Would you be comfy with knees overhanging in RF Radian

sweetfeet

Would you be comfy with knees overhanging in RF Radian. added pics in reply

My little guy is 3y8m and has outgrown the rear facing limit on his blvd and true fit, so I purchased a Radian XTSL for him and it arrived yesterday.

I have an 07 Corolla and it installed easily and fairly upright outboard on the passenger side. I want to keep him rear facing for awhile yet because he has leukemia and he has a infusion port implanted right where the harness goes on his right side. So my fear is that a hard stop or accident while forward facing would put a lot of pressure on the port. The surgeon who placed it obviously wasn't thinking that day with regards to placement.

The issue is two fold. The radian is known for leg room but Atticus just got AFOs yesterday as well as his new seat. AFOs are ankle braces for those needing deciphering. :) So he can only froggy in his seat now. His knees hang over the edge of the seat about 4" so the only thing between the door of the car and the radian is his left leg. The radian has about 6" of space from the door. I can't put him center because his sister's booster is driver's side outboard.

Would you use the seat with his legs overhanging so much? He didn't say he was uncomfy and actually likes the seat. I wish the TF went to 40 pounds rfing.

Last edited:
ADS

cryway903

Yes, i probably would let him ride that way. Unless i could rearrange seats so he could ride center seat. Could you reharness your daughter? I think i would worry more about what slamming on the brakes could do since its the most likely to occur. How long will the pump be implanted in that spot? If its a year or less you could get a rf seat that goes to 40 lbs with deeper sides and get a Radian later. That would mean double the buying but the deeper sides might support his leg enough to keep it up.

sweetfeet

He'll have the port until 1/13. I would love to rear face him and then booster him in a very good booster at 5 or 6 with the seatbelt across the non ported side.

My 8 year old is 95% for height and weight and has outgrown every harnessed seat except the fr85, which she's right there in. It would take up just as much space and not puzzle well with the radian. I may take the old school parkway out of daddy's car and see if she can buckle it easier without armrests in the way. I can't push her booster too far outboard because the head rest hits the door frame. :p

I too felt that rear facing outweighs the risks of his leg hanging over, but wanted to be sure.

Any other opinions?

armywife12

I'm ok with it as well. This is how my 34 month old sits in his xtsl. It made me a little nervous when he was outerboard but not enough to flip him. Actually, he ff in the xtsl a few times in my MILs vehicle and he sat the same way lol. It was kind if funny. Wish I had a pic.

AtTheSouthDam

It is how my 4 yo (in 5 days) sits in her RN. She loves it and I am comfortable with it. She sits behond the driver, not center so her left knee is closer to the door. She likes to kick it.

sweetfeet

Excuse the crudy pictures. I started to run in for my good camera and remembered my droid was in my pocket. :)

Any guess on angle? I'll tether it when I go back out. Is it okay if I just use the d-ring from my blvd since it's already on the leg of the seat?
4729918297_b20a86d1e9_b.jpg

He really likes the radian. I had both the blvd and radian in there last night and he wanted to ride in the radian after trying it out.
4729918279_53ed41fd6a_b.jpg

I think he has 2" above his head of growing room. Anyone agree or disagree? When I push his head back it's right below the blue wording. Perspective is off slightly here. I think this could get him to 5 years, maybe even 5 1/2. I'll start booster training at 5. He just had a huge growth spurt while he was on tube feeds for 8 weeks.
4729918285_99e3f7a493_b.jpg

His legs and how much they hang over. He'll have the same brace on the other leg as well in 2 weeks.
4729918301_003fae32e9_b.jpg

Maedze

That's normal looking. That's how kids sit in rear facing seats, braces or no :) It's perfectly safe.

He's got around 3-4" of head clearance. Definitely more than two inches.

I'd say you're at about 35-40...good angle :)

I'd recommend using the radian d-ring provided with the seat.

Nisha

It looks just fine! I think he would have a harder time in the TF because the sides are taller so his legs would be more upright and cramped (in our experience, that is.), and he wouldn't be able to hang his legs over the side!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC