Question about weights

MarathonMama

I know that when you weigh a child to make sure they're under the weight limit of a seat you do it with their clothes/shoes on. But ...

What about weighing for the minimum booster weight? Do they have to be at least 40lbs with clothes and shoes on too or before (i.e when naked)?

Not that my ODD is ready for booster training, but she weighs 38.8lbs naked so I'm just wondering since she may or may not gain that little bit of weight before 5! FWIW, it was close enough for me to take off the safestop ;)

ADS

cryway903

Maybe I'm missing something, and its none of my business, but why are you wanting to put her in a booster? From your signature it seems she is riding in a Radian xtsl. That seat rear faces to 45 lbs and harnesses ff to 80 lbs. Your DD has a long way to go before she outgrows it. The Kyle david Miller foundation and other places recommended keeping a child harnessed until at least 6. That said I dont know what the proper way to figure child's weight for a booster but I would say naked. Kids weigh more in winter clothes then summer, tennis shoes weigh more then sandals if you figure 40 lbs naked then you know she will be 40 lbs no matter what she weighs.

Maedze

Maybe I'm missing something, and its none of my business, but why are you wanting to put her in a booster? From your signature it seems she is riding in a Radian xtsl. That seat rear faces to 45 lbs and harnesses ff to 80 lbs. Your DD has a long way to go before she outgrows it. The Kyle david Miller foundation and other places recommended keeping a child harnessed until at least 6. That said I dont know what the proper way to figure child's weight for a booster but I would say naked. Kids weigh more in winter clothes then summer, tennis shoes weigh more then sandals if you figure 40 lbs naked then you know she will be 40 lbs no matter what she weighs.

She's booster training because booster training at 4 years is a perfectly acceptable, safe option. It doesn't mean she's switching to a booster full time, just means she's considering teaching her child how to ride safely in one.

Also, while the KDMF does admirable work, their recommendations for extended harnessing are not quite in line with research and CPS general knowledge. Children should be harnessed full time until they reach booster maturity, which is usually from 5 to 6 years. However, beginning training at 4 is perfectly acceptable, and can actually significantly ease the transition to a booster later on :)

babygirlsmom1005

Her oldest is in a XT - which RF's to 40 lbs (did they retro the CA version to 40 lbs when they did the US version?).

I would also weigh naked if it were a 40 lbs booster to ensure they are always at or above that weight.

Madeline is booster training right now at 37 lbs and 4 years 8 months old (legal here in the states as you already know) - she's doing very well sitting properly in a booster for short trips, I have been really impressed. She's training in a HB Turbo. She also is in a XT RF'ing the rest of the time.

MarathonMama

Thanks - I figured naked would be the best option.

For what it's worth, I'm not even considering booster training until she is 5 - so 6 months from now. Maybe by then she will be at or over 40lbs. I have a very tight 3 across that I'm not messing with at this point ;) Just thought I would plan ahead so I can save for a booster (or 2)!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC