Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not ideal but need suggestions...

Parker will be 4 at the end of September and is in Britax Frontiers in our 2 vehicles and in a GN in my mom's Tahoe. We stopped out at the doctor's office to talk to MIL last night (she's a nurse) and Parker was playing on the scale so she turned it on so that he could see how much he weighs...62 POUNDS!

So he almost outweighs his GN in my mom's Tahoe and getting him another Frontier is not financially possible for us or for my parents so we need to start booster training him so that he can ride with my mom. She's his preschool teacher so she'll be transporting him back & forth to preschool 2 days per week this fall.

What HBB do you recommend for a very stocky almost 4 year old?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Not ideal but need suggestions...

None. I'd get him a Ride Safer Travel Vest. He is simply too young for a booster, even a very occasional, part-time booster. The Ride Safer Travel Vest is a much better option.

As an aside, 62 pounds is absolutely enormous for a 3 year old. Is he extremely tall? Are you sure the scale was measuring correctly?

Senior Community Member

I agree in that I wouldn't be comfortable putting him in a booster yet... even for short rides a few times a week. He's simply too young to sit properly 100% of the time. I would check the swap on here for a frontier or regent, since that would be cheaper than buying one new. Either that or just switch out the frontier between vehicles... it's a pain, but so much safer.
    Mama to an amazing 8 month old baby boy and many fur babies!

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    As an aside, 62 pounds is absolutely enormous for a 3 year old. Is he extremely tall? Are you sure the scale was measuring correctly?
    The scale is unfortunately correct. He was just under 10 pounds when he was born and is just a big kid. He's entirely proportional but he's always been off the charts for height & weight. He's about 44" tall right now.

I'll have to keep watching to see if I can find him a Regent or Frontier that we can afford. Unfortunately, things are a little tight at the moment.

It may take him awhile to gain 3 pounds also.

CPS Advocate

He's very heavy but not overly tall. You could also look for a Radian 80 on swap, he'd probably have another year or two in the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by sjfost05 View Post
    The scale is unfortunately correct. He was just under 10 pounds when he was born and is just a big kid. He's entirely proportional but he's always been off the charts for height & weight. He's about 44" tall right now.

I'll have to keep watching to see if I can find him a Regent or Frontier that we can afford. Unfortunately, things are a little tight at the moment.
    Not to be rude, but that isn't very proportional. My almost 5 yr old is 44lbs and 44 inches and she is around 80th percentile in both.
    I wouldn't put him in a booster either.
    ETA, that was not meant in a judgemental way at all, just a concerned outside voice. When I played with the percentile calculator, it only took dropping his height 1 inch to get him onto that chart, while I had to drop the weight 18lbs to do so.
    Last edited by tiggercat; 06-17-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

I agree wait and see how long it takes for him to reach those last 3 lbs. Do you know anyone who could use a nautilus? If you sell it you can use the money to help buy something else.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Agree with the others that a booster is not an appropriate choice for a not-yet-4yo (or even a newly-4yo).

Your best bet would be to find a Radian80 or Regent on sale or on carseat swap.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPS Fanatic

If you can't swing the regent or frontier, the RSTV is usually found for under $150, so it's a bit more affordable. But I'd wait and see when he does outgrow the nautilus.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

OP where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by 4boysmom View Post
    OP where are you located?
    We live in SW Iowa.

Who does he ride with more, your mom or in your second vehicle? If he rides with your mom more, maybe you can put one of your frontiers in her car so you don't have to worry about it, then put the nauti in your second car until it's outgrown (still could be a while)? In the meantime, start saving, sell some stuff, look for deals, etc.

I agree with the others that at that weight it does not seem very proportionate. My ds is almost the same age, he will be 4 in December. So only a couple months off. He is also very close to that same height. I haven't measured him recently but i know its close. And he weighs 42 lbs and i think he is huge for a 3.5 year old. I can't even imagine him with 20 lbs on top of that. He was also born larger than your ds at 11 lbs 6 oz. I don't mean to be rude, but has your pedi been concerned about his weight. I know mine started getting on me about ds' weight at his 3 year when he weighed at the time 39 lbs. There is no way i would put ds in a booster. Heck my 6 year old is still harnessed. I would try whatever you can to get him a new frontier or regent. If i was in your position and i couldn't afford gettig a new seat i honestly would be switching his frontier everytime my mom took him to school. Not ideal but no way would i have him in a booster yet.
    Last edited by my2kidsSafe; 06-17-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Honestly? I wouldn't buy any seats, I'd buy a good digital scale and eek it out until he actually hits 65lbs because that could take 6 months or more.

ETA: And save up for a Radian 80 in the mean time.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

My grandnephew is 3.5 and does weigh 60 pound so I know that it is possible. My grandnephew is taller and a lot heavier then then my four year ds. My neice has my grandnephew in a booster seat and I do not think that he is ready for one.

Anyway I do agree with the pp about keeping this child in a harness as long as possible. Kids at this age are not ready for booster seats.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

If the OP states that the height and weight is accurate, I'm not sure it's helpful to question further. This is car-seat.org and our focus should be on helping her to make sure he's safely restrained.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

19. Thank You from:

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

*nods* And kids with a more-than-average proportion of muscle can absolutely be proportional but heavier than kids with less muscle. I know, I have a 4 year old like that (though she's not quite that tall, and doesn't weigh quite that much-- but she looks "skinny" and people are always surprised that she weighs almost 45 lbs. Her BMI when she was 2 put her at "obese" and her doctor was concerned when she walked in-- until she LOOKED at her. She is not obese, or anywhere close to it.)

I think a Ride Safer Travel Vest is a good option. An 86-Y with booster might be viable too, depending on the setup of her car, and might be more comfortable for him than the RSTV since he's at kind of an "in between" place as far as sizing goes. Plus the booster could be used without the harness in a few years.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

I agree to try to get the full 65lbs out of the Nautilus. In the meantime I would specifically save for a Frontier 85 as quickly as you can. Check the shopping forums, people aren't paying much more than $200 for them, and I've seen one scored for less. You can also sell your Graco to help fund it- I'm not sure what it'd go for, but put some feelers out there when you get close to saving $200. The Frontier 85 is a very smart investment in your case. It's actually very value priced considering it's good for nine (eight?) years and it's a booster when he is mature enough for one.

My 5 year old is now about 49lbs and almost 50inches tall. I'm pretty sure at four he was 47-48lbs and around 47 inches (give or take). So growing quickly in height but not weight. All children grow differently, but most slow down in the weight gain around this age. You may have a year or so in the Nautilus. Here's to hoping he grows taller and not heavier this year!

Are the 2 Frontiers you currently have in your own 2 cars?

If so, could you give Grandma a Frontier & use the Nautilus in your car. Then keep an eye on his weight while you save up for another Frontier?
    If he hits 65 pounds, only drive him in the cars with the Frontiers and/or switch the Frontier between cars as needed.