anyone else ever get injuries/bruises from installing carseats?

cryway903

I was just wondering if anyone else ever winds up all bruised or has achy/pulled muscles after installing carseats. I bought 2 new seats day before yesterday which required moving seats and installing/reinstalling 5 different carseats then yesterday because I wasn't exactly happy with the install on one (still not) I adjusted two of the seats. When I came in my oldest said "mommy your legs" and I discovered they're covered in bruises plus my shoulders hurt terribly from wrestling the seats and seatbelts. My left shoulder hurts enough that I'm trying not to use that arm. All from carseats. Just wondering if anyone else wants to share their war stories; -)

Last edited:
ADS

urchin_grey

No bruises yet, I don't think, but I've lost quite a few fingernails and chunks of the first layer or two of skin. :p

mommyfrog

Many broken and bent fingernails, scraped knuckles, and last week I slipped and scraped/bruised my shin. Ouch!!

Misty-Bug

I reach my hand in through the belt path when installing FFing so I end up getting cuts on the inside of my wrist. Looks bad.....

hrice

I always rub blisters on the palms of my hands from pulling the LATCH strap. I'll have some tonight because DS had a pee accident in his XTSL. Oh potty training!

urchin_grey

I won the fight with the Radian in the center of the (2003) Forester, but I sure looked like I had lost.

Yeah, same thing happened to me with a Radian and my sister's '95 Crown Vic. The locking clip apparently thought I needed my fingernails trimmed.

Kat_Shoshin

I get my wrist scraped daily when buckling in my booster kid :rolleyes: (3 across)

And I have eczema on my right hand... so yeah sometimes pulling on a strap or seat belt will take a layer off :thumbsdown:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh yeah. Especially working a public check for five hours when seven months pregnant. I looked awful (I bruise easily) and I felt like I'd been run over. I seriously couldn't move well for two days.

Wendy

tiggercat

When I do clinics I always bruise up pretty good. Both my knees and my forearms for some reason (I tend to use my forearm for leverage when installing graco infant bases). I can definitely feel it for a few days. But installing my own seats doesn't cause any pain, since I am used to them.

I bruise from radians.. really majorly, I look like I was attacked. I always end up poping blood vessels in my fingers and wrists when I install, I got one so bad in my wrist that it bruised this scarey nasty huge yellowish bruise on my wrist inside, I hate that popped feeling when the inside turns black and gets giant.

I am on break from a battle with a rear facing radian in the center of a passat.. aughhhhh I am making Keith go in there with me if I ever get Nolan to bed, I had him asleep but the neighbors are having a big graduation party and they are blasting latin music and reving this motercycle up and down the block.. they did it just after he nodded off and now I can't get him back to sleep:mad::thumbsdown:

sixmaybemore

Yep. I bruised myself up just a couple weeks ago installing two seats into a Buick Rendevous (and isn't *that car a piece of crap! seriously, WTH were those engineers smoking when they made that car??).

I've broken fingernails, scraped my nails, smacked my head, and once even got gluten contaminated. That last one sucked, but I've been really careful since then.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I bruise from radians.. really majorly, I look like I was attacked.
I lost a battle with a RF Radian during my tech class. I won the install, but looked like I had been beaten across the upper thighs with a bat. I was using my legs to push the seat while I tightened the belt... DH was like WTH happened to you??? "sorry hunny, I'm not really taking a class, just meeting up with my studly boyfriend" :whistle: :p

cryway903

My mom just underwent surgery yesterday for a torn shoulder something, the ligament tore away from the bone., and its kind of got me wondering (not that it matters because I wont do anything different) what kind of long term damage installing carseats might be doing?

Mom2FiveGirls

I bruise really easily so yeah, ive gotten bruised installing car seats often. I also scrape my wrists fairly often too (especially when installing the scenera or AOE). Once I was attempting to install the MR after it had just rained and I was standing on the running board and my foot slipped and I fell backwards onto the ground and landed on a bike and hit my head on a tree... I could barely move for days.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I currently have a bruise on the inside of my right arm (like the left side, not the bottom) from trying for fifteen minutes to buckle a booster in a tight three-across. I won... then moved the booster. LOL.

When I got my Pilot, and all of my new seats, I had a multi-hour fight with all of them, trying to achieve a third-row three across. Not only did I come in sans fingernails and bruised, I felt like I'd done a thousand pushups the next day. Took me forever to figure out why my abs ached so badly.

Sadly, my best workouts come from carseat installs. If I could work a few clinics a week, I'd be skinny... :whistle:

scariestone

Oy, yes. Every time I install the radian in our volvo I get a horrible bruise on my shin from the little ridgey thing that sticks up next to the seating area because I have to kneel on in there to get it upright. The fr85 is a whole 'nother battle. I literally have to jump on it with my knee while yanking the male end of the buckle down with my one hand and the female end up with the other because it uses every last bit of seatbelt. Every time I've installed it I've been sore for days afterward. And don't worry, I don't do that with other seats. I'm just really not worried about cracking a blow molded shell even though I'm not exactly a tiny gal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC