Top tether anchor retrofit part #

skitle1802

I started thinking it would be nice if I had top tether anchors in the outboard positions in my 3rd row. I don't know if I can even get them because I have 4 factory standard (3 positions second row, and center third row) If its possible, could someone find me the part number and/or the GM tech memo for the retrofits?

2002 Chevy Suburban third row both outboard

Thanks!

So after checking my VIN with GM Corp., yes the kits for the trucks would work but they do not recommend it, as it has not been tested on the SUV 3rd bench. So I guess I will just have to work with what I've got and be grateful for the 4 tethers I have. And I can always look forward to a newer burban!

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
GM doesn't retrofit additional top tether anchors in GM models already factory equipped with some tether anchors. This is pretty typical for most vehicle manufacturers and not unique to GM, FWIW.

skitle1802

Just got a call from the dealership here in town. I told him I had 4 factory, model of vehicle and year and he said he could do the 2 outboards for $56.xx

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Interesting, I wonder if there was a change in GM's policy or if the dealership is confused? The LATCH manual indicates most pre-factory equipped GM models from the 1989-2002 model years are supposed to be retrofittable and one top tether anchor retrofit should be done free of charge in the U.S. by a GM dealership per GM Service Bulletin Number 99-09-40-004a. Because that bulletin includes the 2002 model year, that might be where the dealership is thinking your 2002 model can be retrofitted, even though it's already factory equipped with some anchors. :twocents: Also, the tether anchor retrofit part numbers for retrofittable GM models aren't listed in the LATCH manual because the part numbers change over time and the GM dealerships are supposed to have the most up to date part number info. In your shoes, I'd refer the dealership to that bulletin number for retrofitting pre-factory equipped models and see if it's applicable or possibly already being misapplied to include your factory equipped 2002 Suburban. If there truly is a retrofit for more tether anchors for your vehicle, then you might be able to have the cost waived through that bulletin for one additional anchor. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

skitle1802

I gave him the pre-factory equipped TSB and that's where he found the part number and I told him that I had factory tethers but wanted to be able to use the 3rd row in all 3 positions. I will have to call back and clarify that he understood me. I'm wondering if the first is free and the $56.xx is for the second. I'll let you know how it goes.

skitle1802

I just got off the phone with the parts dept and they said the TSB showed part numbers for the pickups, not Suburbans. I explained again that I have factory installed tethers (which is why there may not be a part available) but want my 3rd row outboard equipped as well. I gave them my VIN and they are checking with GM if there is a compatible part. So, now I just have to wait and see what they find out. LOL, this probably isn't worth it, but I was curious for when the girls turn FF (not for another 2-3 years hopefully)

Update in #1

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC