Finally had time to play with my 3 across..

kidnurse

So, I am out at work, where it is cooler here than where I live, and I got to play with my seats today to see what may work for the 3 across I will be needing for a day or two next weekend.

Car is an 08 Dodge Caliber
I got 3 seats in well this morning, in this order. FF Radian XTSL (latch), RF Radian 80SL(seatbelt), and RF TF(seatbelt).

They are all tight, tight, tight next to one another, IIRC that is allowed. Neither outboard seat is anywhere near touching a door. I remembered to tether the FF seat, I have not installed a FF seat in years, and they did not tether at that point in time. On the TF the seatbelt is locked but one of the lock-offs is not being used because of that darned little button on the seatbelt, but I think I remember reading here that LC said the lock offs are not mandatory- correct? Also, the TF is not touching the seatback in front of it, but I have to check again once there is a child in the seat, right? The middle Radian is touching, actually braced against the driver's seat, but not the passenger one, it is up further so that there is more room for the TF.

Any questions, comments, reminders about doing a 3 across?

What I want to try next week is the TF - FF driver's side outboard, and the 2- Radians RF center and passenger outboard. Somehow I think the seats will puzzle better if the TF is FF. The only reason I did not try it this morning is that I forgot a boot for the XTSL, so it had to be the FF one today.

Any comments on this set-up?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

ADS

Pixels

Safestop for FF Radian if child is under 40 pounds.

I think you might have better luck with the FF seat in the middle. Seats usually puzzle better when they alternate directions.

Maedze

You can knick that little plastic piece off the seatbelt with a butter knife or a credit card. I believe the lock offs are mandatory.

It's fine for the seats to be next to each other and touching, but have you made sure they are independently secure? Did you try removing the middle seat to check if the two outboard seats are still tight?

kidnurse

Thank you for reminding me about the safe stop, I had forgotten since I have never used a Radian FF, and I work nights and that messes with your memory big time.

I did not try taking out the middle seat, I couldn't get it out if I wanted too. The seats are that tight together.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Unfortunately, you MUST check your seats for independent tightness. Trust me, I once was super-proud of myself for wedging in an awesomely tight, secure side-by-side install in my third row... only to remove the middle seat and have the outboard seat slide about 3". Sigh.

And the lock-offs are indeed mandatory.

kidnurse

Originally I had wanted the FF seat in the middle, but the Caliber is a very small car, and I am just a little over 5ft 6inches. So really it is the only way for me to breath and drive safely.

Checking each seat individually is something I am not so sure how to do. The reason I have the seats so tight against each other is how small the car is. In order to remove the middle seat, I have to somehow loosen and almost remove one of the outboard seats.

How do you check the seats independantly in a small car? Is there a trick for getting the middle one out when they have to be that close together because of lack of room?

Maedze

It's simply a matter of bruising your fingers in whichever way necessary to reach the release button on the seatbelt, and then physically forcing the child restraint out of the position.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Would marking the belts be an option in this situation? That is, installing the outboard seats, putting chalk marks on the belts, uninstalling, putting the center seat in and verifying tightness, then reinstalling the outboard seats to the chalk marks?

Or what about using locking clips? I guess not on the TF but it would work for the other seats...

Kidnurse, I spend much of my life with bruised arms due to my 3-acrosses. It's super-awesome, let me tell ya :rolleyes:

kidnurse

I like the chalk idea.

And I am already bruised to the point of looking like a battered woman. I lost most of my nails, and I am bruised all over both arms and both legs from climbing around this tiny car. Unfortunately we are taking mommy and me pics tomorrow for the 4th, I kinda missed mother day....just slightly. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC