Now My Nautilus!

libranbutterfly

What keeps happening to my seats? Luckily, Graco is replacing, I just need a box.

DSCN0649.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0647.jpg

And the verdict on my radian is that it is unsafe to keep using it, but they can not help me at all, because it is an environmental problem, not a manufacturing problem. I can't find my original post about it, but here are a couple of pictures.
DSCN0638.jpg

DSCN0637.jpg

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
She's in Kentucky, that's pretty far from the ocean. But that was my first thought as well. I could see that from living, say, on the Cape with the car not garaged and leaving the windows open all the time...maybe...but, man, that's pretty bad corrosion!

Are you vehicle seat belts like that at all? Other metal parts on your car?

Anything in or around your house breaking down like that?

glockchick

She's in Kentucky, that's pretty far from the ocean. But that was my first thought as well. I could see that from living, say, on the Cape with the car not garaged and leaving the windows open all the time...maybe...but, man, that's pretty bad corrosion!

What on earth environmental are they blaming that on?

I just don't see it in KY. The only thing I can remotely think of would be fertilizer for crops or something similar....

Mommy0608

That's crazy! :eek: I agree, if you can't find a reasonable cause of the problem, report it to NHTSA.

On a side note, this is a prime example of why it's a good idea to periodically uninstall and thoroughly check your seats! It's also proof of why a CPST needs to see all car seats uninstalled (we hear those stories of bad experiences where the CPST just gave the seat a tug and didn't uninstall).

menfusse

Wow! How are they claiming environmental? I'm in KY and I've had my fair share of car seats and I've never seen anything like that!

4boysmom

Wow! How are they claiming environmental? I'm in KY and I've had my fair share of car seats and I've never seen anything like that!

If it happened to two different brands of seats it seems a very odd conincidence that it isn't something (at least fairly) unique to her environment that is causing it vs. a "bad batch" of radians or a bad batch of nautilus plastics. OP do you have some sort of "scotch guard" (or the like) on your vehicle seats. Are these seats always installed or do they lean up against something in the garage, or could they be peed on by say a rat if kept in the closet or garage? I dunno grasping at straws thinking the possible common denominators.

sunnymw

That's crazy! :eek: I agree, if you can't find a reasonable cause of the problem, report it to NHTSA.

On a side note, this is a prime example of why it's a good idea to periodically uninstall and thoroughly check your seats! It's also proof of why a CPST needs to see all car seats uninstalled (we hear those stories of bad experiences where the CPST just gave the seat a tug and didn't uninstall).

Yes, this absolutely!!!!! When I had mine looked at the other day (by someone I knew that was a CPST and I was inside and couldn't watch, just gave him the keys) he APOLOGIZED for uninstalling them :love:

If it happened to two different brands of seats it seems a very odd conincidence that it isn't something (at least fairly) unique to her environment that is causing it vs. a "bad batch" of radians or a bad batch of nautilus plastics. OP do you have some sort of "scotch guard" (or the like) on your vehicle seats. Are these seats always installed or do they lean up against something in the garage, or could they be peed on by say a rat if kept in the closet or garage? I dunno grasping at straws thinking the possible common denominators.

That's what I was thinking. Have you tried maybe shampooing right there in your car? was that seat in the same area of the car? Have you tried parking differently? Is something THERE?

libranbutterfly

No, the only thing I can see in my car is some rust if you take the back seat all the way out. DHs car has cigarette holes from the previous owners. Nothing else in my car or home have had any problems.

Car seats have been recalled due to excessive corrosion of metal parts. Report it to NHTSA.

Thanks, I will do that if I dont make any headway.

What on earth environmental are they blaming that on?

I just don't see it in KY. The only thing I can remotely think of would be fertilizer for crops or something similar....

They said from it being overly humid or wet. The only thing ever transported in my and DHs cars are kids, groceries, and laundry.

They were in different cars, but they are both older cars, and we haven't treated the fabric with anything, so anything from the factory should be worn off. When the seats are not installed, they are in my living room. No garage or closet space. :eek:

Yes, this absolutely!!!!! When I had mine looked at the other day (by someone I knew that was a CPST and I was inside and couldn't watch, just gave him the keys) he APOLOGIZED for uninstalling them :love:

That's what I was thinking. Have you tried maybe shampooing right there in your car? was that seat in the same area of the car? Have you tried parking differently? Is something THERE?

I currently dont have any seats in DH's car, I will give it a deep cleaning before I put more in it, but the seats dont even stay installed, I move them around every few weeks, and change covers almost as often (until the girls picked favorites :rolleyes: ) The only seat that stays in one place is the husky, and even it gets removed every other month or so. (I just cant use it in my car, takes up too much room)

I am just at a loss. I have been uninstalling my seats and re checking them every few days now, I am freaking out.

I agree, this is a perfect example of the need to remove seats at checks. from the front, both seats look A-OK, and they were installed securely.

Zaiyne

if your car was a used car it is possible it is a "fixed" flood car... DH and I have ran into several and even at dealer ships. Which they only know what they are told and what's reported. Have you ever pulled all the seat belts out all the way and looked at the belt where it comes out. That is one place flood cars tend to not get cleaned. Other wise I have not a clue and would steam clean the seats with just water to see what the water looks like afterward and go from there.

libranbutterfly

if your car was a used car it is possible it is a "fixed" flood car... DH and I have ran into several and even at dealer ships. Which they only know what they are told and what's reported. Have you ever pulled all the seat belts out all the way and looked at the belt where it comes out. That is one place flood cars tend to not get cleaned. Other wise I have not a clue and would steam clean the seats with just water to see what the water looks like afterward and go from there.

I know it was not a used flood car. We have all the original sale receipts and everything. The kid we got it from got it from grandma, who bought it new. He got into a fender bender 2 months later, and just sold the car for $200 to avoid trying to fix it (he wanted a newer car) I know all of this because grandpa was there the day we picked it up, and was furious with his grandson for selling it for so little when it just needed a few parts. My dad fixed it up for me.

Hubby's car was driven up until the owner got thrown in jail, and then my hubby's aunt, a mechanic, bought it off of them so they could get out of jail. i suppose it is possible that it could have been flooded, I will investigate :) I am going to have to make hubby drive my car one day so I can get his seats cleaned out before the new nautilus gets here.

Good thinking about cleaning w/ just water. I have to go get my small steam cleaner from my MILs house.

Zaiyne

I know it was not a used flood car. We have all the original sale receipts and everything. The kid we got it from got it from grandma, who bought it new. He got into a fender bender 2 months later, and just sold the car for $200 to avoid trying to fix it (he wanted a newer car) I know all of this because grandpa was there the day we picked it up, and was furious with his grandson for selling it for so little when it just needed a few parts. My dad fixed it up for me.

Hubby's car was driven up until the owner got thrown in jail, and then my hubby's aunt, a mechanic, bought it off of them so they could get out of jail. i suppose it is possible that it could have been flooded, I will investigate :) I am going to have to make hubby drive my car one day so I can get his seats cleaned out before the new nautilus gets here.

Good thinking about cleaning w/ just water. I have to go get my small steam cleaner from my MILs house.

I just know how many people don't have insurance and others just don't report things so there is no way of telling by paper work trail anyway.
after working QC for a company making seats for cars... typically I actually say don't steam clean your seats use rubbing alcohol but with the issue you are having I would use water before anything. I'd just try to keep from soaking the seats to much... steam cleaning seats can pull up grease and other mess from the foam to the top of the cover staining it. :whistle:

libranbutterfly

I just know how many people don't have insurance and others just don't report things so there is no way of telling by paper work trail anyway.
after working QC for a company making seats for cars... typically I actually say don't steam clean your seats use rubbing alcohol but with the issue you are having I would use water before anything. I'd just try to keep from soaking the seats to much... steam cleaning seats can pull up grease and other mess from the foam to the top of the cover staining it. :whistle:

Good to know, thanks! Although I am not worried about the looks of these cars, i I wouldnt want any other junk on the surface either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC