Cheap infant seat rec.

agurlsride

I need to find an affordable (cheap) infant seat for a friend of ours who will (hopefully) be adopting a baby in the next couple of days. The baby was born yesterday I believe, to a 16yr old who is giving her up for adoption...she has 72hrs to change her mind and we are praying that she doesn't.

My youngest is 4 so I am out of touch with whats available but I said I would buy them one as a gift. I don't know how big the baby is but the friends drive an older Infinity sedan with no latch. This will be their first baby and probably their only child.

I don't think I can spend more than $50-$60 as rent is coming up and its a stretch to do this for them but they asked, so I've gotta try.

TIA!

ADS

rosey2007

If they do not have their heart set on an infant bucket they could get a Cosco Scenera for around $39.00(Walmart). It also looks like they have some Graco Snugride 22 car seats with for 65.00. It looks like they give you a 10 gift card with the seat as well.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Whatever you do, don't get the Evenflo Discovery! It is a pain to adjust, pain to get in & out of the base, and feels so cheap and flimsy plus the handle has to be rotated back with 1.5" of space between it and the seat in front of it.

There's this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Designer-Infant-Car-Seat-Windham/13060506
but it's online only, don't know how long it would take to get it.

Would they be open to starting out with a convertible? If so, you can get a Scenera for $39 at Walmart.
Or a Tribute from Walmart for $52

There may be something in swap also but unless it's local, you may need it sooner than it could get to you.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, a Scenera would be great. Otherwise, make sure any infant seat you get has a front adjust harness.

For instance, this Snugride is front adjust. See the strap hanging down the front?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-SnugRide-Infant-Car-Seat-G-Style/14526451

This one is rear adjust. No strap.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-SnugRide-Infant-Car-Seat-Margo/14526452

Run from rear adjusts. They're so hard to use properly, and not used properly means they're less safe.

Walmart also has the Safety 1st infant seat for $60. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-D-22-Infant-Car-Seat-Nordica/13373500 That'd be fine as well.

Congrats to them! I just did a check with a couple going on Tuesday to pick up their daughter in Chicago (we're in Seattle). They were frazzled, to say the least. It happened very quickly for them. I hope your friends don't have any issues with the adoption, and I hope the mother can make her decision with peace.

Wendy

agurlsride

Thanks ladies...I checked out the seats they had at Walmart while I was doing some grocery shopping...I noticed the Discovery but I'm glad I didn't pick it up. Sadly, I used one of those for both of my girls and while one of them was able to used it until she was 6 mos(and could have stayed in it longer), the other outgrew it by 3 months, and yes...it was a pain to use!
I'll check out one of the Snugrides and see about the $10 off....that might work.
I was curious about the Safety 1st seat tho, I know nothing about it.

Oh and yeah...I had a seat with the rear-adjust for my first son who is now 10....never again will I use one of those...what a PITA!

thanks again!

SavsMom

Diapers.com also offers this seat - you could call Diapers.com and have them price match it, use a couple coupon codes and get it for less - and they ship very quickly so you know you would get it by mid-week.

Whatever you do, don't get the Evenflo Discovery! It is a pain to adjust, pain to get in & out of the base, and feels so cheap and flimsy plus the handle has to be rotated back with 1.5" of space between it and the seat in front of it.

There's this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Designer-Infant-Car-Seat-Windham/13060506
but it's online only, don't know how long it would take to get it.

Would they be open to starting out with a convertible? If so, you can get a Scenera for $39 at Walmart.
Or a Tribute from Walmart for $52

There may be something in swap also but unless it's local, you may need it sooner than it could get to you.

HappyMommy

If you decide on the Safety First, Sears has that seat available in store (so you would not have to order it online and you could actually see it before buying it).

agurlsride

If you decide on the Safety First, Sears has that seat available in store (so you would not have to order it online and you could actually see it before buying it).

Hmmm...Mom works for Sears...I wonder if I could get a discount if I tell them this...j/k

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC