Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

What will Fit...

Here is our problem.

We had twins 1 year ago and are due to have a 3rd in a couple months. We have 3 of the Graco 32 pound seats and are trying to find a car or van that will fit 3 across one of the rows.

If we have to we will buy new seats that are narrower than the ones we have, we will. We were going to buy a Passat wagon last night but we need about 3 more inches for them to fit in right and not hit the doors.

What do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: What will Fit...

to be honest i don't think you are going to fit three of those across in anything, can you consider buying a narrow convertible to continue to RF the older babies and use one of the 32's for the new baby?
    Radian's perhaps?

OR

buy a mini van (which from experience you will be glad to have with three so close, double stroller + a single)
    and put them in separate rows. Although you will need convertibles for the older children in the near future anyawy

here is a link to the 3 across thread, not quite sure what vehicle might fit 3 infant carrier seats RF.
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

How big are the twins? height and weight? Do you plan to keep them in the carriers or are you ready to put them into a RF convertible?

they are both about 15-20lbs I dont know how tall. But, we dont use the seats as carriers anymore we put them in and take them out.

Carseat Crazy

I have a Jetta wagon and it is a little narrower and shorter than a Passat Wagon. I will be doing a 3 across come September with 3 rear facing seats and I done 3 across transport my friend's dd before. You could make the passat work if that is what you want you just need different seats. The twins will need covertables eventually anyway. I would maybe get a radian or two. Definately get one go in the center rear facing. You can also get something that puzzles well with a radian like a complete air or a britax RA50. The britax doesn't take up too much front to back space so you could get that behind the driver maybe. Then maybe one of the buckets would fit in the other position or you can get a narrower bucket. A coccoro also would work really well for the newborn behind either the driver or passenger who ever needs more room.

The toyota sienna, 8 passenger version can fit nearly anything 3 across. I currently have: a regent, rfing true fit, and a rfing radian across my middle row. You can make the middle seats go forward and backward. By staggering the seats, you have room for overlap.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Seriously, if you are getting a new vehicle anyway and you'll have 3 kids, go for a minivan. It may seem extreme now, buy later you'll thank me. I'd strongly consider the Sienna 8 passenger simply because you can do 3 in the 2nd row if you want.

My daughter puts her older 2 in the back, leaves out the passenger side captains chair for easy access, and the baby goes behind the driver. This works out great. Of course the older 2 are forward facing.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Carseat Crazy

Wouldn't she have to get the older version Sienna, not the 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by tweetykl View Post
    yes they no longer make an 8 passenger I wanted to cry when I heard that!

There will no longer be an 8 seat van except the worthless (IMO) 8th seat in the Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by tweetykl View Post
    The 2011 Sienna also has fewer tether anchors/LATCH positions than the previous years.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Well, the sienna still has an 8th seat, but it is useless like the older generation odyssey. ANd yes, there are now only 3 full sets of latch.

But, the new 2011 odyssey is rumored to have a bigger 8th seat, with latch, and stowable. There is a thread in the car safety section.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown