Question need seat advice huge 6mo twins

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
OK so a friend asked me to look at her seats, she insisted that her DH *NEEDED* to use a mighty tite :eek: (2005 Chevy Venture)

Mom is very concerned about her seats and wants the kids to be safe AND is into ERF!!! :thumbsup:

So I met her at the park today...

DS1 4.7years in a Graco HBB 49.75 tall, she says 55 lbs, but I can lift my 70+# 10 year old and he feels heavy as her :eek: He is so smashed in that booster even with the armrest on the top notch I had to shimmy the belt over his leg and under the armrest. It was a ridiculously tight fit. In the 3rd row driver side, passenger seat removed because "it's broke".

Twins: 6 months old on the center bench

C: 30" 21# driver side, RF in an Evenflo Triumph 5 (model # 3591612 DOM 10-20-05) I told her I needed to see exactly what kind of seat this is and read the manual. There was no way to adjust straps without unscrewing the back cover she said. I've never seen anything like it. They had it installed with a locking clip AND mighty tite on the retractor side of the seat. :thumbsdown: I told her that the harness straps were too high, and that they needed to be moved down a notch, and that the seat would be easily installed with no "extras" Mighty Tite and Locking clip removed and the seat was put back in no problem. There were no LATCH or top tether straps on the seat at all. I recommended that she either find those or replace the seat. (The seat is DISGUSTING anyways, and she said she just washed the cover. It is obvious that she did not wash the straps how dirty they were.)

I told her I was not comfortable dealing with this seat until she moved the harness straps down a notch and found a manual (or I found one) as I was not familiar with that seat. SHe was fine with that, and has already emailed me to tell me that her DH has fixed the harness height and is looking for the LATCH straps and manual.

The mighy tite was put on there yesterday, she said she just moved him after I noticed that he was still in a SR and was over the height and possibly over the weight the other day on Facebook.

L: 30" 21# passenger side RF in a SR32. Was a tad too reclined, but was easily remedied. He seems to be a smidge skinnier than C though they weigh the same. (no LATCH in this position)

She was GTG on harness tightness and harness retainer clip at armpits. Seats were tight. I was surprisingly pleased... I assumed they were going to be a HUGE disaster.

Sorry so long, she really needs new seats, for the twins, and a better (if possible) bosoter for DS1.

Suggestions? I am waiting for her permission to post a pic. I am sure that money is not an issue within reason, she even asked about Radians :love:

ADS

Maedze

The Triumph harness can be adjusted behind the cover, on the front of the seat. Push the cover away from the harness and you'll see the mechanism to do it. Very easy, actually :)

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Yes, just pull down the cover, the foam, and then pull the little "tabs" on the plastic "door" to move the straps. It is super easy. As far as washing the straps, they do not come off the seat so it's a washcloth or wipe for those.

Are the twins boys or girls? This MyRide is a great price:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRIDE-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Alma/11037459

boys.. I thought of that too! LOL The black ones are $120ish at Walmart here.

I tried to pull the cover off, but was unsure of what might crawl out of there...LOL and like I said, I had no manual so not a clue, and she said her hubby does all the adjusting so she didn't know, thus the reason I came to you wonderful ladies!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What about the RF height limits of the MR? Is it just 1" from top of shell? her DS1 has always been WAY off the charts for weight and height. these twins were born at 10+ and 8+ pounds and as big as DS1 at 4 would a Radian be a better option for them to stay harnessed longer?

They are on the 2nd slots in the SR32 and bottom of the Triumph 5 (but almost to the 2nd slot shoulder height)

steph_s

What about getting complete air's for the little ones. It has a 40lb rear facing weight limit and is a super tall seat with a better price tag than the radian's. You can have diapers.com price match amazon's $167 (because it has free shipping) then use the 10% off coupon codes for diapers.com to get them cheaper.

I'd also think that the Monterey would be the best bet for the older child. At that age as long as he sits properly in a booster seat I wouldn't be too concerned with full time boostering. The Monterey will fit larger children much better than the graco hbb!

amy&girls

Yes, just pull down the cover, the foam, and then pull the little "tabs" on the plastic "door" to move the straps. It is super easy. As far as washing the straps, they do not come off the seat so it's a washcloth or wipe for those.

Are the twins boys or girls? This MyRide is a great price:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRIDE-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Alma/11037459

Oh that is a terrific price!!! I'm tempted, but it wouldn't solve my issue in the back of my van. Its wider than the Apex it would replace!!! Sadly, I don't need it, but I *want* it!!!

urchin_grey

If they turn out like big brother and are 50+ pounds by 4, keep in mind that the CA is not going to get them to a safe booster age so they'd have to buy 2 more harnessed seats down the line. It might be cheaper in the long run to get something with a higher FF'ing limit.

Lulu

The older child is a pretty large kid for not even five. I wonder if older brother would fit in a radian. If he can't, and the twins are likely to be as big as he is, you could also consider two My Rides instead of the Radians because they are inexpensive and should hold them rfacing to an appropriate age. Then spend the real $$ down the road on two fr85s or a future equivalent. I hate to see kids forced into a booster based on their size, before they are even five years old. I'm not sure a radian will keep that from happening. My five year is always the tallest in his class by far, and he is over the top slots on the radian and barely has his ears in the shell. He's actually a bit shorter than your friend's four year old.

I wonder if anyone can verify that a My Ride will get a super tall kid to age three or so...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC