A preemie comparison--SR, KF, MR, RN, pic heavy*

zeo2ski

First off, she's barely preterm at 36.5 weeks but was swimming in the SR22 at 5lbs 15oz and 20.5". DH had to run out and buy the Keyfit 30, which means he was stuck with the color and price on the shelf at BRU, 2 hours away! Anyway here's Hannah Grace modeling for ya:
1 day old, 5lb15oz SR. It was hard to get a picture, but the straps were incredibly loose--I didn't expect that, I was concerned about shoulder height. Of course the crotch strap was about a mile too far out--she stuck her feet through it, but a rolled prefold filled that gap, just doesn't fix the harness problem! The straps were also above her shoulders. BTW the loose straps would be totally fixed if they'd use a shorter crotch strap. See the sag in that? It made it so you could lift the whoe harness a couple inches off her body.
familypics--Hannahsbirth092.jpg

KF same day, awesome fit but had to remove the head support to keep her chin up. Crotch still needs a washcloth or to wear a big enough cloth diaper. (BTW all these pics are done in a disposable, but the day1 pics are a size 1 folded in half in front, the 2 weeks ones are preemie size, not folded)
familypics--Hannahsbirth141.jpg

The rest of these are taken at 2 weeks old, about 6.5 lbs:
SR fit has improved a lot, still not perfect but I MAY have considered using it like that...but only if money was real tight I think.
familypics--Hannahsbirth245.jpg

KF again--I still can't use the head support with her, and now at 3 weeks I moved the straps up to the 2nd slots. They're slightly above her shoulders, but the bottom slot was pretty far below. (This pic is 1st slots, 2 weeks, headrest was in for pics only, I don't use it because it pushes her head too far forward IMO)
familypics--Hannahsbirth248.jpg

My Ride-- This fit better than the Snugride! I actually wish I'd tried it at the hospital, but there was only time for DH to make one trip (hospital is an hour from the house, BRU an hour the other way).
familypics--Hannahsbirth229.jpg

Radian XT--very disappointed in this one. Look how loose the straps are! And this was 6.5 lbs as well (though she is 20% for weight, 75% height, so that 6.5 lbs is spread out...she's very narrow).
familypics--Hannahsbirth240.jpg

familypics--Hannahsbirth239.jpg

straps above her shoulders; the allen key is throgh the shell slot, my finger is holding down her sleeper, not pushing the shoulder down at all.
familypics--Hannahsbirth241.jpg

Overall, KF is best (of these seats) followed by MR, then SR.

ADS

zactayaus

I just wanted to say how beautiful she is.:love: She is just precious and I thoroughly enjoyed all the pics of her newborn squishiness.:p

urchin_grey

Oh wow. Bram was full term but under 6lbs upon discharge as well and he fit perfect in his SR. He was only 17in though so his weight wasn't quite so spread out. :p

AtTheSouthDam

So cute!

DD1 was term, barely and weighed less than that coming home! (5# 15 oz at birth and 5# 5oz coming home). She came home in the snugride only because we had no other choice. It fit terribly so we tried not to go anywhere :(

If I were having any more kids it is good know my babes won't fit in the RN ;)

zeo2ski

I just wanted to say how beautiful she is.:love: She is just precious and I thoroughly enjoyed all the pics of her newborn squishiness.:p
Thanks, we agree:love: she's so sweet!
Oh wow. Bram was full term but under 6lbs upon discharge as well and he fit perfect in his SR. He was only 17in though so his weight wasn't quite so spread out. :p

Yeah I was really surprised how loose the straps were--DS2 was 36 weeks but 7lb7oz. He was shorter at 19" and the straps were a tad above his shoulders, but the harness was plenty tight enough. I really think if she was wider in the hips/belly it'd take up a bit of the slack. It's very interesting how a different stature can change the fit so much.

zeo2ski

I look at her and think "she's grown so much already" and then I realize she's still smaller than my boys were at birth!

She's adorable! I love the pattern on your snugride but its scary for a carseat fit!

That's "Devon". It honestly looked so much worse in person (the fit).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC