WWYD for my neice?

AtTheSouthDam

I am taking DD1, DD2 and my step niece to the movies Tuesday and the rest of that day (DD2's birthday). What seat do I put her in?
She is about 41"-42" tall and SIL says she weighs "at least 40#". I picked her up Sunday, she didn't feel substantially heavier than DD2. Niece 3y 9m and mom has her riding in an Evenflo Big Kid booster so I am not using that. I honestly think she says she is 40# that so I don't say anything about her being in a booster.

I have a YS with 40# harness limit and the RN80. So I suppose the seat is a no brainer. The question is, do I use the Safestop or no? I don't believe she is actually 40# but I can't weigh her before hand (we are meeting at the theater). I also know that simply picking a child up is not a great way to guess weight. They can be lighter if they want picked up, heavy if not. It is kid magic.
So, with safestop and LATCHed?
No Safestop and LATCHed?
Or no safe stop and seat belt and no tether (the only situation the safe stop doesn't come into play.)
Niece said Sunday she needs a seat like DD1's :rolleyes: (She is way too skinny for the Monterey, and too young).

ADS

Evolily

I'd do seat belt and safe stop. Using the safe stop over 40 lbs has to be safer than no tether. You'd have a seat belt, thus a tether isn't as important as when using LATCH.

Dillipop

I'd use latch or seatbelt with tether and with safestop. My thinking is that the original safestops were allowed to be used to 48 pounds, so if she is 41 or 42 or even 45 pounds, it's still under the original 48. If I knew for sure she was over the 40 pounds of the listed 40 lbs safestop limit, I'd remove the safestop, but since you're not sure, I'd have no problem leaving it on for this one day.

tiggercat

Hm, do we have any reason to think that using the seat without the safestop under 40lbs would be dangerous? I think I'd rather not use the SS with an unknown weighted kiddo, because if she is too heavy for it, the risk is increased head excursion, which would be undesireable.

AtTheSouthDam

What a torso!
So I ended up taking the safe stop off. My niece has a huge torso, less than 1" from the top slots on the RN!! I thought since there was only a an inch or two difference in height the torso would be similar :rolleyes: But with a torso like that I believe she over 40#!

So, yeah, I got to change seats around in a hot movie theater parking lot.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you think she is CLOSE to 40, I'd do Radian, tether, no SS. Remember that the SS just increases the amount the head goes forward to reduce neck loading; at her age if she's close to 40, I think it's probably something I'd do if there was a CHANCE she was over 40. I would NOT want to use it over 40.

Okay, just saw your update. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC