Mazda 5

Ella

I am interested in getting a mazda 5 because 90% of the time we don't want a minivan. We will need a couple of extra seats only infrequently. Also, we would like a smaller car and lower gas mileage.

The thing that is stopping me from getting the Mazda 5 is that the 2 3rd row seats seem to be too close to the back. I am worried about the safety of those seats in a rear-end accident. If I am not comfortable with the safety then there is really no point in considering the car.

Is there another alternative? I thought about a hybrid SUV but they are more expensive. What I really want is a hybrid minivan. Why haven't they been developed/released yet?

ADS

Crystal.

CPS Technician
From what I've heard, the rear bumper was crash tested to 50 mph. That and the fact that only 4% of accidents are rear-end collisions make me feel okay about it. You also have to consider that the speed a vehicle hits you from behind is equivalent to being hit in a frontal impact at half the speed. So, it's also a bit less force.

chay

Last I checked the Rondo doesn't have top tethers in the 3rd row and the 3rd row is as close to the back as the Mazda 5.

I was looking 2 years ago with similar criteria and came home with a Mazda 5. There was nothing else that was small, fuel efficient and fit 4 car seats... (2 all of the time + occasional friends)

Angela

Last I checked the Rondo doesn't have top tethers in the 3rd row and the 3rd row is as close to the back as the Mazda 5.

I was looking 2 years ago with similar criteria and came home with a Mazda 5. There was nothing else that was small, fuel efficient and fit 4 car seats... (2 all of the time + occasional friends)

I LOVE our Kia Rondo, but yes, you are correct... no 3rd row tethers. And it is really close to the the back of the car. The nice thing is that you can put the 3rd row down if you only have the 2 car seats and just put them up if you have more. I've used it several times with either 2 TB or 1 RF and 1 TB in the back. Depending on how often you would need kids in the back, if might be a good choice.

luckyclov

How many children do you have? If you have 1 or 2, I'd say go for the 5. I had a 2008 Mazda5 and I loooooved every bit of it. The gas mileage, the look, the dual sliding doors on basically a car frame, the fact that the 3rd row folded flat, etc. The 3rd row, BTW, had tethers for both seats, but no lower anchors. It was the perfect car for a family of 4, with the occasional "spare kid" tossed in the back. But we started to stress out about space when I was pg with #3 and we ended up trading it in for another fullsize minivan.

The crash test ratings for the 5, FWIW, are excellent. I would love to own another one, but we just need the extra space...I've even tried to get DH to buy one, but he won't give up his SUV. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC