Question un latched, latchable boosters??

horseymom

would you use a Clek Oober booster un latched? Right now we have no latch but I sure hope in the next year or so we can get a vehical with latch. :thumbsup:
What boosters should I look at? (I don't like the TB's lack of leg support. DD is very leggy) the Frontier fits her legs perfectly :love:

PS: I am in Canada but would like lots of opinions

ADS

Dillipop

I use our clek olli unlatched in my car and I love it. The connectors go in between the seat cushions and it doesn't move.

I also use our monterey unlatched, but don't like it as much that way. It's heavy and moves around a little. It's a pain to remember to buckle it in all the time. I much prefer to use it in dh's car with latch, but it's the only booster that fits really well with the belts in my car, so that's where it goes.

tiggercat

I use (well Greg uses) the Olli unlatched all the time and it doesn't bother me. The latch anchors stick in the seat bight. I always latch the Monterey in, though, especially if my daughter is going to be using it, because it is such a heavy seat. Sometimes Greg will use it unlatched if it is just going in/out of vehicles for a bit, I am sure he is big enough that the extra loading wouldn't be a big deal.
How heavy is the Oobr?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Even though I know there is no evidence saying it is unsafe, I simply can't get my gut to understand that, so I couldn't do it. Big heavy boosters like the monterey, oobr, frontier, nauti, etc, I just can't reconcile the physics of it. Now, I fully admit this might very well be due to a gross lack of understanding on my part, as opposed to actual physical evidence....but I just can't. I've been in a couple "slam on my breaks" kind of incidents lately, and dd in her turbo flies forward and she has gotten some red marks on her neck from the shoulder belt, etc...I can only imagine if the weight of one of those giant seats had been pressing her forward as well... like I said, I just can't. The olli/oto i wouldn't have an issue with though.

sixmaybemore

I use the Monterey unlatched. That's b/c whoever designed the LATCH anchor placements for the Suburban was an idiot.... anyway.

Can the Frontier 85 LATCH when in booster mode? I haven't been paying attention to these things lol.....

horseymom

thanks. I'm STILL trying to decide on what to do with DD. I'm still leaning towards getting a FRXT and have her harnessed at least until next spring and giving DS the original FR for when he is 35 lbs. But I would also like to do some booster trainig with her from this summer until she goes into a booster full time. She only has about an inch in the FR (some days it seems less, I'm not sure why that is???) I have had her in the TB and it offers her NO leg support.

How is the PW?
anyone know what the Oober weighs? comapred to other boosters?

AtTheSouthDam

I'm using the Monterey unlatched. DD1 can't buckle herself in the center LATCH positions and the back center obscures my rear window too much for my comfort (If was a neccessity I would get over it, but two kids in a minivan? I don't have to.) She s getin much better about buckling it in.

monstah

How is the PW?
anyone know what the Oober weighs? comapred to other boosters?

The Oobr weighs approx 26 pounds. I certainly wouldn't want to use it unlatched permanently (heavy & a waste of money) but I would have no problem using it unlatched temporarily.

mrs_teeee67

Ohmy. I have latch in my van, and am very happy with my Monterey. However, we've been using the small mazda a lot lately, since it's just the 2 of us running around so much.. and it doesn't HAVE Latch. So... potentially, I should get a different booster for the Mazda? (and her dad's truck sometimes?)

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I use our Oobr unLATCHed. I don't have LATCH in my Jeep. It is used for training and as a spare seat. So, maybe once a week at best. If I am using it in a car with LATCH then, yes, it is LATCHed.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
<snip>
I've been in a couple "slam on my breaks" kind of incidents lately, and dd in her turbo flies forward and she has gotten some red marks on her neck from the shoulder belt, etc...I can only imagine if the weight of one of those giant seats had been pressing her forward as well... like I said, I just can't. The olli/oto i wouldn't have an issue with though.

I had an incident a couple of months ago where I was going very slowly--in a 15 mph school zone and turning left, so probably going between 5-10 mph--and someone pulled away from the curb in front of me. I had to slam on my Sienna's brakes and come to a complete stop and caught what happened to my boostered dd out of the corner of my eye. Like bobandjess's dd, my dd flew forward; I was completely shocked that her retractor didn't kick in to stop her. I don't remember which booster she was in at the time since I switch them out every few months.

I haven't heard anything about having weight behind a child in a sudden stop or crash. Perhaps that extra weight would cause the retractor to kick in and hold the child back, I don't know. What I do know is that my next vehicle, whenever that may be, will have $$$ pre-tensioners on the back seatbelts so that my kids won't move forward in a crash.

horseymom

it seems people are split on if it's "safe" or not. I'm so confused??? I'm not sure when we will get a new vehical so maybe a PWSG for now? I don't have one to try here and wonder about leg support.

Maedze

it seems people are split on if it's "safe" or not. I'm so confused??? I'm not sure when we will get a new vehical so maybe a PWSG for now? I don't have one to try here and wonder about leg support.

That's because there's no evidence, only theory. So it's strictly a matter of opinion.

Maedze

[...] I had to slam on my Sienna's brakes and come to a complete stop and caught what happened to my boostered dd out of the corner of my eye. Like bobandjess's dd, my dd flew forward; I was completely shocked that her retractor didn't kick in to stop her. [...]. What I do know is that my next vehicle, whenever that may be, will have $$$ pre-tensioners on the back seatbelts so that my kids won't move forward in a crash.

This is actually why I'm a huge fan of locking seatbelts on back seat riders, booster or otherwise. No pre-tensioners, and the head excursion on belts without them tends to be greater than on belts WITH them.

Incidentally, I know locking belts on boosters has been a subject of some debate here. I was reading our new car's manual and it goes into some detail on the subject. I can't remember the exact wording, but the manual is VERY clear that locking the belt on a child in a booster is generally not recommended only because it can become inconvenient for the rider, and it is NOT less safe to lock it than to leave it unlocked. (The manual is for a 2008 Hyundai Sonata).

mrs_teeee67

After I thought about it, Hayvon has complained before when the belt has locked on her in the Mazda a couple times I've stopped suddenly or slowed WAY down quickly. So, now I know it 'locks' with the Monterey, gonna have to figure out this 'extra weight' thing though. I sure as *blankety blank* don't want her HURT by her safety equipment. It just hadn't occurred to me that the weight alone could be dangerous :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC