Booster or Radian XTSL for 5yo?

3kids

I am trying to work out what to do with my nearly 5yo. Currently in a seat with inbuilt 5pt harness but will probably outgrow that within the next 6m:(.

So the question is do we go for a booster seat (like the Maxi Cosi Rodi XR) or purchase something like the Radian XTSL:confused:

Most day to day driving will be short trips around the suburbs, but we do do a 10hr drive each way 2-3 times a year (so sleeping in car).

ADS

armywife12

How much does he weigh and do you happen to know his torso length (bottom to top of shoulders)? If you think he is mature enough for a booster, is find a booster that fits him properly and start booster training. is there a reason you want to go with a radian for a ff seat? Do you need a narrow seat? If not, I wouldn't go with a convertible for a ff child since you won't use it rf. I would get a maestro, nautilus, or frontier instead.

Maedze

What vehicle do you drive? What is your budget? What other kids are riding in the vehicle, where do they sit and what if any child restraints do they use?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Neither?

I might prefer to see a 5yo harnessed (depending on if he just turned five or if he's closing in on six), but a convertible seat for a 5yo is not the most practical choice or the most bang for your buck. I'd look at a good combination harness-to-booster seat.

3kids

DS is approx 40-41 pounds and about 41 inches small:eek:

We need to fit 3 seats across (each seat is 17.7 inches wide) so size is important (plus we are overseas so have issues getting US seats in general but I know I can get the Radian if I want/need it).

I am not concerned about $$$ or longevitiy (as DS is the eldest so seat will continue to be used as a 'spare' for DH's car or will be used for other kids as they grow).

Maedze

Thanks for the information :)

It would be very helpful to know the sizes and ages of your other two children and the seats they are using.

3kids

I have a 6mo in a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix (EU) capsule (she should last in this to about 15-18m of age as she is small) and base and a nearly 3yo in a Maxi Cosi Priorifix (EU) seat (he should last in this seat to about 4.5yrs).

armywife12

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those other two seats at all so I'm not sure what seat would be best for your 5 yr old. I think the Radian would be a good option if it will fit because you can pass it down to one of the younger children when the oldest moves on to a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC