car seat laws in OK

mburks26

I found this In February of 2006, the city of Oklahoma City tightened the laws regarding child safety-seats. Previously, only children 4 years of age and under were required to sit in a child seat while riding in a car. Now, however, Oklahoma City requires all children 6 years and under to be in a properly-used child passenger restraint system, either a car seat or a booster appropriate for the child's weight and height.

Here is an exception that only applies to children seated behind the driver in church vans and licensed child care facility vans along with some other important child safety tips from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration:
•Exception: If the child seat requires a shoulder strap and the car does not have one, children over 40 pounds are allowed to not be in the child seat but must wear a lap belt.
•All children under the age of 13 should ride in the back seat.
•Young children (from birth to 1 year) should face the rear in their car seats.
•Children (from 1 to 4 years of age) should face the front in their car seats.
•Children (from 4 to 8 years of age and shorter than 4'9") should face forward in a booster seat.

Is this true I am going to have to put my dd in booster for this trip. Family reunion in OK dont know where but they are going with my in-laws I have to let her go. Its gonna be them my dd and the cousion. I was going to see if the GN will work outboard in the darn Linclon town car 95 model so I have to use locking clip. I know it goes in middle just fine now and there is room for the cousions booster but they want them outboard so they dont end up fighting and getting in each others space.

so do not like the sounds of this

•Exception: If the child seat requires a shoulder strap and the car does not have one, children over 40 pounds are allowed to not be in the child seat but must wear a lap belt.
•Children (from 4 to 8 years of age and shorter than 4'9") should face forward in a booster seat.
well never mind then I didnt read all of this
Here is an exception that only applies to children seated behind the driver in church vans and licensed child care facility vans along with some other important child safety tips from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration:

But anyway what are the laws for OK

ADS

skitle1802

I just wanted to add in another point...
Since you are visiting, can the laws be applied to you?
Like if someone were to live in a state of 4/40 with no booster law and they traveled to a state with a 8/80, would they be required to buy a seat for that trip?

I don't think the exceptions can overrule the manufacturer's weight/height specs for how your child rides in the car seat.

K, found this, Oklahoma Highway Safety office link to OK Law

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It sounds like those are "tips" and not necessarily the law. I don't think it means that a 5-year-old CAN'T be in a harness, just that someone who ordinarily wouldn't put the kid in anything should at least put them in a booster.

Even if that really is the letter of the law, it's not the spirit. I would risk getting a ticket and just fight it. My child's safety trumps the law.

And yes, you must follow the laws of the state you're in. If you live in a 4/40 state, you need a child restraint in an 8/80.

skitle1802

Well, OK seems to have a "proper use" clause so they can't tell you to booster your DD when her seat says she can be harnessed.

mburks26

ok thanks is there anything I need to send with the inlaws as if they do get pulled over and a cop tells them my dd needs to be in a booster they will sure enough do it and turn the GN in a booster by leaving the harness in and just routing the seat belt probley wont take off the locking clip or anything.
They think putting dd cousion in a backless at age 4 and half 60lbs is just fine and high back booster at just before 3 and 30lbs was fine as well as using crashed high back boosters.
I so wish me and dh could go and transport both kids.

skitle1802

If you want, you could print out the law and highlight the proper use parts and stick it in an envelope with the Nauti manual and medical release form for your DD.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wait, you're not going to be there? Are these the same inlaws that you have posted about many times before, complaining about their mis/non-use?

mburks26

Wait, you're not going to be there? Are these the same inlaws that you have posted about many times before, complaining about their mis/non-use?

yep I was not invited I was told that they will be going with them in the end of July and that was the end of it. I will be putting the seat in before they go. Ill adjust it the harness and everything before they leave so all they have to do is buckle the bottom (my dd can do the top and place it right) I installed the GN in their car Friday and nothing was said about it. There will be no need to take out the GN while they are there.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
yep I was not invited I was told that they will be going with them in the end of July and that was the end of it. I will be putting the seat in before they go. Ill adjust it the harness and everything before they leave so all they have to do is buckle the bottom (my dd can do the top and place it right) I installed the GN in their car Friday and nothing was said about it. There will be no need to take out the GN while they are there.

It's a family reunion and you weren't invited to go but were told that your in-laws are taking your child?

I know you're not asking for advice with your interpersonal relationships, so I won't give any. However, based on what you've posted about your in-laws before, I would not in any way trust them to use (let alone properly use) the car seat you are providing. If you don't want her to go, I would use past misuse as your reason (not that you need a reason to say no).

myliljunebugs

OK only states that under 6 or 60lbs they must use a child safety seat. Plus the proper use clause. So no, they won't tell her grandparents she has to be in a booster. But on the same token I have to agree with PP, my child would NOT be going. JMO. Oh, and also, that may be OK City's recommendation, but they will never trump the law of the state.

Kaede's_Mom

OK only states that under 6 or 60lbs they must use a child safety seat. Plus the proper use clause. So no, they won't tell her grandparents she has to be in a booster. But on the same token I have to agree with PP, my child would NOT be going. JMO. Oh, and also, that may be OK City's recommendation, but they will never trump the law of the state.

All this!

However, even if they are pulled over chances of a small town cop or anyone other then OHP (ok highway patrol) they wont even notice or care what kind of seat they are in. I have found that in small towns here in OK, they are more likely to think it is over kill to have her in it and leave it alone.

mburks26

Well I told dh I did not want her to go and he said you will put the seat in the way it goes where you want it and it will be fine. DD knows how to make sure the harness is right and thats all that matters since I will be putting it in and there will be no reason to take it out.

sixmaybemore

Well I told dh I did not want her to go and he said you will put the seat in the way it goes where you want it and it will be fine. DD knows how to make sure the harness is right and thats all that matters since I will be putting it in and there will be no reason to take it out.

I was in this situation once. I did not want my then 4 yo daughter going to the next state for a trip with my MIL. I was *convinced to let her go.

Let me tell you, I'm lucky that my child is alive.

She sat, in the front seat, with NO CARSEAT. L/S belt, presumably with the shoulder portion behind her back. She came home reeking of ciggarette smoke. MIL had smoked, with the windows rolled up.

My kid is 17, and to this day I regret letting her go.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I am in agreement with LISmama. You've posted quite a bit about how your inlaws don't transport kids safely. You can't control what they do, but you can make sure your daughter is not transported by them. With respect, the stuff you've posted about is recreational -- shows and parties and stuff -- and not life-and-death emergencies. It's your responsibility to keep your child safe, and that is more than just HAVING the right seats for her: it's not putting her in a position where she will be unsafely transported, and (IMO) it's not putting a 5yo in charge of her own safety.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC