how can we get the news about erf/eh out?

cryway903

This may have been covered before but from my research it seems many of us in many different areas are seeing the same things. I have always been very cautitous with my children keeping them rf because it was safer (although until recently I couldn't have told you why it was safer) but last year I turned my 3.5 yo ff because I mistakenly believed she couldn't rf in front of a built in child safety seat and assumed she would be safer ff in a center seat then rf outboard. Around here i often see babies ff to soon, boosters to soon, no carseats, expired carseats etc. In my area the nearest tech is over an hour away, most parents wont drive that far. Yet I honestly think a lot of parents Would make safer choices for their children if they just KNEW there were safety advantages to certain types of restraints. I talked to a mom today that I honestly dont think she knew there were safety reasons for rf her infant and was considering ff him at six months. Now that she knows she can at least make an informed decision. So anyone have ideas on how we can spread the word? Bumper stickers? Vehicle magnets? Flyers? Pamphlets? Carseat education when no tech is available?...?

ADS

NannyMom

you could become a tech :whistle: Does your child go to preschool? Ask the director about handing out pamphlets. Talk to pediatricians.

jess71903

Ambassador
I think Facebook is a good outlet for it. The absolute easiest way is to join the c-s.org group and then "share" the tips posted from them.

cryway903

I would love to become a tech but it just isn't an option for me right now. If only they were online courses. We homeschool so there's no teacher to talk to.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Lead by example. When I talk to someone about ERF/EH etc, it makes it very easy to say that "My __ year old still ___, and he loves it." Whether it's the 3yo who is still RF, the 5yo who is still harnessed, the 6 & 8yos who are boostered with me (but not their parents,) etc. I was talking to a mom about the Monterey last week, and explained that my six year old -- who does not use a booster with dad and "conveniently" sits in a seat other than where his booster is with mom -- loves his so much that he asked me if he could take it on vacation with him.

For me, since I have six seats in six spots in my van, and every one of them exceeds minimums, it's very easy to say "Listen, if I can do it with this many kids in this tight of space, you can do it too," albeit in not so many words.

I definitely agree with NannyMom though, if you can get certified it will help up your credibility a lot. It was a bit frustrating for me, since the areas I feel most strongly about educating about (ERF, EH, boostering 'til 5-step) are things I learned here, before class, and at most were barely touched in class. BUT, there's definitely a difference in attitude and peoples' receptiveness to me, even amongst my daycare parents (who have been getting advice and help on installs from me for a year now - :confused:) I was able to help my cousin with his son's seat yesterday, and I think the reason he let me do that was that my mom mentioned I took the class.

I have the same drive about wanting to get the word out... now that I'm a tech, I can put cards places and feel like I have some "clout" when I speak to people. I think I need to tackle the peds' offices next. It wasn't simple for me to take the class -- I had to take three days off of work and drive two hours, each way, every day -- but I felt it was really important. Largely for the liability portion of it (I was essentially acting as a tech for my dcp, because they needed help and wouldn't go see a tech,) and secondarily for the credibility portion of it. I've been surprised at the leap in my credibility, especially around people who have known me "before" and "after" and are aware there's no difference in the information I give them.

I also want to get a cling for my vehicle that says something like, "My toddler still rear-faces... ask me why!" Who knows if it will do any good, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC