WWYD Re: Shoulder belts coming out of belt guides

christineka

My boosters are shoved to the sides of my van. Well, the vivo moves away from the side the more dd sits in it, but when it is excessively difficult for the other two to buckle, I move the vivo back over. The shoulderbelt, however is at the wrong angle to fit in the belt guide. Or maybe, the belt guide is at the wrong angle. I switched the vivo and bodyguard around and they have the same problem. The bodyguard will be okay for awhile, but then come out again. Actually, I think it is worse as the headrest is raised.

So, what to do about it? I had taped the shoulderbelt guide closed on the bodyguard. Oh, I know that's a no no. I figured it would keep the belt in place and in an accident, things would go so fast that the belt would lock up in place. Maybe not, but I thought it was worth a shot. I had to move the seat and the tape didn't re-stick, so it is gone now.

I tried moving the boosters around. That won't solve the problem. I could switch all my big kids to backless boosters with attached belt guides. That would solve the problem, but I spent good money on high back boosters and would rather not switch out of them until outgrown, or at an older age (around 10 or so).

I can put car seats back there. There's no tether anchor on the driver's side. I'd put dd3 back there in an untethered radian- or, because there are two sides, I'd put a rfing radian on one side and a ffing radian on the other. It would be a pain in the rear, but it would work. While I'm at it, I could stick all three car seats in the back. That might be easier than making dd1 squish between car seats. Or, I could put dd1 in her backless on one side and car seats in the middle and on the other side.

The possibilities are endless!

WWYD?

Oh and ETA after reading about the sk belt guard- Once when dd1 was seated next to dd3, I later went out to find dd1 had unbuckled dd3 and didn't bother to tell me about it. Dd1 is the type of kid to not tell me things like that, so I do not want her sitting next to a car seat on the two buckle stalk side.

ADS

christineka

Come on! Help me make a decision! Dh took the car before I could get the seats out, so no playing car seats until tonight.

Dillipop

In my Buick, the shoulder belt slips out of the vivo belt guide. It hangs out about half way. My solution was to put it in dh's car, which has compatible belts and the belt stays in the guides. The monterey now lives in my Buick and I've never had the belt slip out. I think it's because the belt guides opening is on the bottom of the monterey guide, whereas the opening is at the back of the vivo guide. My belts in the Buick just don't mesh well with the vivo. (However, the belt still flows freely through the guide, just half way into it. I use it if I have to in my Buick.)

christineka

New boosters is a nice idea, but I refuse. Dh would just be exasperated with me. I'm not buying any new high back boosters for four years.

So, I went out and got 2 rfing radians and a rfing true fit on my third row. I have no idea how kids would get in, or who would sit where. I may take them out and try again. The true fit wouldn't fit ffing. I measured and don't think the regent will fit. If I put the driver's side radian ffing, I could put in the regent, but I don't need two ffing seats. I refuse to stick dd3 ffing inbetween rfing seats in the third row. I could stick ds1 back in a radian on one side and dd3 in a radian on the other. Someone would be untethered and then I'd be short a rfing seat. I don't want ds2 ffing (most of the time) until age 4 or 5. I will have to put him in the radian at some point since he's about 33 pounds now.

It's times like this that I wish I didn't know so much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC