Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Ugh - stop kicking her in the face!

Long story short, our 3 across leaves my ODD to fend for herself at the moment. She is outboard FF and YDD is RF centre. YDD's leg is the *perfect* length to kick ODD directly in the face!!!!

Has anyone had success in dealing with this behaviour. All we have right now is taking away her pacifier and telling ODD to try to block her foot. On rare occasions, we have told ODD to pinch YDD's foot (reaaallly rare, like when all 3 are screaming and we're an hour from home).

Please tell me she'll outgrow this behaviour! Moving them around is not an option!

ETA: we do try to distract and keep them busy with activities/toys, but it doesn't stop the initial unsuspected blow
    #1 9y 54lbs TB~ #2 6y 43lbs TB~ #3 4y 38lbs RXT~ #4 17m 22lbs Fllo

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Ugh - stop kicking her in the face!

I jammed a piece of cardboard between the two seats until the younger, instigating child got over it.

I turned my dd back to rfing. That worked, but there came a point when she really didn't want to be rfing any more. I staggered the seats. (I know you can't do that, though, sorry.) What helped immensely, was a different seat and staggering seats. The true fit has big sides, so ds can't kick out of it very well. I tried the divider thing, but ds just knocked it over while dd3 screamed and cried about how he wasn't supposed to move the divider.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Quote Originally Posted by christineka View Post
    I tried the divider thing, but ds just knocked it over while dd3 screamed and cried about how he wasn't supposed to move the divider.

ha ha sounds like my kids. I had the same problem, but I dont HAVE to have them next to each other so I separated them. However, I did learn that having the right combination of seats helps. Mine are in radians and can reach each other easily, but I tried putting one in a myride and they couldn't see each other OR reach each other. And it fit perfectly next to a radian (both RF though).

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by christineka View Post
    I tried the divider thing, but ds just knocked it over while dd3 screamed and cried about how he wasn't supposed to move the divider.
    OMG that is hilarious! My kids would soooooo do that! Besides, I think they would be upset that they couldn't see eachother - then YDD would turn the other way and pick on DS

Is plexiglass ok?

I assume you can't move YDD's seat outboard and put baby center, with ODD in the other outboard? I would be a pain to put the carrier into the base, but maybe worth a shot until she got over this stage?
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMae View Post
    I assume you can't move YDD's seat outboard and put baby center, with ODD in the other outboard? I would be a pain to put the carrier into the base, but maybe worth a shot until she got over this stage?
    I wish! We had a really difficult time getting our 3 across as it is in our Rondo ... the way we have it is the only way they'll fit with 2 RF seats

Maybe I'll try the cardboard anyways and see how it goes - any tips for size and placement?

I am sorry!

One day ds will be ffing and dd will be rfing and he'll scream that she is kicking him and I will be laughing because it will be payback. Poor girl gets put through h3ll by him. He hits her w/ toys, etc. We have to take his shoes off in the car b/c even though there is space bw them he throws the shoes across the car at her if he can. When she falss asleep he yells "Wake UP! Wake UP Baubrey, WAKE UP!" and throws what he can at her. That really ticks me off and I will pull over.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

CPS Technician

I'd probably have just tied YDD's shoes together until she learned not to kick.

Quote Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
    i'd probably have just tied ydd's shoes together until she learned not to kick.

Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
    I'd probably have just tied YDD's shoes together until she learned not to kick.
    VERY tempting! I guess that would also solve the problem of her taking her shoes off and pitching them at her sister or up in the air! Might need some rigging with sandals though

Having naked feet doesn't help ... but it does annoy mommy when I have to try and find her shoes if I don't take them off first (and socks too in other seasons)!

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Is there a toy/playset she likes that has multiple (maybe 3) pieces? With A & C they like playing with small toys- small puppies, action figures, counting bears, whatever. If I want them to behave I will give them the toys, and make a deal that everytime they break a rule they are fined 1 toy. The toys serve as a constant reminder to behave as well as a reward for behaving. Might be worth a try?
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by CelticLabyrinth View Post
    Is there a toy/playset she likes that has multiple (maybe 3) pieces? With A & C they like playing with small toys- small puppies, action figures, counting bears, whatever. If I want them to behave I will give them the toys, and make a deal that everytime they break a rule they are fined 1 toy. The toys serve as a constant reminder to behave as well as a reward for behaving. Might be worth a try?
    Maybe I can think of something. Generally though, they trade toys back and forth and YDD loses interest really quickly! I'm sure they would all be lost in between the seats ... never to be found again

Besides, my fear is that DS will get ahold of one and choke on it Maybe I can try that now while he's still a little too young to put a toy into his mouth and hope that she outgrows this phase by then!

That's why my kids are no longer next to eachother in my DH's car. Now the two RFers are next to eachother

In my car it was captians seats so they couldn't reach eachother and now E's in the 3rd row so our new "problem" is E putting her feet in S's face (on top of the seat S's seat is installed on) and the oh so popular "STOP LOOKING AT ME EVEWYN! STOP BREATHING ON ME EVEWYN!!!"

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

Quote Originally Posted by fyrfightermomma View Post
    That's why my kids are no longer next to eachother in my DH's car. Now the two RFers are next to eachother

In my car it was captians seats so they couldn't reach eachother and now E's in the 3rd row so our new "problem" is E putting her feet in S's face (on top of the seat S's seat is installed on) and the oh so popular "STOP LOOKING AT ME EVEWYN! STOP BREATHING ON ME EVEWYN!!!"
    This is exactly why I lasted 2 months with 3 kids in the back of our car before begging dh for a minivan. Also it's why I always recommend a minivan when people are buying cars because their on their 3rd kiddo!
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cookie123 View Post
    This is exactly why I lasted 2 months with 3 kids in the back of our car before begging dh for a minivan. Also it's why I always recommend a minivan when people are buying cars because their on their 3rd kiddo!

I didn't want a minivan until the first time I had to install a 3-accross in my CRV. My head nearly blew off of my shoulders within the first ride.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

The sunshades made by Axius, they twist and fold into a circle. If the kids are having issues with one another, I take one of them (there are 2 for the windshield) and stuff it between the seats. Semi flexible, lightweight, outer trim holds its shape.
    Verla Renae~SAHM to my 5 babies!
    T - 09/02/01 D - 09/15/02 S - 05/28/05 C - 08/26/07 R - 11/22/08

At Walmart they sell these cheap $15 fold up dog kennels. They fold into a circle and I have the medium size one that holds dogs up to 60lbs. Anyways I cut it into 4 pieces to shove in between the seats. It holds it's shape, fits between seats nicely and most seats if you jam it between them good when the older child kicks they can't kick it hard enough to kick the rear facing child. Haven't had a single situation where it didn't work. BTW: It also works if you use the mesh part so they can see each other and to allow for air circulation in the summer time.

Looks like this folded up.

Looks like this between the seats (This isn't the one I cut up, but you can see where the mesh part would be in 2 of the sides when you do cut it up). This is between the pkwy sg and a radian.

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonMama View Post
    VERY tempting! I guess that would also solve the problem of her taking her shoes off and pitching them at her sister or up in the air! Might need some rigging with sandals though
    Zip ties.

You'll need to keep scissors on hand, though.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT