If you could not tether, what seat(s) would you use?

glockchick

Can't do it in my truck. Dealership won't. I have all the links that says they will but they're being stupid. :rolleyes:

And if the fix is what I found on here for a "99 suburban, it won't work for us. I have to have cargo space. 3 big straps criss crossing my cargo area. Who came up with that anyway? :thumbsdown: Also, that wouldn't find my middle row need anyway. :rolleyes:

That's what I get for having 6 kids. LOL!

ADS

Maedze

I would take it to another dealer. You don't stop there. They are required to do it, and if you bark up the tree enough you'll get another response. It can be done.

glockchick

I could try, but I'd have to go 3 hrs to Houston.

And if this is the fix....
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=981799&postcount=47

how do I fit anything else back there? For instance, we're going to the beach this weekend. I need a stroller, canopy, big ol ice chest, 8 towels at least, and a couple changes of clothes for everyone. It has to go back there because all the seats will be full. How do I work that?

Nisha

I would keep trying, different dealerships etc.

But if it doesn't work, I am way more comfortable with Radian's un-tethered than anything else.

Maedze

I would keep trying, different dealerships etc.

But if it doesn't work, I am way more comfortable with Radian's un-tethered than anything else.

Actually, the Nautilus blows the Radian out of the water when it comes to untethered head excursion numbers.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Rear-face everyone under 45#, Nautiluses for those over 45# and under age 6 (fairly arbitrary cutoff), boosters for everyone over 45# and age 6.

DahliaRW

Can you contact coorporate and complain about your local dealership?

Or maybe order the anchors from ezon and do it yourself?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would take it to another dealer. You don't stop there. They are required to do it, and if you bark up the tree enough you'll get another response. It can be done.

Rear-face everyone under 45#, Nautiluses for those over 45# and under age 6 (fairly arbitrary cutoff), boosters for everyone over 45# and age 6.

Absolutely what Maedze said. I wouldn't waste time driving 3 hours, just start calling..call all the way up the corporate ladder until you get someone to ORDER your local dealership to do it, period.

RF all kids you possible can, booster those that are too big to RF. IF yopu have a child who is too big to RF, but yet you absolutely can NOT see putting in a booster, use a nauti.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A long belt path installation does seem intuitively to secure the top of an untethered carseat with the routing of the shoulder belt, but we don't have substantive data to prove it serves as effectively as top tethering to my knowledge, and a LBP seatbelt install of a carseat that allows it also doesn't substitute for top tethering when the carseat requires it. LBP seatbelt installs can be used on the Frontier models and the Regent and no other current or recently discontinued carseat models. I'm not sure of the size stats for the OP's children or what carseats she already has, but top tethering is required for the Frontier and Frontier 85 in harnessed mode for a child who weighs 65 lbs and up, and required for the Regent at 50 lbs. and up and also starting at 40 lbs. if it's a post-advisory Regent. Both the Frontier and Regent can be tricky to utilize in 3 across situations as well. My vote would be the Nauti or Radian if either is compatible in the vehicle and 3 across, but I'd first pursue the tether anchor retrofit further and try to make it workable. :twocents:

NannyMom

Absolutely what Maedze said. I wouldn't waste time driving 3 hours, just start calling..call all the way up the corporate ladder until you get someone to ORDER your local dealership to do it, period.

RF all kids you possible can, booster those that are too big to RF. IF yopu have a child who is too big to RF, but yet you absolutely can NOT see putting in a booster, use a nauti.

:yeahthat:

featherhead

If it was me, I would HAVE to rear-face all kids under 40 or 45 lbs, and booster those over, because in Canada, it is illegal to not use the top tether.

Mommy0608

Would you rear-face a 40 lb 6 year old? :eek:

I wouldn't, I'd booster that child as long as he/she sits properly.

I also agree with other suggestions... RF as long as possible, probably in Radians, then FF in a Radian or Nautilus, or go straight to booster depending on age/size/maturity. However, I would further pursue getting top tether anchors installed first.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Would you rear-face a 40 lb 6 year old? :eek:

the one listed as having a parkway in your sig? Nope, a 6 yo used to booster sitting, I would just booster..heck...*ANY* 6 yo, I would probably booster, unless they were phenomenally un-booster-ready. :thumbsup:

If your sig is correct, your situation is actually simple...thank goodness, its not likie you have a bunch of 4-5 yos which would be "tough calls" RF your tinies 3 and under, and booster your bigs, 6 and over! Simple, perfect!

glockchick

She does sit wonderfully rear facing. She's super responsible and an "old soul". :)

It has gotten easier as the kids have gotten older. The 3 year old will be 4 in August. She's 35 lbs, not sure how tall, but today she was at the next to last slots in the Marathon. Sometimes she seems just over them. Not sure why

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If there was no seat that fit a child rear-facing, and they were not booster-ready, and I had a lap/shoulder belt, I'd get a RSTV rather than use a traditional seat untethered. Personally.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC