Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

A lot of changes to the Scenera -- Pic heavy

I bought a new Scenera today () with a DOM of 3/25/2010 and I have my old one, too -- DOM of 7/26/2007

- Different splitter plate, which now causes bunching
    - Different chest clips
    - Different stickers (and different locations)
    - And of course, they fixed the problem with the spikes snagging the harness

Pictures, of course.

The new splitter plate is smaller than the older. New (2010 DOM) on left, old (2007 DOM) on right.

The bunching it causes... New (2010 DOM) on left, old (2007 DOM) on right.

New (2010 DOM) on bottom, old (2007 DOM) on top.

You can see here that they slightly moved where the FF sticker is. New (2010 DOM) on left, old (2007 DOM) on right.

And here you can see how they changed the outline of the sticker. The older one was more organized; it had a new bullet for every statement. Now it's just one big paragraph (harder for a parent to read, IMO). New (2010 DOM) on left, old (2007 DOM) on right.

Here you can see they changed the RF sticker. It used to have lines to "level" to the ground, now the lines are gone and just the hard plastic is there. So I guess the hard plastic is supposed to be the guide to get a level recline? New (2010 DOM) on left, old (2007 DOM) on right.

And like I said, they obviously fixed the issue with the Spikes. New (2010 DOM) on left, old (2007 DOM) on right.

Last edited by Mae; 09-09-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Fixing links to Pictures
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: A lot of changes to the Scenera -- Pic heavy

Yeah, my sister's 09 DOM had that newer chest clip. I'm not sure about the shell because the seat was wrecked.... She put the newer cover on her older one though.

I'm not concerned about the loops bunching on the splitter plate though. The one on the Radian is even more bunched.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

I was so hoping to see some EPP foam.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

5. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
    I'm not concerned about the loops bunching on the splitter plate though. The one on the Radian is even more bunched.
    I'm not too worried either, it's just a bit easier to get the harness onto the older style. I guess since it's a little harder with the newer ones, they won't fall off? Maybe that's their thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    I was so hoping to see some EPP foam.
    Nope. I wish!

Are the slot heights the same? I'm just curious. My mom has 2 sceneras and one seems to have higher slots. Only by like 1/2" or something, but it's a big difference when you're trying to squeak a little more time out of one.
    Jessica, with my girlies, Emma-8 years, in a Livia PWSG , Mattie-6 years, in a butterfly turbo booster and Lilly-3 1/2 years, FFing in a Cranberry True Fit and Norah, noob riding in a mickey mouse SR22.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyofbirth View Post
    Are the slot heights the same? I'm just curious. My mom has 2 sceneras and one seems to have higher slots. Only by like 1/2" or something, but it's a big difference when you're trying to squeak a little more time out of one.
    Yep, they're the same, unfortunately.

New on left, Old on right.

Last edited by Mae; 09-09-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Fixing links to pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Joyofbirth View Post
    I was wondering that too. My sister had 2, one with probably a late '07 to early '08 DOM and then one with a mid '09 DOM. The '09 DOM was wrecked (unoccupied at the time) so she had to use the older one. And I swear, it seemed like he had less shell over his head in the older one. So either they were different, or he had a serious growth spurt over the course of like a week.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

Great comparison photos! I really like that they have made some nice changes.
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

It says I have to spread the rep around before voting for you again .

Anyway, innnnteresting... maybe gives me an excuse to throw my 2007 out and not feel guilty? No, no, I use it for the dogs sometimes (RF, of course, leash tied to the harness, they aren't heavy enough to FF, hehe).

Bummer about the label being less clear, but yay no more spikes. I bet they took a lesson from the Frontier recall about having a harness yoke that's too easy to get the straps on and off and modified theirs before it was ever a concern.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    It says I have to spread the rep around before voting for you again .

I bet they took a lesson from the Frontier recall about having a harness yoke that's too easy to get the straps on and off and modified theirs before it was ever a concern.
    Ah, man! Jools rep is the best!

And yeah, that's my thoughts as well. The older ones definately slip on easier than the new.

It also seems that the new covers have more padding, but perhaps that's just because my other cover is... well, old. It seems thicker though.

I the new chest clips!! A daycare child at my son's daycare who use to always have a belly clip now has a chest clip in the proper position because of the new chest clip! Mom had an older style scenera and o darn the child spilled something nasty on it and it wouldn't wash off (it was expired) so she bought a new one. Well she said something to me about the chest clip can't be in the right position unless the straps are much tighter than she use to have them . I'm happy that something so small is being done to prevent a VERY common misuse!

O yeah I had a 07' scenera and an 09' scenera and I had almost 1/2 an inch of height difference between the two. Figures that one that ended up in the accident was the one with more height!

Quote Originally Posted by steph_s View Post
    O yeah I had a 07' scenera and an 09' scenera and I had almost 1/2 an inch of height difference between the two. Figures that one that ended up in the accident was the one with more height!
    Really? There's no way! I'll have to have my DNe sit in the seat today and measure.

I'm glad the daycare child is safer now!!

I must have an in-between one. I have the lack of spikes, but the old chest clip. Not sure on the sticker.
    Shanna - Paramedic & Mom
    Trenton (19), Michael (17), Gabriel (15), Miss Abigail (12), Kaleigh (10), and Caleb (8) - Evenflo booster

They just don't make em like they used to.

Oh, crap.

Can I hijack?

We've got a Scenera sitting in storage (like almost brand new.)
    I heard about the spike thing going on, but I never even looked at mine. Totally forgot.
    How do I know if my seat has these spikes? What do I do about it if it does?

I, too, swore there was a 1/4 to 1/2" difference between the two Sceneras we had. One is gone now, so I can't measure or anything.
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Baby View Post
    How do I know if my seat has these spikes? What do I do about it if it does?
    You turn it over and look at the bottom of the seat. If it has the spikes, well, it has the spikes. If it doesn't, you're good!

It seems that people got a lot of mixed answers; a read that a few people got replacement Sceneras, a few people were able to purchase new Sceneras and have Dorel refund their money, whereas most just got a new harness. You just have to make sure that the harness isn't stuck under the spike once it's installed. If you notice that the harness has a snag in it (like in these pictures, you can call and they will send you a new harness.