it (i.e. a coupon).
    Elise (12.22.07) 55# 49" in an Affix
    Lindsey (5.17.09) 45# 47" in an Affix

Owen (4.13.12) 35# 39" in an RXT or XTSL
    Riding in a 2011 Honda Pilot or 2010 Mazda CX9

Quote Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
    But if you save .50 on 10 things, that's 5 bucks more in your pocket. There are other ways to save without coupons, such as menu planning based on the weekly sales, making a list AND sticking to it, knowing your store's sale cycles, stockpiling, cooking from scratch, and shopping less.

You can also email companies every 3 months or so and compliment their products. Or say you'd like to try their products - can they give an incentive for trying it (i.e. a coupon).

super good points!! Def watch sales! Like, I know this week at my local shaws... blue berries are bogo, and there is a shaws $1 off 2 ... so i'll be getting 2 packs for $1 less than a single container should be!

also, sign up for the grocery stores you use.. their mailing lists.. i randomly get coupons in the snail mail for "10 off 30 dollars" or whatever.. and those are good for anything you wanna buy

and yes even the $0.50 off or other little coupons ad up!
    Lauren
    NICU RN, CPST and Nanny

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bp2002 View Post
    im bad at links, i'll learn.
    Just for you: How to link.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post

Also, if your grocery store doubles - that $.50 just became a dollar bill in your pocket.

I second the emailling companies - especially if there's something you love, that's relatively spendy and never has coupons, but you love. One for instance for me was dog food. When I lost my last job, I was feeding Skylar Lassie brand - it was the cheapest food that didn't contain corn, which he can't tolerate. I emailled the company praising the food, and the relatively affordable price ($8 for a 5# bag) and got 3! $5 off coupons back from them.

I also second using things you're mildly opposed to at Rite Aid/CVS as fillers, and then donating. One other thing I do is watch for baby/low dose aspirin at such times to give to my dad. He's on aspirin therapy, and they live on a fairly tight income. If I can get it for free/moneymaker, it doesn't cost me anything but my time and I'm at the store anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TerisBoys View Post
    OK - Meijer this week actually has some really nice deals.

Ground Angus from Chuck - $1.69/#, limit 3 packages
    The Ground Angus from Chuck is here in MI to. The three packages I found out yesterday is not just three of the prepackaged two lb things, you can go to the meat counter and basically there is no lb limit like normal, when I asked the lady said, it is three packages, how many lb would you like per package? So I took three 5lb packages, and I am going to freeze it. 25.50 dollars for 15lb is great.
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting

Another thing to watch for are free (mostly mens) razors. When a new kind comes out, there are generally deals at the drug stores, plus mq's that make them free or $0.99. I havent bought my brother a pack of just blades in almost a year. The new razers always have one or two blades in the package and he uses those.. the pack of refil razors are what get soo expensive!

also, when companies like schick put out "save $2 on any schick disposable razor".. well CVS sells a travel pack of schick womens razors for $1.39 I believe... so.. 2 free razors for you CVS can price adjust the coupon down to the price of the package, and trial size wasnt excluded on the coupon.

target tends to give me a hard time about buying trial size items, but if the coupon does not exclude trial sizes.. there is nothing wrong with using them on trial size.

if you like bic solei razors.. when you get coupons for them.. ( I dont currently have any coupons, but Ive used some recently..they might not be expired, you can check the coupon data bank @ afullcup.com if you'd like).. save the coupons until the razors go on sale for $3.99, which is pretty frequently.. $0.99 for a pack of the solei is a good deal! (i believe they are 3.99 this week at target or kmart...)

happy shopping!!
    Lauren
    NICU RN, CPST and Nanny

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swtgi1982 View Post
    The Ground Angus from Chuck is here in MI to. The three packages I found out yesterday is not just three of the prepackaged two lb things, you can go to the meat counter and basically there is no lb limit like normal, when I asked the lady said, it is three packages, how many lb would you like per package? So I took three 5lb packages, and I am going to freeze it. 25.50 dollars for 15lb is great.
    Yes - the items tend to be the same chain-wide with Meijer, but the prices vary. The ground chuck is $1.79 at my store, which is still good, but not stellar. I'll get a couple pounds when I shop, but I know it can go lower.

Another quick tip-

if you buy vitamins from stores.. (not a specialty online type place..) always wait for a BOGO sale. Almost every week the drug stores have some vitamin sale that is bogo, and there are often mq's to use on top of the sale.

naturebounty vitamins website lets you enter the product codes from their vitamins to earn more mq's. sometimes you can google search for codes to enter
    Lauren
    NICU RN, CPST and Nanny

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bp2002 View Post
    if you buy vitamins from stores..
    Speaking of vitamins, probiotic coupons can often be found on the product websites. There's also a $7 off (!) coupon for Florastor on Coupons.com right now. (Good only at CVS®, Rite Aid®, Walgreens®, and Walmart®) I get coupons e-mailed from Culturelle on a regular basis, too.

Also, on the topic of organization, my friend Julia just wrote an article about organizing coupons.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!