Baby Jogger City Micro Double - A Review w/ Lots of Pics!

Mags462

When i was searching the internet i had major problems finding a decent review of this stroller. Very frustrating. $200 isn't small change and i wanted to SEE what i was buying.... so i thought i would put this up in hopes it helps any other mama's out there who are considering this stroller!

Here it is folded:
DSC00946-1.jpg

For reference sake it takes up half of the cargo space lengthwise in my Sienna. I can fit two gallons of milk in front of it.... so it's very narrow width wise. And it "Stands" on it's own pretty well. I can pick it up and set it down and it doesn't fall over. It's not designed to be self standing when folded but it seems to for me.

Here it is completely open and riderless:
DSC00956.jpg

The Canopies:
DSC00949.jpg

They are more than adequate IMO for most things. It seems that the Mini owners are very loyal to their larger canopies and since i have never owned anything but a Graco and a BabyTrend these "smaller" canopies seem HUGE in comparison. :)

The Recline:
Side
DSC00953.jpg

Front
DSC00954.jpg

I actually like that it doesn't lie completely flat.... my kids like sleeping upright and it's just sloped enough to be "lazy-boy like" :p My 6mo old who isn't in these pictures uses this with no problems.

The Back:
DSC00947.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

As you can see the basket underneath is a joke. It's pretty much the only thing i really don't like about it.... but it has the awesome mesh bags on the back of each seat so i have yet to even need to store anything on the bottom. If i were going to be packing heavy for a day trip or something i would just put the larger items i wouldn't need frequently on the bottom. But just be warned the basket is small and very hard to get to.

Tall child fit:
Completely Upright
DSC00951.jpg

Reclined
DSC00952.jpg

My DS is 4.5yr and just over 4ft tall. He fits with room to grow. In the mini he didn't like having most of his head in the canopy space. You can see that he has a few inches before this is the case in the Micro. It's the #1 reason i chose the Micro over the Mini. I do not regret doing so. DS is a rider.... he'll ride until he's going to college if i let him I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Front View w/ Riders:
DSC00950.jpg

My DS2 is 2.5 and short for his age. He will fit for a long time to come. Combined they weigh roughly 62lbs.... and this thing pushes like there is NOTHING in there. I was shocked. No straining to turn, no hefty it up hills, it just glides. It's so easy to push my 4.5yr old will push it w/ his younger brother in it when i let him. He controls it completely w/out my helps which is saying a lot because he is not the strongest kid on the block!

It has fit down every aisle i have tried.... including aisles at Hobby Lobby full of boxes for stocking.... i thought i wouldn't get by, but nope, it fit just fine! :thumbsup:

The fold on this baby is AMAZING.... all Baby Joggers have the same fold and there are plenty of videos on YouTube for your viewing pleasure.... but if you have ever dealt w/ a clumsy Graco in a hot parking lot while trying not to curse as you arrange wheels and flatten baskets so it will allow you to clip it you will LOVE this feature. Words cannot express how i :love: this fold. I will never go back to a traditional fold stroller. Even a Mac... this fold beats it any day. It doesn't have a clip to keep it closed once folded, but i haven't had any issues with it "popping" open as i move it around. But you should know that if you want to travel with it you'll need a clip of some sort of keep it closed.

It weighs 26lbs and is a little heavier than i was expecting, but it's nothing compared to the stroller i sold. The frame on this is SOLID... you can just tell it's quality.

So.... here is a short list of my likes and dislikes:

Loves:
The Fold
The Tall Seat Backs
The EASY Push
The Recline adjustment (cinch clips on the back - no more stupid brackets to break!)
The Mesh Storage on Back

Dislikes:
Storage Basket Underneath
No Adult Cup holder (easily solved w/ $10 cup holders from BRU)

They aren't making these anymore.... so once retailers sell out they will be gone. I love mine and plan to get a single in the near future to have for when we no longer need a double. I LOVE my micro!

ADS

MySillyKids

Wowie! I like it!

Having a BJCMD myself, the canopies aren't as horrid as i thought they were!

Thanks for this. It's AWESOME!

Heres the BJCMD canopies, if anyone wants to compare:

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

(i'm trying to find the pic of my stroller frame, by it's self.

kidnurse

Thank you, I ordered one of these a couple of days ago and am waiting for it to get here. I don't know why, but diapers.com has sent me two e-mails now telling me that delivery will be later than expected. I hadn't even thought about it before, but can you use the same accessories with the mini and the micro? I have a single mini now. When my son was young and we lived in Phoenix I really wanted the bigger canopy, but it is not such a big deal now as he only opens it up anyway so he can see. :)

ntrenary

weird how the micro has more head room than the mini when everything else about the micro is smaller.
I have a mini I bought it because of the bigger sunshade, my DS loves to 'hide' in it.

New grandma

Thanks for the review.

I bought the double micro in kiwi a few weeks ago to use when grand baby #2 arrives. I won't use it until spring when baby will be about 6 months, so I'm glad to hear it works with a 6 month old. Do you have a picture with the baby?

By the way, there is a strap under the left front leg that velcros around to hold the stroller closed. I have it strapped to keep it upright in my closet right now.

I also am thinking of grabbing a single while they are available. Can't beat the $99 at Albee!

Mags462

Wowie! I like it!

Having a BJCMD myself, the canopies aren't as horrid as i thought they were!

Thanks for this. It's AWESOME!

Heres the BJCMD canopies, if anyone wants to compare:

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

(i'm trying to find the pic of my stroller frame, by it's self.

It looks like to me that the Micro canopy is the same as the Mini sans the third part. Because the top two sections of the canopy on the Mini look identical to the Micro canopy.

Thank you, I ordered one of these a couple of days ago and am waiting for it to get here. I don't know why, but diapers.com has sent me two e-mails now telling me that delivery will be later than expected. I hadn't even thought about it before, but can you use the same accessories with the mini and the micro? I have a single mini now. When my son was young and we lived in Phoenix I really wanted the bigger canopy, but it is not such a big deal now as he only opens it up anyway so he can see. :)

Yep.... all the Mini accessories will fit the Micro. :)

Thanks for the review.

I bought the double micro in kiwi a few weeks ago to use when grand baby #2 arrives. I won't use it until spring when baby will be about 6 months, so I'm glad to hear it works with a 6 month old. Do you have a picture with the baby?

By the way, there is a strap under the left front leg that velcros around to hold the stroller closed. I have it strapped to keep it upright in my closet right now.

I also am thinking of grabbing a single while they are available. Can't beat the $99 at Albee!

I will get a picture of the baby ASAP.... he's pretty small for his age (7mo 15lbs) so it'll probably be like throwing an averaged sized 3 or 4 month old in there! :thumbsup:

Kegracin

Can you tell me how it does on grass or that kind of surface? I currently have a graco duo glide that I use for walking 2 miles most days on un-even sidewalks and hopefully soon we can try the bike paths. The graco was bought used and I really want to up grade as its just starting to drive me nuts. I keep looking at the micro but can decide if it would work for our walks or if I should suck it up and save for a different baby city double. I'm going to need a double for a while for walks as my LO's are 5 months and 17 months.

ctbcleveland

Hey - just as tip, I find it easier to get things in and out of the basket from the side, rather than from the back.

Your side angle picture shows the spot - sort of underneat the butt area, closer to their legs - it is decent opening where you can slide things in and out.

kidnurse

I think almost anything would be easier than a DuoGlider for any off road walking, but one thing I look at when looking to go off road is the front wheels. Are they single or double? How rough is the terrain you are traveling? If it is really rough and rocky then single front wheels help, double wheels can get rocks stuck in between the two wheels. If it is hard packed gravel, or just bumpy grass, I bet you would like the BJCMD a lot. :twocents:

Kegracin

I think almost anything would be easier than a DuoGlider for any off road walking, but one thing I look at when looking to go off road is the front wheels. Are they single or double? How rough is the terrain you are traveling? If it is really rough and rocky then single front wheels help, double wheels can get rocks stuck in between the two wheels. If it is hard packed gravel, or just bumpy grass, I bet you would like the BJCMD a lot. :twocents:

Thanks, I'm going to have to drive out to the buy buy baby and take a look at them in person. I'd really like the elite but I just don't know that I like the price tag.

MySillyKids

Thanks, I'm going to have to drive out to the buy buy baby and take a look at them in person. I'd really like the elite but I just don't know that I like the price tag.

Call before you go.

We were just at Buy, buy, baby, and they didn't have any of the micro's in stock!

Ltaylor

Thanks for the review. Im sriously impressed with the Micro so far.

Im looking into it (the single not double) for the exact reason you posted about the hot parking lot and the fold, plus my beloved Valco iesnt the best mall/shopping stroller.

I wish it had a better basket but I use a VB large backpack so I can just toss it on my back with the stuff that we wont need immediatly and use the pocket thing on the seat back for things I need quick easy access to.

To the PP that asked about the Mini accessories working on the Micro, yes they should all work. Im going to get the kid snack tray for it.

Dorothy

Great review. Thanks. Am currently trying to decide between the micro double and Joovy Choose Ultralight 2010. We will need to traverse grass, gravel, sidewalks and indoors (mall, Target, etc.). Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Rosey

Great review. Thanks. Am currently trying to decide between the micro double and Joovy Choose Ultralight 2010. We will need to traverse grass, gravel, sidewalks and indoors (mall, Target, etc.). Any thoughts?

My sis has the Joovy Caboose Ergo and the thing is a limo. Folded it takes up the back of her explorer with the 3rd row down. She likes it and has a large 4 year old so it fits her needs, but she would have gone with a BJCM or micro had her older daughter been younger or smaller.

Dorothy

My oldest is 21" seated, 36" standing, and not quite 30 lbs. There is a great video review of the Joovy Caboose Ultralight 2010 from Baby Gizmo online, which said the canopy will accommodate a tall child (I can't remember the exact measurement). But I like the compactness of the BJCMD, for sure.

Lemonade

I LOVE my Caboose Ultra for malls, Target, etc. But it's not the best on grass. Similarly, I don't think the micro would be much better. I think you'd need to go up to something like the elite to be *really* decent on grass. I've been contemplating getting something better on grass....

Dorothy

I had wanted to get an InStep jogging stroller, but they have a 38" height limit. I emailed joggingstrollers.com for suggestions, but they said they didn't have any to fit my modest budget - $200. I have an all-terrain wagon the oldest can ride in off-road while I carry the little one in a carrier. I guess what I need is a convenient "about town" stroller that will last us at least a couple of years. That seems to be the main advantage I see with the JCUL10 OVER THE BJCMD. I know I won't be happy with a cheapie double umbrella, because my single was a Chicco Cortina.

Mags462

I sold my sit and stand to save for one of these.... and i could not be happier. I test drove the Joovy and the BabyTrend versions and noticed little difference as far as function and steering went so 18months ago i bought a Baby Trend. HATED IT.... seriously did not like it. Not initially... it worked as well as any other stroller (all "wal-mart" or "target" varieties) until i had my 3rd baby. Then my 4yr old wanted to sit, and the baby needed to be in the bucket in the front w/ my 2yr old walking.... it stunk! :thumbsdown: So hard to steer, impossible to push, and i thought many many bad words trying to get the thing folded from day one.

I just like the maneuvering of a side by side.... the front to back strollers are like steering a Cadillac - wide turns! I am not impressed by the Joovy features for what they charge and i certainly would not place it in the same quality category as a Mac or a BJ.... i just dislike them.

So i am biased, because i :love: my micro so much - but i wouldn't buy another sit n' stand if someone paid me! :p

Oh yes and the Micro has done very well on grass - that isn't typical terrain for me but the two times i needed to cut across some it had zero issues getting it across....

*Working on pics of this w/ my baby in it for you guys to see*

Mags462

I had wanted to get an InStep jogging stroller, but they have a 38" height limit. I emailed joggingstrollers.com for suggestions, but they said they didn't have any to fit my modest budget - $200. I have an all-terrain wagon the oldest can ride in off-road while I carry the little one in a carrier. I guess what I need is a convenient "about town" stroller that will last us at least a couple of years. That seems to be the main advantage I see with the JCUL10 OVER THE BJCMD. I know I won't be happy with a cheapie double umbrella, because my single was a Chicco Cortina.

As far as how long each will last that depends entirely upon the sitting/walking habits of your child. My 4yr old is a sitter, always has been, and he isn't much for freedom. He is anxious in groups and likes the security of riding on a stroller. My 2yr old wants all the freedom i will let him have - so he walks next to the stroller most of the time. The front seats on most sit n' stands leave a lot to be desired (including Joovy!) and i can't see a child more than 18months sitting in one for any sort of time. It just looks downright un-comfie. The height on the Micro will last most children for a LONG time - my 4yr old is 95% in height and still has plenty of room. The BJ quality is top notch, and i will admit the frame on the Joovy does seem sturdy so as far as frame strength i cannot say one has an advantage over another. :)

If you buy a Micro from Diapers.com you can return it for free.... Just in case you really don't like it. ;)

Rosey

The Joovy Ergo Caboose has rear air tires making it drive really well all terrain even one handed plus the infant bucket goes in the rear. Heavier than the ultralight. The regular caboose is crappy imo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC