More 2005 Odyssey install problems-Help!

jmsherwood

Well, we went back out and tried our best to install this Safeguard seat into the second row seat behind the passenger's seat. We first tried again to install it in the center position but it seems impossible to get it anywhere near as tight as it needs to be. the belt has so far to travel from over by the door to the seat that it feels like there just isn't nearly enough tension to hold the seat back. We then moved the seat over next to the door and attempted to install again. We pulled the belt out the whole way and had the seat back reclined the whole way and pushed the seat in and pulled the belt as tight as we possibly could then we put the seat back up as far as we could. AFter several tries we got it as tight as we think we possibly can and if you gently try to move it from side to side the seat doesn't budge. But, if we try to move the base front to back with some force or vigorously try to dislodge it from side to side, the base pops right of position and slides forward on the leather seat. We had put down a layer of grippy shelf liner, which slides all over the place, seems to make no difference.
Can anyone tell us if we're doing something wrong? How much force should you be able to apply and have the seat not move if properly installed? It's very disconcerting to see the base just pop forward and slide around when we really try to move it.
I might post this over on the Odyssey forums like someone recommended and see if anyone there can offer some advice.
Thanks,
Jill

ADS

gwenvet

When people here say that their seat is in tightly they say that when they push on it, it rocks the car. That's how tight I like mine. Sounds like something just isn't right. Can you find a tech in your area to help? Are you tethering it?

jmsherwood

Yes, it's tethered. Where would I look to find a tech? I'm in Northern VA. I'm really not comfortable with being able to get it to move at all. When it's installed with the LATCH you can't budge it at all, so this is weird to me. My husband can't figure out what else he could possibly do to fix it. I'm really discouraged too that it seems like we can't use the center position for her.

gwenvet

Look here www.seatcheck.net/ for atech in your area. Or post a question looking for one in N Va. I think there is someone here but can't remember who it is. Also the head of SafeGuard lurks here and has posted on occasion. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

jmsherwood

I actually emailed the Safeguard customer service woman who was really helpful before to see if they have any ideas for the install in our vehicle. I think it would probably be most helpful to have someone in person that knows what they are doing.

Look here www.seatcheck.net/ for atech in your area. Or post a question looking for one in N Va. I think there is someone here but can't remember who it is. Also the head of SafeGuard lurks here and has posted on occasion. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

Dillipop

Can you install it with Latch, then add the seatbelt as tight as possible, then release the Latch? Getting it tight with latch first might make it tight enough for the seatbelt to keep it tight without the latch. It's worth a try, at least.

twokidstwodogs

When you say put it in the center position, are you talking about moving the captain's chair to the center, or are you trying to install it in the Plus One seat? I'm assuming it's the former. If so, I really wouldn't stress too much about not getting it to work well in the center. Statistics don't really bear out the idea that there is a huge safety advantage there, and in a car like yours, with its side curtain airbags and excellent side impact ratings, there's not much to worry about with an outboard seat--particularly since kids in the captain's chairs aren't right next to the door anyway.

Edited to add: I missed the part about moving it back to the door--I see you're still having problems there.

jmsherwood

Thanks to both of the last two replies. That might be worth a try to do the latch and them put the belt and then release the LATCH. I think we'll try that and take the shelf liner off and try it the way you suggest and see what happens. I think the Safeguard has such a flat smooth bottom that it slips out so easily on the leather, its frustrating.
You are correct, we had the captains chair moved over away from the door. We had removed the Plus One seat totally. I like having her in the center also because it gives her even more leg room, so it was discouraging that the install doesn't seem to work that way. I know what you're saying too about the safety of the Odyssey but it sure seems like she's right next to the door in that position!
Also, just to clarify one more time because I think I know what you all have written here but I've read several different things and even a thread on here seemed to indicate otherwise.....I am going on the assumption that to meet the LATCH weight requirements I'm adding my daughter's weight of 34 pounds to the weight of the Safeguard 24 pounds or so, which obviously puts us way over the LATCH limit HOnda seems to have at 40 pounds. Is that correct? I've read so many other places where they said you just go by the weight of the child, so I'm still confused. Thanks,
Jill

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The vehicle's lower LATCH anchor weight rating is the child's weight only, you don't need to do any arithmetic to determine if the limit has been reached. :) The math is already factored into the LATCH anchor weight limit for you. So once the child reaches 40 lbs. a seatbelt installation is required. Hope this clarifies for you. :)

jmsherwood

How come there are so many threads on here where they've been saying you add the car seat weight in then? I've been so confused. That is really great , that means she'll have 6 more pounds that I can keep it LATCHed!

The vehicle's lower LATCH anchor weight rating is the child's weight only, you don't need to do any arithmetic to determine if the limit has been reached. :) The math is already factored into the LATCH anchor weight limit for you. So once the child reaches 40 lbs. a seatbelt installation is required. Hope this clarifies for you. :)

twokidstwodogs

Right--keep using LATCH until *she* is forty pounds fully clothed. (And perhaps by then Honda will have tested their LATCH system more thoroughly and raised their limits.)

jmsherwood

Well this is great news. Thanks to you both!
Safeguard suggested the same thing concerning installing it with LATCH first then the seatbelt, then releasing the LATCH to get a tighter fit. So we'll try that, but for now I can keep her in the center and LATCHed.

Right--keep using LATCH until *she* is forty pounds fully clothed. (And perhaps by then Honda will have tested their LATCH system more thoroughly and raised their limits.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC