New to all this and need advice

metatliveevent

Hey all,
We just got my DSS8 back into a booster (I know, I know....but we have him in one now). I just want to make sure that it fits him well.

The seat belt fits where it should according to the 5 step test. However, about a third of his head sticks above the headrest. The wings cover his ear area, but above his eyebrows is over the headrest.

I guess I should tell you that he's in a Britax Parkway SG. The shoulder belt guide is attached to the headrest. If we adjust the headrest to where his head is fully inside the wings, the shoulder strap doesn't hit him right. We also don't have much room in our Cavalier for the headrest to go much higher.

Is this safe? I'm not a technician and don't know any near here.

We're also expecting our first foster child placement any day now and I'll probably need advice for that child as well.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's fine. He has until the tips of his ears go over the top of the headrest when it's at its highest, or when his shoulder goes over the highest belt guide height. Or he hits the weight limit.

Wendy

sixmaybemore

Hey, S! I'm so happy you found your way over here!

Don't you find out about the foster placement this week? Any idea how old?

Maedze

Can you post a picture of your son in the seat? It sounds like you don't have the head rest adjusted high enough. The Parkway SG adjusts quite tall and it's pretty unlikely that an 8 year old's head would stick 1/3rd of the way out of the top at the highest setting.

metatliveevent

I think I might be able to take a picture. He's my stepson and we don't post recognizable pictures of him on the internet, so I'd have to modify it in some way.

I do know that because of our small car, we can't adjust the back of the Parkway up very much more. We're hoping to get a minivan soon.

Six, yes, we find out about our first placement this week. We're thinking that it will be a 3 month old.

Should I put the baby using the lap-only belt in the middle? I haven't even begun to think of the puzzle that will be going on in our back seat. What are some recommendations for small babies like that?

Thanks for all the responses.

JerseyGirl'sMama

The Parkway SG adjusts quite tall and it's pretty unlikely that an 8 year old's head would stick 1/3rd of the way out of the top at the highest setting.

I think she said if she adjusts the head rest to it's highest setting then it doesn't fit his shoulder right.

I think I might be able to take a picture. He's my stepson and we don't post recognizable pictures of him on the internet, so I'd have to modify it in some way.

Should I put the baby using the lap-only belt in the middle? I haven't even begun to think of the puzzle that will be going on in our back seat. What are some recommendations for small babies like that?

Do you have a Photobucket acct or Photoshop? You can easily distort his face with those. I really think a picture would help.

It is perfectly fine to install an infant seat or any harnessed seat (no boosters) with a lap belt only. How much does the baby weigh and do you already have a carseat or do you need to purchase one?

metatliveevent

You're absolutely right that if we adjust it up much more, the shoulder guide isn't where the manufacturer said it should be in the manual.

I can take a picture and then do something in Paint. :)

I have no idea of the baby's weight. She's placed in another home. We won't even find out if we get her until we get the call that she's on her way. :(

We do have a used car seat. It's from a good friend and hasn't been in a crash, nor is it past the expiration date. We'll use it until we know for sure that the child is staying with us (a week, max), then probably get a different seat. I just don't feel that great with a used car seat.

I'll try to get pics ASAP because we're leaving for "vacation" in a couple of hours. We're just going camping about 15 minutes from home, but it's still "vacation". :)

JerseyGirl'sMama

I have no idea of the baby's weight. She's placed in another home. We won't even find out if we get her until we get the call that she's on her way. :(

We do have a used car seat. It's from a good friend and hasn't been in a crash, nor is it past the expiration date. We'll use it until we know for sure that the child is staying with us (a week, max), then probably get a different seat. I just don't feel that great with a used car seat.

I'll try to get pics ASAP because we're leaving for "vacation" in a couple of hours. We're just going camping about 15 minutes from home, but it's still "vacation". :)

Ah, I see.

Your plan sounds great with the infant seat. Do you happen to know which one it is (manufacturer and model?)

Have a great vacation. :)

sixmaybemore

Yes, it is expired. Looks like you need to get a seat asap now. What vehicle do you have and what other carseats (besides the Parkway) and other passengers do you have?

I can't remember what car she has (I want to say Cavalier, but if I'm wrong she'd probably smack me next time I see her lol). The only other passenger besides the two adults is the aforementioned 8 yo in the PWSG.

metatliveevent

I can't remember what car she has (I want to say Cavalier, but if I'm wrong she'd probably smack me next time I see her lol). The only other passenger besides the two adults is the aforementioned 8 yo in the PWSG.

No smacking needed. We have a Cavalier and a really old Ford Taurus wagon. The kids and I will be in the Cavalier most often. As of right now, we'll only be carting around the 8yo and possibly the baby...plus my husband and myself.

We'll send someone to buy a seat when we get our first placement. I don't want to a buy a seat for this 3 month old, then get a 3 year old. I'll just keep the child at home and let That Wonderful Man of Mine run get a car seat (or someone else if we have an exact model etc).

Thanks for all the help. We're about to go on some errands, so I'll get pics of the 8yo (we call him Sport Track) in the seat and upload them in a bit.

I just saw the link. I'll read it when I get home from errands in a few minutes.

disbugsmomma

You could buy a convertible instead of an infant seat, that way you would have a seat if you do end up with a 3yo instead. Otherwise, you would likely have to buy a convertible in a few months anyway. :twocents:

sixmaybemore

Wow, I can't believe I remembered it was a Cavalier.... lol

PS I'll put some pics up of N sitting in his booster this week for Sport Track!

metatliveevent

100_2546-1.jpg

Here's a picture from the driver's seat. We were parked and the car wasn't on! :)
ETA: I'm not happy about the bunching of the seat belt near the guide. I fix it every time, but took the picture before I fixed it this time.

100_2545.jpg

Here's a picture of the part of his head that is sticking up over the top of the headrest. I tried to not cover his eyebrows so that you guys would have a guide.

We found out today that we're not getting the 3 month old right now. I'll need advice on what type of seat to get for a large range of children aged 0-4 years old. :)

Thanks!

Maedze

Definitely move that head rest up a notch :) The guide needs to come from at or above, and that is hedging on 'below'.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I agree, it needs to go up at least one click.

As for the baby, I'd get a good convertible, like a MyRide, True Fit, or Radian, and you have a very good chance of being able to use it for any placement between birth and 5-6 years old ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC