Would you turn her back RF?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My 3yo has been asking me for a few days to ride backwards like her brother. But she wants her seat (GN) to turn around. She is 3y3mo, turned FF at 2y2mo because she was too tall to RF in the Titan any longer and I couldn't get a new seat at the time (financially or physically due to my health). She *might* be 30 pounds now fully clothed.
Here's my dilemma, the MR (super cute) is only $81 at Walmart but only in Purple (which I love). My 12mo is going to outgrow the Titan in 6mo to a year and then he could move to the MR and she could go back to the GN. Even if I get another cover, it is still cheaper than regular price and I can afford to do it now.
I guess I'm just looking for justification.
Would you do it? Would you turn her back RF? And, at 36-37" how long do you think she could RF in there ('cause she'll move back to the GN to FF)? We may be going on a road trip in a month also and I really think she'd be more comfortable RF. Hmmmm......I think I need to visit my neighbor and see just how much room she has to RF in a MR.
What do ya'll think?

ADS

finn

I would buy it and turn her back rf, but then I like kids to rf to 4, so if you can afford it and she fits then I would definitely buy it.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Yes, I would turn her back rear-facing, and while I know kids vary in torso height, at 36 or 37 inches tall, I do think that she'd have room to grow heightwise in a My Ride unless she has an unusually long torso. :)

cryway903

I just bought a Radian xtsl last Thursday to re rf my 4 yo, she'll be 5 in August, that weighs 34.5 lbs and has a 14" torso height. So, yes, I would re rf her. My DD is very happy rf she says its more comfortable and she likes seeing out the back window. Someone asked me a very good question when I was considering re rf her and asked a question similar to yours. "If you dont re rf her and get in an accident next week or next month can you live with the knowledge that you thought about it but didn't?"

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Shneike! I just measured her torso. She's a shrimp! Only 12.5-13" torso. My just-turned 1yo is 12" Geez, no wonder he looks so HUGE in the Titan! My only concern is that I won't get enough RF time for the baby. If he's that tall already, is the MR going to get me to 3yrs with him (he's got a HUGE noggin also so I don't really want to FF him until 3, that thing would for sure fly forward in a crash lol)?

armywife12

Shneike! I just measured her torso. She's a shrimp! Only 12.5-13" torso. My just-turned 1yo is 12" Geez, no wonder he looks so HUGE in the Titan! My only concern is that I won't get enough RF time for the baby. If he's that tall already, is the MR going to get me to 3yrs with him (he's got a HUGE noggin also so I don't really want to FF him until 3, that thing would for sure fly forward in a crash lol)?

It might be a close call. I don't remember exactly what Caleb's torso was at a yr old but he was over the 2nd harness slots of the Marathon (are those around 12 inches?) at 11 months old. Caleb will be 3 in 2 months and I'm not sure he'll make it to 3 yrs old in the Myride (based on my posted pics in the previous link). It'll be cutting it close for us. I think I'd still go for it. He'll most likely make it RF to at least 2.5 in the MyRide and maybe you'll be able to afford another RF seat like the Radian or Complete Air (or some other new seat) when he outgrows the MR RF

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I really would love to try out the Momentum but BRU is a ways away and dragging all 4 kids there is torture. Maybe I can go to Target tomorrow and leave some of them with Grandma. At least I can try the MR, Marathon, and a few other taller seats, maybe the EFTA (isn't it similar height to the Momentum?)

Stacy

I'm sure I'm the odd one out here, but here is my honest opinion.

Generally speaking, I would not buy another rf seat for my 3 yo old. For me, 3 is plenty old enough to be FF.

But--this is clearly something that you really want to do, and I think your plan to buy the My Ride now and pass it down later on is a great idea. Especially for the price. Plus I really* love* the MR as a rf seat. I really can't see the down side to this, seems like a win-win option for both of your kids and for your wallet.

Last edited:

Maedze

Since the absolute youngest a child's cervical vertabrae will fuse is three, three is hardly 'plenty old enough'. It's just barely old enough.

Stacy

I knew saying that wasn't going to be popular, but what the heck. Not everyone is going to rf their kids to 4. To each their own, of course.

Maedze

No, of course, not everyone is going to rear face to four. But if we're sticking with medical facts here, the fact is that the youngest a child can be and still have fused vertabrae is three, that means that three is the youngest a child can be and not be at serious risk from forward facing. So saying something is 'plenty old enough' because you won't personally do it is confusing opinion with medical fact.

If we're talking legalities, I think we all know it's LEGAL for a three year old to be forward facing, but that's not what's being discussed.

Stacy

No, of course, not everyone is going to rear face to four. But if we're sticking with medical facts here, the fact is that the youngest a child can be and still have fused vertabrae is three, that means that three is the youngest a child can be and not be at serious risk from forward facing. So saying something is 'plenty old enough' because you won't personally do it is confusing opinion with medical fact.

If we're talking legalities, I think we all know it's LEGAL for a three year old to be forward facing, but that's not what's being discussed.

IIR the op wanted some opinions on this. For me, personally, I feel ok with ff my 3 yo. I'm not trying to make a scientific case for this. If someone wants to rf their kids to 4 or even beyond, that's great. Again, lorismurph---I think you should go ahead and get your dd the MR, you have nothing but good reasons to do so.

Maedze

I have no objection to the opinion that you would not do it, merely objecting to your age-related characterization, which wasn't accurate ;)

urchin_grey

For that price I would! And in 2+ years if you decide you want to keep RF'ing your DS after he outgrows the MR, you could always sell/trade. Heck, in 2 years, we might have 55lb RF'ing seats, the way we're going now.

msg221

I just looked at Wal-Mart.com and the Alma is sold out. I also noticed the other day when I looked at it, they had two listings for the Alma; the one that was $81.54 and another that was listed at $115 but came with a $10 e gift card. Why wouldn't they offer the e gift card for any MR purchase? Now that makes no sense at all to me. Anyway, the only one listed now is the $115 one, but it says it is sold out online.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC