Is a European child's life worth more than an American child's?

S

safepowerwindows

My three-year-old son Steven would be alive today if he lived in Germany and not our hometown of Ottumwa, Iowa. That's because he was killed by a power window in an American-made car bought here in the United States.

A chilly evening on January 7, 1998: My family lingered at church, chatting with our fellow congregants. My wife Bethany had turned the car on to warm the interior for the children. She then went to find Steven, not realizing that he had somehow climbed into the car on his own and lowered the power window to wave at friends.

His knee inadvertently pressed down the power window switch, activating the window. The powerful force closed on his tiny throat, and soon after he died from his injuries.

My family was utterly devastated. And we are not alone in this tragedy. Power windows have killed and injured at least 100 children. All these deaths occurred in American automobiles.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler can protect our kids and prevent these tragedies by installing safer power windows and window switches. But they choose not to.

It's not as though they lack the technology. American automakers are more than happy to rig such safety features in cars they sell overseas, not because of regulations but because European consumers expect these safety protections.

Does that mean Ford, GM, and Chrysler consider European children more precious than American children?

On a dime, Detroit automakers can eliminate the risk of accidental death or injury from power windows and spare families like mine the heart-break of losing a child to such a senseless and preventable tragedy. But they won't do it on their own. They need YOU to make them do it.

It's time we told Detroit to do the right thing:

-Replace "rocker" or "toggle" power window switches—that a child can inadvertently activate–with safer "pull-up/push down" switches that must be lifted up to raise the window.
-Install an auto-reverse function that stops a window when it detects an obstruction. This is same technology now used in garage doors and elevators.

Please forward this email on to alert friends and families of this danger. Encourage them to add their voice to our public safety campaign by emailing Detroit automakers directly at http://www.kidsandcars.org. KIDS AND CARS is leading this campaign as a nonprofit organization whose mission is to make cars safer for kids. You can also write or phone American automakers directly at the following addresses:

Mr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman and President
DaimlerChrysler Corporation
1000 Chrysler Drive
Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766
Phone: 248-576-5741, Fax: 248-512-9368
dieter.zetsche@daimlerchrysler.com

Mr. William C. Ford, CEO and Chairman of the Board
Ford Motor Company
The American Road
Dearborn, MI 48126
Phone: 313-322-3000, Fax: 313-845-6073
wford@ford.com

Mr. Rick Wagoner, President and CEO
General Motors Corporation
100 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48265
Phone: 313-556-5000, Fax: 248-696-7300
daniel.flores@gm.com

And let your representatives in Congress know it is unacceptable to allow even one more tragedy that automakers can easily prevent. To contact your Senator and Congressional representative, visit the following URL and enter your zip code: www.congress.org.

Sincerely,
Kevin Falkner

P.S. We have succeeded before. From seat belt laws to air bags to interior trunk releases, we know that when American consumers speak out, the auto industry listens. With your help, we can do it again.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Vehicle Safety

As a side note on a related topic, consumers can and should vote for safety with their purchases. How many more injuries and deaths could be saved if consumers purchase vehicles that do better in crash test results, those that are less prone to rollovers, those with more advanced safety features and those with important child safety features? All too often, these things are overlooked in favor of trends, style, color choices, luxury features, price, rebates or financing incentives.

The more people that are aware that motor vehicles crashes are among the highest risks to their lives and those of their children, the more likely we will see more consumers make safety a TOP priority. Until most manufacturers respond with more of these standard features, there are safer choices at the auto dealers. In addition, we can all spread the word to parents, especially those who indicate they may be looking for a new vehicle. Nothing will ever replace proper supervision, of course, but things like the simple change of the position and direction of a rocker switch for power windows seems like one that should not be too costly to incorporate in new vehicle designs. Hopefully, the manufacturers will respond sooner than later.

For more:

http://www.car-safety.org/carguide.html

U

Unregistered

I know what you are talking about and agree ... but out of the options availible today here in the states, there are features that they have that can help prevent (unfortunately not totally) something like this from happening again.

I own a Ford SUV and aside from the child safety locks on the doors and the LATCH, I also have a master switch at the drivers door panel that locks all of the windows so that no one can raise or lower the window unless I turn off the lock. Of course, this is useless if the child is in the driver's seat. But I keep it on "lock" at all times just to be safe.

Kids are quick movers and something like this can happen to anyone! Thanks for sharing your story!

It is very unfortunate that this happened to you and we pray for you and your family.

U

Unregistered

I own a 2003 Venture.

You have to pull up to close the power windows, someone out there is listening. I'm so sorry for your loss and I applaud your efforts to keep another child from being harmed.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's funny-

At the time, I thought I was neurotic when I ordered my 1999 Saturn SL2 with manual window cranks. You can still get these on various basic models if you car concerned about safety. After all, it is the ultimate responsibility of the parent to supervise children. That includes purchasing and using safe products, and monitoring the child when they are using the product. It's perfectly reasonable to expect manufacturers to improve the safety of their products, but that does not absolve parents of their responsbility. Very few products are absolutely 100% safe for kids, and vehicles will never be one of them.

Tamie

Senior Community Member
Our '98 Mercury Villager has a lift-button mechanism for raising the automatic window. My husband's '02 Malibu has manual windows.

Off-topic, I wish the Villager had a manual crank handle right now, as the motor is close to going out and will cost $400 to replace. This makes going to a Sonic Drive-In tough, but I'm coping.

I'm researching new mini vans right now in hopes of having a new one next spring. The front-runner is an '04 Sienna, but my Ford sales manager BIL is trying to talk me into a Freestar. Rear side curtain airbags are optional, though, from what I can tell.

Tamie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC