I actually talked to someone!

christineka

You know, I'm a non assertive person. I don't like confrontations. I normally only talk about car seats online or in my head.

There's this mom with two kids, slightly older than my 5 and 3 year olds. We met each other at the school and set up a playdate for this afternoon. Mom happened to park next to my van. She put her ds into his century STE OHS seat, then came around to the driver's side, which is where my van was with the open door. She asked about ds2's seat. Then asked if dd4 sat in the front seat, since I had a freecycle infant seat sitting there. I told her no, that that was an old, expired seat that I was going to take to be recycled. Then she told me she'd take my kids home from her house, but I told her I'd pick them up myself because my kids had to be in car seats. She then asked about dd3's weight and told me her dd has been 40 pounds and in a booster since age 4. I told her about ds1 who was too wiggly to sit in one till he was 7. Then I mentioned that she might check her ds' seat to see if it was expired since we used to have the same seat and it expired in 2007. (I know her seat is expired, but I think she should be the one to discover that.) Then I mentioned that there would be a car seat check tomorrow. She wants me to bring the information over when my kids go to her house. Yay! I don't know if she'll actually go, but I actually talked to her and maybe she will get a new seat for her ds!

ADS

cookie123

Way to go Christine! That's great. I'm a bit reserved myself. I don't usually talk about seats except when someone asks. People I work with know I'm a CPST. Or to my dd about her kids, of course!

MomToEliEm

I think you did great at talking with her. I hope she reads the info you bring over to her and she makes it to the seat check tomorrow.

christineka

I ended up taking dd to the er instead of the playdate, but the mom actually came to my house to get info on the car seat check. She said she got the seat for free from a friend when her 6 year old was little and so she knew it was old. I hope she goes because I saw that her dd buckles with the shoulderbelt behind her back. Her dd has two seats- a backless turbo and a right fit.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
You took your dd to the er? I hope she is ok!!!

Good for you for talking to her in a way that allowed her to make some changes and not feel confronted. Hopefully she will go to the seat check!!!!

christineka

You took your dd to the er? I hope she is ok!!!

Yeah, she fell in the gym at school and split her chin open. She's the first of our kids now to actually need stitches. With her clumsiness, it will be very good if she can manage not to split them open. The child was walking around the er room with her eyes closed...

I think my friend will actually go to the checkup. She said the time was perfect.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC