Medic Alert bracelets

Splash

Does anyone have one for your kid? Or yourself?

I am almost positive we're going with the actual company, not a generic band. Given the myriad of issues Charlie has, I want his entire history available, not just what I can fit on a few lines of engraving.

I don't know what to put on the bracelet, though. Some of the more serious issues are not first response issues.

The allergies that I know NEED to be on there- Egg, latex, penicillin

The allergies I'm wavering on-
Peanuts and tree nuts- not as severe a reaction and I don't think that they are contraindicated for any medical procdure, please tell me if I'm wrong!

cephlasporin- most docs will assume a cephlasporin allergy if the child has a pcn allergy

macrolides- the reaction is not that severe, and they're not going to be giving him abx on the fly, anyway

Shellfish- this one I'm wavering on big time. I don't know how severe his reaction to this is, and shellfish allergies are contraindicated for medical procedures requiring iodine injections. My dad is a radiologist and he told me he would leave it off, because even when his patients DO have an iodine reaction, it's not severe. Charlie has had topical iodine before with no adverse effects. I think I'll leave it off

Now, the medical stuff...

His immune suppression is not, at this point, a first response issue. We'll probably leave it off.
His platelets are likely to be a first response issue. I am wavering between putting "thrombocytopenia and granular deficiency" or just "platelet disorder" and letting them call it in. Remember my space IS limited on this little bracelet! Plus, everyone will know what thrombocytopenia is, but might not know about granular deficiency.
Asthma... it's a short word. Should I just include it?

So... you can see why I'm going for the service instead of just buying a random band! It's $40 the first year and $25 thereafter, peanuts in comparison to what it might mean. Plus, with his ever changing health status, I can update his record with them daily if need be.

I wanted to get him just a band (http://www.medicalert.org/emblems/A484.jpg), but I'm worried it won't be as noticeable and/or he'll be able to remove it too easily. Plus, they start at nine inches and I think that's still a bit too big. So I've decided to get him the standard bracelet (http://www.medicalert.org/emblems/A126.jpg, and I can change the color of the staff and letters, I'd either go red or blue). It starts at five inches, will be virtually impossible for him to remove, and is definitely a medic alert bracelet (versus the other potentially being mistaken for something else). I'm just worried that he's going to react to the metal, and buying it in silver or gold is too expensive given that we're going to have to buy a new one twice a year or so for a few years.

Any thoughts? Either on the bracelet itself, or the stuff to put on it. Does anyone else use Medic Alert? Have you *had* to use it? Have any experience with the company good or bad? I'd appreciate any input!

Also, if your kid wears an ID bracelet of any kind, how did s/he react at first? I'm sure Charlie is going to freak out about it, but it's not optional. Any tips on making him hate it less?

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i have no tips, but i do have a question...should my DD have one because of her pen allergy? atleast when she is older? i never thought of that...:confused:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My dd has a membership and bracelet from medicalert.org

We have thankfully never had to use it, but I am glad it's there.

Dd was 17 months when she had her first bracelet, and she hated it initially, but got used to it, and now she is 6 and gets upset anytime I take it off (to get a new one, to thoroughly clean it etc.)

My dd has no health issues other then food allergies and I have all of her food allergies listed (they finally all fit! She has outgrown quite a few).

Make a list.

Prioritize.

Then call medicalert and see how much they can fit on the bracelet.

Best of luck!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Based on a thumbs up from Wendy Thomas, DD1 has worn an i.d. bracelet with the watch band style for about a year from http://www.n-styleid.com/child_medical_id_bracelet.htm with her egg and peanut allergy engraved on the i.d. She loves the bracelet designs and we've gone through about 4 or 5 of the bands so far. The bands are not meant to be super durable, kind of in between a hospital wrist band and a Swatch watch band for durability. DD wears one round the clock and is a bit hard on them. Since she's not in school yet other than some recreational classes, it's more of a visual reminder for her and for us at this point, and we've never had an emergency exposure scenario where we needed to use her Epipens/rush to the hospital. Granted she's older than Charlie but maybe something like this would be workable for him? I don't know if you can get something similar through the official medical alert company to tie in to their records system.

Splash

I thought about those, and would do it if he only had one or two self explained issues.
Medic Alert only offers the metal (stainless steel, silver, gold, titanium, or rhodium) bracelet and pendants, or the nylon bands. I know he'd be fine with a necklace, but I am not comfortable with a necklace on a baby. Plus I don't think it would be as noticeable.
I'm mostly concerned in the event of a car accident where and adult is not there to vouch for him. He's never away from one of us, so if we're both conscious we can tell them everything. But his allergies are contraindicated for a lot of medications, and the platelet issues can definitely cause major problems.

Amber- For your daughter, I'd do something like Jean has if you wanted to do something. For just one thing, you don't need a service.

LaurieB

Hey Splash - just another idea, I'd go with a bracelet too - I have stickers on both of my seats, kids names, emer phone numbers (including the ped)DOB's, blood type, allergies, conditions...Casey cannot have an MRI because of his cochlear implant, it also explains that he has Fragile X and is non-verbal. He really should have a bracelet too but wouldn't tolerate one. I figured if we are in an accident where I or DH or the driver can't answer questions the info is there. Its not visible from the street but as EMTS are supposed to remove the whole seat and not just the child they'd see it. Our State Patrol hands out a similar sticker but I just used a plain label. If you aren't already doing this is might be another little thing may help.

Laurie

swags

Splash, I wear one for a latex and morphine allergy among others and yes I have had to use it. I would list things that are going to make a difference in an Emergency first, latex, and pen. being big ones, I would also list the platelet disorder, and list it as just that, as an EMT I would have no clue what thrombocytopenia and granular deficiency is but I do know what a platelet disorder is.

You mentioned that you are most worried about him being in a accident have you thought about putting a medical alert sticker on his car seat. One other thing i would suggest is keeping a more indepth list of allergies and medical conditions in a ziploc bag in your glove box, place a medical alert sticker on both the bag and glove box and if you want to go even a step further something that says "emergency medical information inside", or something to that effect.

Also ask his pedi, and allergist, and any other medical professional he sees if they have anything that they think should be included.

Someone else asked if their db needed one for an allergy. Any child, or adult for that matter that has an allergy, or medical condition that can make a difference in an emergency situation should wear one IMHO. If in doubt ask your medical professional.

JaRylan

Splash,
I have a friend whose son has a lot of allergies (allergic to dairy, beef, coconut, egg, tomato and the list goes on) and severe asthma. I sent her an email and this is what she had to say:

As for Landon... He has been wearing a medic-alert since shortly after his 1st birthday since we found out he was ana. to dairy. I got him the plain steal one, and he has never reacted. Every time Landon goes to the hospital they call medic-alert to get all his info. As for what you can do for your child... I don't know how old this child is but even with Landon when he was a year, I told him "This bracelet is very special. It is just for you, and it tells everyone how very special you are. It also tells people that you have food allergies, and that you sometimes get sick. That way everyone can work together to keep you healthy" Than I would work on him with family and close friends... "Oh honey, go show Nana your special bracelet..." It even has gotten to the point that after someone looks at it, he turns it around so they can read it.

Landon's list since his first birthday have gotten bigger, so I've updated his file. When and if we can a dx of a sever issue other than allergies, I'll reprint his bracelet.

But for now it says... "Rx: EPIPEN anaphylaxis to dairy/asthma ALLERY: zithromax & penicillin"

Questions answered, to what I think...

#1 I'd say go with Medic-alert and not a generic brand, as Medic-alert is going to be looked for. PLus medic-alert holds more information, plus when dr's phone medic-alert they not only re-tell them what's on the bracelet but tell them everything that is going to be on her son's file.

#2 As for what to put on the bracelet... "allergic to latex/penicillin" "severe food allergies" "platelet disorder" if the child carries an epipen that can be added on, or just put on file

#3 the file should contain everything that he is alergic to, explain disorders... whatever. Get as much info into his file as you can (you can update on the website with you coustomer number)

#4 peanuts can become a severe allergy, but if you put food allergies... it can vary and the health care pro. is going to call to find out everything anyways... so that can be changes if he gets new alleries, or outgrows allergies.

#5 Asthma.. if you have room, yes put it on

#6 We didn't go with gold or silver, we went with plain steal and it works great for my ds. The band even though looks cool the velcro can wreck easily and the steal is the typical medic-alert that stands out

HTH

If you weren't able to get all the info that you wanted on one tag I wonder if they would allow you to put two tags on one bracelet? As for places to keep info about his medical needs and emergency info my mom keeps a sheet with her info inside a pill bottle and attached to the inside of the fridge door with an elastic (I've also heard of people taping the info sheet to the back of the main entry door). Supposedly if the paramedics were called to the house they would know to check the inside of the fridge door for her medical information (in addition to her medic alert bracelet).

As for the cost of buying one in gold or silver there may be a children's charity that might be able to help out. Up here we have the Kinsmen Telemiracle Foundation, Lion's Club, President's Choice Charity (grocery store)...there might be something similar in your area.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited:

Splash

Thanks! That's great! I'm glad to know that people have called for her son.

I'm going to specifically list the eggs, but I'll also list "multiple food allergies" as well. The egg is a first response thing because it's in so many medications. I'll definitely try to distinguish his ana allergies from other ones, and update the file big time.

At least the steel bracelets are cheap. I can get him a new bracelet as often as needed, for different sizes, new dx, etc. If the steel bothers him, we'll buy him a silver one.

JaRylan

Thanks! That's great! I'm glad to know that people have called for her son.

I'm going to specifically list the eggs, but I'll also list "multiple food allergies" as well. The egg is a first response thing because it's in so many medications. I'll definitely try to distinguish his ana allergies from other ones, and update the file big time.

At least the steel bracelets are cheap. I can get him a new bracelet as often as needed, for different sizes, new dx, etc. If the steel bothers him, we'll buy him a silver one.

She has the same problem with milk ingredients being in medicines. She has learned not to trust the doctor/nurse whoever it is that is about to put meds down his throat (she found out the hard way while they were in hospital that zithromax contains milk ingredients, I think this is the same time that they sent him up a bowl of cheerios and milk for breakfast :mad: ). Now she demands to see the excipient list for the med first. When Rylan was on the ketogenic diet I made up a wallet sized card listing all the different names of things that he wasn't allowed to have. I'll use sugar words because it is easier for me to think of more, lol. Sugar: sucrose, lactose, galactose, fructose, mannose, maltose, glucose, dextrose, dextrimaltose, polydextrose, syrup, mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, sucanat, maltodextrin, lycasin, turbinado, honey, molasses, cornstarch (these are all sugar words not allowed on the Ketogenic Diet).

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Does anyone have one for your kid? Or yourself?

Yes. I wear one.

I am almost positive we're going with the actual company, not a generic band. Given the myriad of issues Charlie has, I want his entire history available, not just what I can fit on a few lines of engraving.

I have gone through several and now have a "official MedicAlert" bracelet. The others I had have had a high nickel-content, which is not good for a person with a nickel sensitivity. :)

The allergies that I know NEED to be on there- Egg, latex, penicillin

YES, definitely!!

cephlasporin- most docs will assume a cephlasporin allergy if the child has a pcn allergy

I would hope most docs would know that, but I wouldn't count on it. I had an ER doc try to give me Erythromycin DESPITE the fact that my MedicAlert bracelet lists "mycin" drugs. The drug even ENDS in mycin and he said, "Oh. I didn't realize that was the same class." WHAT?

Shellfish- this one I'm wavering on big time. I don't know how severe his reaction to this is, and shellfish allergies are contraindicated for medical procedures requiring iodine injections. My dad is a radiologist and he told me he would leave it off, because even when his patients DO have an iodine reaction, it's not severe. Charlie has had topical iodine before with no adverse effects. I think I'll leave it off.

I think that is up to you. I have my shellfish allergy listed because of the iodine issue. A lady I used to know had an anaphylactic reaction to iodine, which scares me. While it may be rare, I don't want to take any chances. Maybe I am being overly cautious, though.

Now, the medical stuff...

His immune suppression is not, at this point, a first response issue. We'll probably leave it off.
His platelets are likely to be a first response issue. I am wavering between putting "thrombocytopenia and granular deficiency" or just "platelet disorder" and letting them call it in. Remember my space IS limited on this little bracelet! Plus, everyone will know what thrombocytopenia is, but might not know about granular deficiency.

I'd include "platelet disorder."

Asthma... it's a short word. Should I just include it?

Yes!

I'm just worried that he's going to react to the metal, and buying it in silver or gold is too expensive given that we're going to have to buy a new one twice a year or so for a few years.

As I said above, I have gone through several bracelets. My current one is gold and was VERY expensive. I completely understand why you say it is too expensive!!! I have an issue with nickel, so I didn't do well with the cheaper metals, which have a higher nickel content. It is worth a try for Charlie, though!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC