Would you get a Frontier 85?

a_js

Sorry, I know I just posted yesterday about boosters, but I'm now rethinking it.

DS is 47" tall, 46 pounds clothed, and narrow. He hasn't gained any weight in quite a while. He's so active he burns off everything he eats. He's so narrow in the shoulders I am wondering if he might not be better off in a harness. If he sits in position in the Vivo, he fits quite well. If he moves just a little, though, and even in the Vivo he can shift about an inch, the belt fit isn't great. And, unfortunately, he isn't 100% on sitting perfectly straight.

In this case, WWYD? I wish the Nautilus was still an option, but he's even with the top slots.

Thanks for input.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What happens if you put the headrest down a notch, does that help?

I'd probably play with the booster first, see if I could make it so that inch didn't matter, before I bought a Frontier 85.

Wendy

a_js

If I put the headrest down a notch it makes the belt farther out on his shoulder; I actually just moved it up, partly for that reason and partly because it positions the head wings better around his head.

He seems to have inherited my father's exact body shape--height is all in the torso, narrow shoulders, and not enough body fat to float. :rolleyes:

Morganthe

I'd try him in a Monterey. I think it would fit him quite well.

I wouldn't go for a Frontier, but that's because I massively disliked the set up + the tilt of the harnessed version of the previous model for a taller child. Never tested out the booster. But it's a heavy seat. Difficult for me to maneuver around and I easily handle my dd's Regent.

Anyway, Monterey would be my suggestion. Definitely easier on the budget than a Frontier. :duck:

Lulu

I'd try him in a Monterey. I think it would fit him quite well.

I wouldn't go for a Frontier, but that's because I massively disliked the set up + the tilt of the harnessed version of the previous model for a taller child. Never tested out the booster. But it's a heavy seat. Difficult for me to maneuver around and I easily handle my dd's Regent.

Anyway, Monterey would be my suggestion. Definitely easier on the budget than a Frontier. :duck:

I have the exact opposite experience. :) I have an almost 49 inch DS harnessed in a fr85, and I love how this seat fits, installs, etc. I have no trouble maneuvering it. I have a lot of trouble with my Regent. I'd drop-kick the thing if it wouldn't break my foot!

@OP: I probably would try hard to find the right booster at your son's age as well. I'd normally highly recommend the 85, and I'd definitely get it if you think you can't be comfortable boostering, but it looks like it would be way more seat than you need. If your next child was going to be closer in age, I'd say go for it and pass it down in a year or two. But who knows what amazing and more affordable seats will be available when you want to ff your baby.

Last edited:

Evolily

I would look at a different booster. Maybe go to a few stores and try them out in your car :) . Good luck!

cryway903

I have a 7 yo 47 lb 47 inches harnesses in a frontier. I wouldn't think of putting her in anything else. She will be in harness to Max height/weight. I love the frontier. It is big and heavy and more difficult to install then most britax but once you've done it once or twice its not so hard. And I wouldn't expect a seat that harnesses to 80 lbs to be light. At your sons size he should have lots of years left in a frontier and if there's any doubt to his ability to sit in a booster it would definatly be a good thing. So yes, I would (I did) buy a frontier.

all together ooky

How tall is his torso? I only ask because my daughter is about 47" and 49-50lbs and has almost outgrown the harness (in the old Frontier). Granted, she has a long torso. I switched her to booster mode recently and it fit okay, but it sounds like your son (a little wide-I was worried about her rolling out of the shoulder belt). I ended up moving her to a Vivo and it fits better on her shoulder. If I were you I'd try him out in different boosters. Have you tried a Turbo Booster?

a_js

His torso is 18". I do have a Turbo, I would like something with a little more side impact/head protection.. a little beefier, kwim? :) And yeah.. he does have trouble sitting still sometimes.

Edit to add: It will be at least a few years before newbaby is ready to FF, and I hope longer, so I haven't actually thought that far yet..

a_js

I am not sure as I don't have the two to compare, but I believe the PB sits low to the seat like the Vivo does and that doesn't work with the seatbelt in my car (the belt is fastened up high on the wall of the car, and gets hung up in the belt guide of the booster). The Turbo does work in my car, and sits a good few inches higher on the seat than the Vivo. I didn't realize it would make that much difference until I tried both out, but it really does. Because I am a nerd, I then went and looked at the Vivo in dh's car, and the seatbelt placement on the car wall is way, way closer to the booster belt path than in my car. So I'm pretty sure that is the issue..

I may try the Parkway SG and see how that goes; not sure yet.

essnce629

Well, my DS1 is 10 months older than your son, 49" tall, and about 52lbs and I just sold our original FR a few months ago so I could get a FR85! We also have a Regent that he rides in full time. He likes both seats.

We also bought a ProBooster last week for him to use at camp and it was too narrow for his shoulders and he complained of being "squished" so I'm returning it. We went out and tried the Monterey in person and he loved it and the shoulder area can be adjusted wider which is perfect. We also tried the Parkway, but he didn't like that either. So now we have a FR85, Regent, and Monterey!

I'd definately recommend trying out all the seats in person if you can. I bought the ProBooster sight unseen and shouldn't have.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC