Ugh - stop kicking her in the face!

MarathonMama

Long story short, our 3 across leaves my ODD to fend for herself at the moment. She is outboard FF and YDD is RF centre. YDD's leg is the *perfect* length to kick ODD directly in the face!!!!

Has anyone had success in dealing with this behaviour. All we have right now is taking away her pacifier and telling ODD to try to block her foot. On rare occasions, we have told ODD to pinch YDD's foot (reaaallly rare, like when all 3 are screaming and we're an hour from home).

Please tell me she'll outgrow this behaviour! Moving them around is not an option!

ETA: we do try to distract and keep them busy with activities/toys, but it doesn't stop the initial unsuspected blow :eek:

ADS

Maedze

I jammed a piece of cardboard between the two seats until the younger, instigating child got over it.

christineka

I turned my dd back to rfing. That worked, but there came a point when she really didn't want to be rfing any more. I staggered the seats. (I know you can't do that, though, sorry.) What helped immensely, was a different seat and staggering seats. The true fit has big sides, so ds can't kick out of it very well. I tried the divider thing, but ds just knocked it over while dd3 screamed and cried about how he wasn't supposed to move the divider.

mamakc

I tried the divider thing, but ds just knocked it over while dd3 screamed and cried about how he wasn't supposed to move the divider.

ha ha sounds like my kids. I had the same problem, but I dont HAVE to have them next to each other so I separated them. However, I did learn that having the right combination of seats helps. Mine are in radians and can reach each other easily, but I tried putting one in a myride and they couldn't see each other OR reach each other. And it fit perfectly next to a radian (both RF though).

MarathonMama

I tried the divider thing, but ds just knocked it over while dd3 screamed and cried about how he wasn't supposed to move the divider.

OMG that is hilarious! My kids would soooooo do that! Besides, I think they would be upset that they couldn't see eachother - then YDD would turn the other way and pick on DS :rolleyes:

Is plexiglass ok? :whistle:

Mae

I assume you can't move YDD's seat outboard and put baby center, with ODD in the other outboard? I would be a pain to put the carrier into the base, but maybe worth a shot until she got over this stage?

MarathonMama

I assume you can't move YDD's seat outboard and put baby center, with ODD in the other outboard? I would be a pain to put the carrier into the base, but maybe worth a shot until she got over this stage?

I wish! We had a really difficult time getting our 3 across as it is in our Rondo ... the way we have it is the only way they'll fit with 2 RF seats :(

Maybe I'll try the cardboard anyways and see how it goes - any tips for size and placement?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I am sorry!

One day ds will be ffing and dd will be rfing and he'll scream that she is kicking him and I will be laughing because it will be payback. Poor girl gets put through h3ll by him. He hits her w/ toys, etc. We have to take his shoes off in the car b/c even though there is space bw them he throws the shoes across the car at her if he can. :( When she falss asleep he yells "Wake UP! Wake UP Baubrey, WAKE UP!" and throws what he can at her. That really ticks me off and I will pull over.

MarathonMama

I'd probably have just tied YDD's shoes together until she learned not to kick. :whistle:

:whistle: VERY tempting! I guess that would also solve the problem of her taking her shoes off and pitching them at her sister or up in the air! Might need some rigging with sandals though :whistle:

Having naked feet doesn't help ... but it does annoy mommy when I have to try and find her shoes if I don't take them off first (and socks too in other seasons)!

Evolily

Is there a toy/playset she likes that has multiple (maybe 3) pieces? With A & C they like playing with small toys- small puppies, action figures, counting bears, whatever. If I want them to behave I will give them the toys, and make a deal that everytime they break a rule they are fined 1 toy. The toys serve as a constant reminder to behave as well as a reward for behaving. Might be worth a try?

MarathonMama

Is there a toy/playset she likes that has multiple (maybe 3) pieces? With A & C they like playing with small toys- small puppies, action figures, counting bears, whatever. If I want them to behave I will give them the toys, and make a deal that everytime they break a rule they are fined 1 toy. The toys serve as a constant reminder to behave as well as a reward for behaving. Might be worth a try?

Maybe I can think of something. Generally though, they trade toys back and forth and YDD loses interest really quickly! I'm sure they would all be lost in between the seats ... never to be found again ;)

Besides, my fear is that DS will get ahold of one and choke on it :eek: Maybe I can try that now while he's still a little too young to put a toy into his mouth and hope that she outgrows this phase by then!

fyrfightermomma

That's why my kids are no longer next to eachother in my DH's car. Now the two RFers are next to eachother :)

In my car it was captians seats so they couldn't reach eachother and now E's in the 3rd row so our new "problem" is E putting her feet in S's face (on top of the seat S's seat is installed on) and the oh so popular "STOP LOOKING AT ME EVEWYN! STOP BREATHING ON ME EVEWYN!!!"

cookie123

That's why my kids are no longer next to eachother in my DH's car. Now the two RFers are next to eachother :)

In my car it was captians seats so they couldn't reach eachother and now E's in the 3rd row so our new "problem" is E putting her feet in S's face (on top of the seat S's seat is installed on) and the oh so popular "STOP LOOKING AT ME EVEWYN! STOP BREATHING ON ME EVEWYN!!!"

This is exactly why I lasted 2 months with 3 kids in the back of our car before begging dh for a minivan. Also it's why I always recommend a minivan when people are buying cars because their on their 3rd kiddo!

arly1983

This is exactly why I lasted 2 months with 3 kids in the back of our car before begging dh for a minivan. Also it's why I always recommend a minivan when people are buying cars because their on their 3rd kiddo!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I didn't want a minivan until the first time I had to install a 3-accross in my CRV. My head nearly blew off of my shoulders within the first ride.

skitle1802

The sunshades made by Axius, they twist and fold into a circle. If the kids are having issues with one another, I take one of them (there are 2 for the windshield) and stuff it between the seats. Semi flexible, lightweight, outer trim holds its shape.

steph_s

At Walmart they sell these cheap $15 fold up dog kennels. They fold into a circle and I have the medium size one that holds dogs up to 60lbs. Anyways I cut it into 4 pieces to shove in between the seats. It holds it's shape, fits between seats nicely and most seats if you jam it between them good when the older child kicks they can't kick it hard enough to kick the rear facing child. Haven't had a single situation where it didn't work. BTW: It also works if you use the mesh part so they can see each other and to allow for air circulation in the summer time.

Looks like this folded up.

Jan10057.jpg

Looks like this between the seats (This isn't the one I cut up, but you can see where the mesh part would be in 2 of the sides when you do cut it up). This is between the pkwy sg and a radian.
Jan10062.jpg

krasota

:whistle: VERY tempting! I guess that would also solve the problem of her taking her shoes off and pitching them at her sister or up in the air! Might need some rigging with sandals though :whistle:

Zip ties. :whistle:

You'll need to keep scissors on hand, though. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC