Epi Pens

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
My DD's allergist prescribed epipens...just in case...and the pharmacy gave me one that expires in SEPTEMBER and my insurance will cover only 1 a year....(well two now that I called and said she is jsut a baby and cant carry it on herself). I was wondering how long yours typically last, and how far out is their expiration?

ADS

LEAW

go back to the pharmacy and get one that is new. we got a 2pack for my dd (you should always have 2) when she was 14 mo. old, we've had it a year, and it expires in july. i don't know when ours was manufactured, but they shouldbe good at least a year, probably more like 18m-2 yrs if you get them new.

the pharmacy should order in new ones for you and exchange it out, we have a $25 copay for ours and i'd hate to pay full price for one!

having 2 - the doc should write a prescription for "epi jr 2pack" or something, just in case the first one doesn't work properly or the needle bends before it injects, or the person doing it does it wrong, etc. also, the dose is only for about 15 min. so you might need a 2nd dose before you can get to the hospital... even adults should have 2 pens on them.

Splash

Oh gosh, I don't know. 6 months, I think? I need to check mine again.

I think it's odd that s/he gave you one, though. For a penicillin allergy? She's not going to randomly come in contact with penicillin. And epipens are a big deal, and can do a lot of damage if used incorrectly/unneccesarily. I'm not saying you will, just making sure you know. Did the doctor or pharmacist go over how/when/why to use it with you?
Make sure you never leave it in the car or anywhere it will get very hot or very cold, and throw it away if the liquid inside is no longer clear. To discard of it, just inject it into a piece of fruit (don't eat the fruit!) or something similar, just in case.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
that is what i told them and he wrote me a RX for a total of 8....but my insurance will cover a max of 2...and that is with the lady overridding my policy...out copay is only 15...and the pen is normall 76! ahh! but i am taking it back and i will find a pharmacy with a better exp date...

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Take it back to the pharmacy.

They should be good *at least* a year.

I have 6, 2 dd carries, 2 at school, and 2 at home.

mommy2jana

Yep...go and exchange it! :) The first one I got for my dd, I got it in December 04 and it expired in July 05 - thankfully, I didn't have to pay anything for it. The last one I got for her was last March - and now I am thinking that it was only good for one year....I'll have to check that when I get home! My dd's dr wrote the prescription for TWO EpiPen, Jr. 2 packs and gave me a few refills on it. My dd's insurance & the pharmacy tried telling me that I only was able to get one per year. I then explained to them that she was a toddler and she needs to have one set at home and one set at daycare (her dr said so) - they finally gave it to me, but I cannot get both 2-packs in the same month. I have to wait 30 days in between refills.

For some reason - March 2007 is sticking out in my head as the exp date on mine...so I think they are generally good for at LEAST 12 months - could be a bit longer.

I do encourage you to at least call the pharmacy - If her insurance only allows one per year, you need to get them to replace what they gave you with a newer one.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Maybe your allergist could help appeal to the insurance company to cover more refills, and/or you can persuade the pharmacy to exchange for fresher Epipens with better expirations?

We have to have Epipens handy for DD1 for her food allergies but haven't had to use them for her so far, knock on wood, and they end up expiring. Our allergist lets us dispose of the expired ones at his office since it's not cool to just toss them in the trash due to the needles. Usually they have expirations about a year out from the date we filled the prescription. Our current ones will expire in May and we received them last April. Our old insurance covered up to 3 twin-packs per calendar year, making it nice to have a set in the house, another set always with me in my bag, and the third set for other caregivers/school/away from home situations where I'm not with her. We switched insurance carriers this calendar year and I can't get a straight answer about how many will be covered yet. :(

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
she has had reactions to foods too (peaches) and some other thigns that i have eaten, but i am not sure what they are yet. she has quite a few contact allegens like soaps and lotions...and he said that she will most likely have quite a few reactions to quite a few foods, and that he felt that we should have one given her history...my dh is alelrgic to shellfish as well and i am to bactrim...so it is more of a precautionary measure...they told me how/when/where to use it...and I am tottally aware of the repercussions...but hopefully it will never get to that...:)

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i did call the insurance..and that was all i could get...maybe if i call the doctor he can convince them...

mommy2jana

Amber - right now you do have a twin-pack, though right? If it makes you feel any better, all I had for my dd was one twin-pack until she was 2 years old. When I got the EpiPen, I was a SAHM, so I don't know if that makes any difference, but I just kept the EpiPen within easy reach at home or if we were out, in her diaper bag.

I hope the dr can convince the insurance company otherwise. :)

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
nope..i just have a single pack:( it didnt even come with a demonstration pen..she had to take it out of a twin pack to give to me

mommy2jana

Why the heck did she take it out of a twin pack??? I've NEVER EVER seen them give anybody JUST ONE EpiPen! That is absolute nonsense! Your insurance should cover at least one twin-pack per year! You HAVE to have a practice pen. You HAVE to have 2 Epi's at all times, which is why they come in twin-packs. You need to have 2 for the reasons that Lisa2976 posted above! That is so crazy!!!!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i dont know...my insurance isgreat in some ways..then horrible in other...obviously this is a horrible part...do they have generics?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
FYI, we got two EpiPenJr's before our trip. We filled our prescriptions in January 2006 and got boxes that didn't expire until March 2007... I'd take it back and explain to the pharmacy your situation with insurance, etc. If no luck there, then I'd call insurance and explain it. Good luck getting it taken care of... :)

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i called hte pharm and they said they would tkae it back and give me back my prescription...so i will call around later today and find out which place has the best expiration (even if it is across town)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Maybe your allergist could help appeal to the insurance company to cover more refills, and/or you can persuade the pharmacy to exchange for fresher Epipens with better expirations?

We have to have Epipens handy for DD1 for her food allergies but haven't had to use them for her so far, knock on wood, and they end up expiring. Our allergist lets us dispose of the expired ones at his office since it's not cool to just toss them in the trash due to the needles. Usually they have expirations about a year out from the date we filled the prescription. Our current ones will expire in May and we received them last April. Our old insurance covered up to 3 twin-packs per calendar year, making it nice to have a set in the house, another set always with me in my bag, and the third set for other caregivers/school/away from home situations where I'm not with her. We switched insurance carriers this calendar year and I can't get a straight answer about how many will be covered yet. :(

I use the expired ones and oranges to train people who care for my dd, parents of new friends etc.

LEAW

Gosh, your pharmacy should be willing to order you a new one, you shouldn't have to call aroudn town!

Mine didn't keep epi-jr on hand, so they ordered brand new fresh ones, which is why ours expires so late I think. I'm glad they do. The allergist who wrote the rx gave us one 2pack, no refils, and our pedi just wrote a new rx for her at her 2 yr check for a 2pack + 2 refills if needed.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I use the expired ones and oranges to train people who care for my dd, parents of new friends etc.

Good idea, thanks for the tip (no pun intended). I save the trainers that come with each twin pack for the same purpose, too. Somewhere in my house there's an Epipen training DVD our allergist gave us and I need to dig that out before DD begins school in the fall.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Good idea, thanks for the tip (no pun intended). I save the trainers that come with each twin pack for the same purpose, too. Somewhere in my house there's an Epipen training DVD our allergist gave us and I need to dig that out before DD begins school in the fall.

I'm not a fan of the trainers, they don't have the same KICK that the real epipens do. I want people to FEEL that and EXPECT that KICK if they ever need to inject my dd, I don't want them to feel the KICK and pull the epipen out because it scared them.

I also send this to everyone who may ever possibly need to inject dd
http://www.epipen.com/howtouse.aspx

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC