Sunshine kids product reviews (an e-mail I got)

Holly

I got this e-mail from Sunshine Kids (probably because I'm registered with them because I have 2 radians). I haven't heard of these two products before, are either of them ok? From the descriptions, I'd think no, right?

June 23, 2010

Product Reviews

Are you interested in trying out a couple of our products for free and sharing your product reviews? We have two products we’d like your feedback on: Super Mat and Belt Guard. We think both of these are great products but we want to know what you think. If this sounds like fun, visit us on Facebook and let us know which product you’d like to review. We will randomly select 50 to 100 people to send product to, free of charge! If you choose Super Mat to review, you will need to have a rear or forward facing car seat. If you choose Belt Guard, you will need to have a booster seat that uses a vehicle lap belt. This is open to anyone. We will start making our selection on June 30th, so act fast! Here’s a little about each of the products:

The Belt Guard seat belt alarm provides an audible alarm if a seat belt is unbuckled, so there’s no more worries of your child loose in the backseat. It’s easy to install and fits most vehicle seat belts.

The Super Mat features individual panels of high-density foam that contour to any vehicle seat and protect upholstery from the permanent indentations caused by child safety seats. Non-slip surfaces on the top and bottom of the Super Mat prevent slipping and sliding of child safety seats and the handy front organizer pockets.

ADS

Holly

It seems like the belt thing shouldn't be needed if someone waited until their kid was mature enough for a booster before transitioning. Seems to me that a kid that takes off the seatbelt when they aren't supposed to should stay harnessed.
Maybe if there is a kid that insists on unbuckling their car seat.

fyrfightermomma

I think the belt guard can be used also for harnessed seats to alert you if the harnessed seat got unbuckled, but I'm not 100% sure.

You could "review" the mat, and then write a review that says it's NOT safe for vehicles due to how it can fake a tight install and the seat is not installed properly per the instructions etc.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
*Playing devil's advocate*

I've installed a lot of car seats with a lot of different seat saver mats over the years. I always explain to the parent that it can affect the install, and that it is advised by advocates and most manufacturers (some do allow them) not to use them, but in the end, if making a big deal about the seat saver at the beginning of the check turns the parent off to the rest of the information I have to give, I'm going to choose another battle, because in real-world experience, if you are careful and willing to add an extra step in the install process, 95% of the time, you can use most seat savers without affecting the install.

Wiggles

One picture shows the belt guard on a seatbelt that's holding a carseat in. I think this would be useful especially in three-across situations where the carseat was next to a booster. If the carseat was accidentally unbuckled by a child fumbling to buckle his or her booster, then the alarm would go off. Same if a grandparent was sitting next to it and hit the buckle. It would also help for little ones that can reach their own seatbelts in their harnessed seats (not common, but I've heard a few cases on here, iirc). And if it were compatible with the harnessed seats, then all the better. I can't really find much on the product, though, how it works or anything.

Holly

*Playing devil's advocate*

I've installed a lot of car seats with a lot of different seat saver mats over the years. I always explain to the parent that it can affect the install, and that it is advised by advocates and most manufacturers (some do allow them) not to use them, but in the end, if making a big deal about the seat saver at the beginning of the check turns the parent off to the rest of the information I have to give, I'm going to choose another battle, because in real-world experience, if you are careful and willing to add an extra step in the install process, 95% of the time, you can use most seat savers without affecting the install.

I agree. I was mainly wondering about these so I can decicde if I want to try to get one for reviewing.

christineka

why do you think the seat belt alarm thing wouldn't be ?

It was discussed on here before and people said no aftermarket products! The seatbelt alarm may be fine, just as I believe my dry seat pad is fine, but it doesn't change that it's an aftermarket product that's a big "no-no".

Melanie

I love the idea of the seatbelt alarm. I've had grandparents and teens accidentally unlock a car seat when the buckle releases are close together. My RFer can also use her feet to push the release button on the FF seat next to her.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Giving the buckle half a twist so the release button is facing the car seat and not out will solve the issue of accidentally unbuckling.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It was discussed on here before and people said no aftermarket products! The seatbelt alarm may be fine, just as I believe my dry seat pad is fine, but it doesn't change that it's an aftermarket product that's a big "no-no".

OK, that may be the CYA answer, but in reality, if you don't apply a little common sense as to what is actually harmful, you end up losing your audience. I have fixed rigid belt stalks in my truck. The release buttons for the two seatbelts that are side by side in the second row are literally, less than two inches apart. You can bet your butt that if I ever have to put a harnessed seat there full time again, I will use that little alarm thingy. It's just an alarm held on by double sided tape that is triggered with a magnetic switch. Shoot, I can and have make one one from parts I have out in the shed. It just sticks on and doesn't interfere in the slightest.

Even I, as an advocate and a tech who knows where you are coming from, would stop listening if you tried to convince me that it is more dangerous than having my child unbuckled and not knowing it.

If you can explain and prove how a particular product interferes with installation or harness use, that is one thing. It makes sense and is easy to blame on ignorant manufacturers or poor design. That approach also leaves the parent with the option of using something different, and with the knowledge of how to tell when something actually is dangerous, instead of making them feel like you are accusing them of putting their children at risk.

As I said, you have to choose your battles. If a dad comes to me with a new car, and I push the issue of removing a seat saver when it is clearly a sticking point with him, I've lost him. When I am showing him how to tighten down the seat, he's not going to be thinking about 1 inch of movement, he's going to be thinking "but I can SEE the bottom of the seat digging into the leather, how is that not going to damage it?" and when I am showing him how tight the harness needs to be, he's looking at that grubby little kid (who's been given a cookie to get him to behave while we're busy) and thinking "please don't drop chocolate on my new car son" instead of paying attention to when he's supposed to move the harness up.

Sure the dad values his son more than his seats, that's why he caved when I pulled out the guilt card, but he lost more than he gained if he walks away from the seat check having only one thing, no aftermarket products!, absolutely clear in his mind.

This is turning into a novel, but I think it is SOOO very important if you want to effectively disseminate information.

You have to have a gentle touch. You have to interact with parents, not lecture them. It's a conversation. My part goes something like this:

"Oh, nice car! I see you have a seat saver. I can't blame you, I would want to keep that leather looking nice too. Can I tell you a secret about leather seats? ;)I'm a bit of a gearhead so I have a thing for cars.;) The best thing you could possibly do for your leather, is every six months, use a really good leather cleaner and conditioner on it. I mean really good, like 20 dollar a bottle stuff. My mom has a 99 Continental, and as her birthday and mother's day gift every year I treat her leather for her. She has had car seats and kids in it continuously for 11 years and it still looks perfect, even though we never did find a seat saver that was compatible with her car."

Take cues from the parent. Give them and yourself openings to lead the conversation to where you want it to go. From this opening, you can explain that seat savers can cause bad installs. 80% of the time, the parent will say they'll just not use it then and that it's not a big deal because they still have the receipt.

Some will still be worried about the vehicle seats, and you can offer to try the car seat with and without the seat saver to see if it is compatible with their car. Usually, it is. You may have to install the seat and mark the belt with a fabric pencil, then install it again with the seat saver to make sure the marks line up and the install is just as tight, but it usually is fine. I've never once had a parent insist on using the seat saver if I found out that it made the install unacceptable. A few needed to be offered an alternative (towel, receiving blanket, grip liner) to the seat saver that didn't cause a bad install.

It's a PITA to go through all these hoops just because a parent is "selfish" and cares about keeping the car in good condition. It's such a petty issue. But it is a prime opportunity to hook the parent.

Make them understand like you are listening to them and respectful of their opinions, and they'll be respectful of your advice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC