Not ideal but need suggestions...

sjfost

Parker will be 4 at the end of September and is in Britax Frontiers in our 2 vehicles and in a GN in my mom's Tahoe. We stopped out at the doctor's office to talk to MIL last night (she's a nurse) and Parker was playing on the scale so she turned it on so that he could see how much he weighs...62 POUNDS!

So he almost outweighs his GN in my mom's Tahoe and getting him another Frontier is not financially possible for us or for my parents so we need to start booster training him so that he can ride with my mom. She's his preschool teacher so she'll be transporting him back & forth to preschool 2 days per week this fall.

What HBB do you recommend for a very stocky almost 4 year old?

ADS

Maedze

None. I'd get him a Ride Safer Travel Vest. He is simply too young for a booster, even a very occasional, part-time booster. The Ride Safer Travel Vest is a much better option.

As an aside, 62 pounds is absolutely enormous for a 3 year old. Is he extremely tall? Are you sure the scale was measuring correctly?

andre149

I agree in that I wouldn't be comfortable putting him in a booster yet... even for short rides a few times a week. He's simply too young to sit properly 100% of the time. I would check the swap on here for a frontier or regent, since that would be cheaper than buying one new. Either that or just switch out the frontier between vehicles... it's a pain, but so much safer.

sjfost

As an aside, 62 pounds is absolutely enormous for a 3 year old. Is he extremely tall? Are you sure the scale was measuring correctly?

The scale is unfortunately correct. He was just under 10 pounds when he was born and is just a big kid. He's entirely proportional but he's always been off the charts for height & weight. He's about 44" tall right now.

I'll have to keep watching to see if I can find him a Regent or Frontier that we can afford. Unfortunately, things are a little tight at the moment.

Maedze

He's very heavy but not overly tall. You could also look for a Radian 80 on swap, he'd probably have another year or two in the harness.

tiggercat

The scale is unfortunately correct. He was just under 10 pounds when he was born and is just a big kid. He's entirely proportional but he's always been off the charts for height & weight. He's about 44" tall right now.

I'll have to keep watching to see if I can find him a Regent or Frontier that we can afford. Unfortunately, things are a little tight at the moment.

Not to be rude, but that isn't very proportional. My almost 5 yr old is 44lbs and 44 inches and she is around 80th percentile in both.
I wouldn't put him in a booster either.
ETA, that was not meant in a judgemental way at all, just a concerned outside voice. When I played with the percentile calculator, it only took dropping his height 1 inch to get him onto that chart, while I had to drop the weight 18lbs to do so.

Last edited:

emandbri

I agree wait and see how long it takes for him to reach those last 3 lbs. Do you know anyone who could use a nautilus? If you sell it you can use the money to help buy something else.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Agree with the others that a booster is not an appropriate choice for a not-yet-4yo (or even a newly-4yo).

Your best bet would be to find a Radian80 or Regent on sale or on carseat swap.

DahliaRW

If you can't swing the regent or frontier, the RSTV is usually found for under $150, so it's a bit more affordable. But I'd wait and see when he does outgrow the nautilus.

mamakc

Who does he ride with more, your mom or in your second vehicle? If he rides with your mom more, maybe you can put one of your frontiers in her car so you don't have to worry about it, then put the nauti in your second car until it's outgrown (still could be a while)? In the meantime, start saving, sell some stuff, look for deals, etc.

my2kidsSafe

I agree with the others that at that weight it does not seem very proportionate. My ds is almost the same age, he will be 4 in December. So only a couple months off. He is also very close to that same height. I haven't measured him recently but i know its close. And he weighs 42 lbs and i think he is huge for a 3.5 year old. I can't even imagine him with 20 lbs on top of that. He was also born larger than your ds at 11 lbs 6 oz. I don't mean to be rude, but has your pedi been concerned about his weight. I know mine started getting on me about ds' weight at his 3 year when he weighed at the time 39 lbs. There is no way i would put ds in a booster. Heck my 6 year old is still harnessed. I would try whatever you can to get him a new frontier or regent. If i was in your position and i couldn't afford gettig a new seat i honestly would be switching his frontier everytime my mom took him to school. Not ideal but no way would i have him in a booster yet.

Last edited:

urchin_grey

Honestly? I wouldn't buy any seats, I'd buy a good digital scale and eek it out until he actually hits 65lbs because that could take 6 months or more.

ETA: And save up for a Radian 80 in the mean time. ;)

rosey2007

My grandnephew is 3.5 and does weigh 60 pound so I know that it is possible. My grandnephew is taller and a lot heavier then then my four year ds. My neice has my grandnephew in a booster seat and I do not think that he is ready for one.

Anyway I do agree with the pp about keeping this child in a harness as long as possible. Kids at this age are not ready for booster seats.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If the OP states that the height and weight is accurate, I'm not sure it's helpful to question further. This is car-seat.org and our focus should be on helping her to make sure he's safely restrained.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
*nods* And kids with a more-than-average proportion of muscle can absolutely be proportional but heavier than kids with less muscle. I know, I have a 4 year old like that (though she's not quite that tall, and doesn't weigh quite that much-- but she looks "skinny" and people are always surprised that she weighs almost 45 lbs. Her BMI when she was 2 put her at "obese" and her doctor was concerned when she walked in-- until she LOOKED at her. She is not obese, or anywhere close to it.)

I think a Ride Safer Travel Vest is a good option. An 86-Y with booster might be viable too, depending on the setup of her car, and might be more comfortable for him than the RSTV since he's at kind of an "in between" place as far as sizing goes. Plus the booster could be used without the harness in a few years. :thumbsup:

Lulu

I agree to try to get the full 65lbs out of the Nautilus. In the meantime I would specifically save for a Frontier 85 as quickly as you can. Check the shopping forums, people aren't paying much more than $200 for them, and I've seen one scored for less. You can also sell your Graco to help fund it- I'm not sure what it'd go for, but put some feelers out there when you get close to saving $200. The Frontier 85 is a very smart investment in your case. It's actually very value priced considering it's good for nine (eight?) years and it's a booster when he is mature enough for one.

My 5 year old is now about 49lbs and almost 50inches tall. I'm pretty sure at four he was 47-48lbs and around 47 inches (give or take). So growing quickly in height but not weight. All children grow differently, but most slow down in the weight gain around this age. You may have a year or so in the Nautilus. Here's to hoping he grows taller and not heavier this year!

monstah

Are the 2 Frontiers you currently have in your own 2 cars?

If so, could you give Grandma a Frontier & use the Nautilus in your car. Then keep an eye on his weight while you save up for another Frontier?
If he hits 65 pounds, only drive him in the cars with the Frontiers and/or switch the Frontier between cars as needed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC