I'm a CPST!!!!

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I passed!!! Now I can officially wear my CPST crown and do my sacrifical CPST dance :D

Unofficially I got a 99%. Only question I got wrong was that stinky station wagon question with rear facing and jump seats. I wanted to pick surprise option E and tell the hypothetical parents to get a more child friendly car :p

So a little aside- have any "civillians" (that's what i had to mark on my evaluation @@) participated in a car seat check? I want to, but here the police are like 90% of the car seat installers and they're super nice, but I just don't fit in with them. I do want to participate, but I don't want to be the only non police department/fire department installing a car seat. I have no problem helping out, I just have a really big anxiety problem with hanging out with people I don't know. :eek:

ADS

JaRylan

Congratulations! That is great news and way to go on the high score. Were any of the other people in your class civilians and do any of them live near you? Maybe you could agree to buddy up at the next car seat check, I bet they would appreciate it as well. Or another way to look at it would be: What if it wasn't a bunch of police and fire fighters manning the check...rather it was a bunch of certfied civilians that you didn't know? Or what if you imagined everyone else in their underwear? Okay...getting a little loopy and tired...hope I made you smile. Some people might actually be less intimidated having their car seats checked by a civilian mom rather than an officer...maybe you'll help someone else's anxiety. :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
THAT'S GREAT :)

If you could do a check that would be great! I would rather have a carseat fanatic installing my seat because they WANT to then the fire/police who do it as part of their jobs (well at least in our town).

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Congrats!!!! Good score, too...

BTW, a local officer who has been holding seatchecks on his own time by himself seemed very excited that I wanted to help him. I'd call and ask around - I bet someone would like to have some help. :)

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Out of the entire class. I was the only non police/fire fighter. We had like 20 police officers 1 firefighter annnndd little ol' me in the back of the classroom. The concerned nurse who gets to take care of the crash victims post crash. The one who gets to oversee their rehab and gets to see what recovery is like in some of these instances. I kept joking around that at least I feel safe b/c 95% of the class were carrying around guns and had the ability to stop traffic for me so i could get to my car after class ended.

I understand a moms point of view rather having a "fanatical" car seat tech installing but even the teacher of the course said that I was the 1st person to go through his program (he's been teaching for 8 years now) that wasn't in law enforcement or fire science. Great :eek: Just great.

And just maybe i'll envision them all in their undies :p Some i'd love to envision a little more than others ;)

JaRylan

Out of the entire class. I was the only non police/fire fighter. We had like 20 police officers 1 firefighter annnndd little ol' me in the back of the classroom. The concerned nurse who gets to take care of the crash victims post crash. The one who gets to oversee their rehab and gets to see what recovery is like in some of these instances. I kept joking around that at least I feel safe b/c 95% of the class were carrying around guns and had the ability to stop traffic for me so i could get to my car after class ended.

I understand a moms point of view rather having a "fanatical" car seat tech installing but even the teacher of the course said that I was the 1st person to go through his program (he's been teaching for 8 years now) that wasn't in law enforcement or fire science. Great :eek: Just great.

And just maybe i'll envision them all in their undies :p Some i'd love to envision a little more than others ;)

That's the spirit! Hmmm...or mmmmm, I wonder who will be in my class when I take it???

JaRylan

Did you find out about a class???? I've been wondering if you found anything out, just haven't gotten around to asking :)

No, not yet. I emailed and then the email link wasn't working and then we got sick...excuses, excuses.

scatterbunny

Congratulations!!! :D

When I tried to do the class last year, I was also the only person out of 20+ people there on a volunteer basis. Everyone else was there due to their jobs.

This year I think my class only has 12 people so I think it will be a little less overwhelming for me. Hopefully the instructor is better than last year's. :rolleyes:

bbartlettnfld

CONGRATS!!!

The best Carseat Check was wayyyy back in October of 2003 (my first one) It was me (full figured woman) and a 6'2 about 250lbs cop leaning in the back seat of a tiny ford fiesta (2 door) with mom and baby looking on when suddenly it started to pour down rain all of us jumped into the car... It was sooo funny! The pictures ended up in the local paper!

I really enjoy working with cops.. Plus it tends to cut down on the grief you take from parents (often dads) who think they know more than you!

BethAnn

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Congratulations! I was the only person in my class of about 25 that wasn't there because their job made them. Most of the people in my class were EMSA. Had a couple police, health dept and hospital workers. The only other people there own an auto body shop and they took the class as a way to get more business. :confused:

I've already been asked to do a seat check for the foster parent association, but honestly don't want to work w/the fire dept techs, because quite frankly, they suck. :(

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I was the only person in my class there voluntarily too. It was kind of strange...but oh well!

I contacted the Safe Kids coordinator in my area and asked her to let me know of checks that I could volunteer at. I only got to do a couple before I moved out of state, but I loved it. If you go to ones that aren't specifically "Fire Dept" sponsored or whatever, it's no big deal. I helped at ones held at the hospital hosted by Safe Kids.

I've already gotten in touch with the Safe Kids in my new area and am getting geared up for checks.

broken4u05

I have been looking for a class for me to take as well. I emailed the person and she said she will do one on the weekends in a few months but it is not on the website yet. But great beggingings has checks done by her on weds so i am going to go talk to her and say i really really want to take the class.
Good job you did really really well

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Congratulations!!!

I'm usually the only non-professional at our seat checks. Sometimes I beg a tech friend to come down and check with me- she's about an hour away. Or vice versa and she begs me. We usually just stick to each other. After a few checks you get used to it. Just know YOU know what you're doing. That way they can't beat you down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC