How you will know your 5 year-old isn't ready for a booster

msg221

I was looking at the photos of a friend's stepdaughter's kids on her Facebook page. I saw pictures of her three cute daughters so I was just scrolling through all of them and came across one that made me go: :eek:

Obviously, I can't post the photo here. If only I could, because you have to see it to believe it. It definitely screams "this child isn't ready for a booster seat." The caption below the photo said "So I get home and this is how E fell asleep in the car." Her daughter (age 5) was in a TB. She was completely turned around so that she was face first in the seat and had fallen asleep like this. Her head was just below the belt guides and turned to the side so the shoulder belt was then cutting across her temple and then behind her neck and then the lap belt was cutting across her back, above her waist. Her bottom was on the end of the seat (again, remember she is, NOT sitting in the seat, but more like laying in it, face down and head turned to the side) where her knees normally would be bent if she were sitting in it properly. Her feet appear to be on the floor of the car and from what I can see, her TB is sitting on a captain's chair, so maybe this is in a minivan. Yes, your first reaction is to laugh because it's unbelievable that this child actually fell asleep like this but then it is frightening to think of what could have happened if there has been an accident. And then to think that mom didn't notice until she went to get her out of the car.

One of mom's friends comment made me laugh: "How Brittany Spears of you, C! Something tells me she's still too little for a booster..." Mom replies "she's five." Someone else commented about how is it that she didn't hear anything such as her daughter struggling and wiggling in the seat to get herself into this position and did she have the music turned up too loud and she replied that there was no music on and she was just glad that the child had stopped whining about feeling tired and that "usually she adjusts the seatbelt and turns sideways in her seat." :eek:

Now I completely understand the need for booster training and just how vigilant you have to be if you do have kids in a booster! And how I would have no problem just keeping kids harnessed for a long, long time!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

wow... I mean, some of that could have been done in her sleep, indicating it simply isn't the right booster, as one with more supportive wings would have hopefully prevented her moving in her sleep to get head support... but I still have to think that there is no way that she would move to THAT extent if she'd been properly trained to sit with her legs bent over the edge or crossed... properly.

I'd try a friendly message "ooh, that didn't look comfortable... and I'd hate to see her like that in a crash... can I give you some tips?"... if she's responsive, go from there.

Qarin

I am actually going to hazard that this is not a case, necessarily, of lack of booster readiness in the child, but actually a lack of seatbelt/safety understanding of the parent.

"usually she adjusts the seatbelt and turns sideways in her seat."

This is learned behavior, and likely something that the parent suggested to her to do- probably something the parent has done all her life, too.

Evolily

I am actually going to hazard that this is not a case, necessarily, of lack of booster readiness in the child, but actually a lack of seatbelt/safety understanding of the parent.

:yeahthat:

I've seen teens and adults who do crazy stuff in vehicles. For a 5 year old, it simply involves adjusting the seat right, explaining to the child they need to sit like that, pulling over/correcting when they move out of place, etc. Not that extremely difficult!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC