Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

I'm teaching the CPS portion of Safety Town...

I could use some suggestions on what to talk about.

I'll have 5 groups of 12 kids, about 20 minutes for each group. These are mostly 4 & 5 year olds.

The officer in charge just said "really emphasize buckling up, and what air bags are", and he showed me a little car and ramp that he puts an egg in to show what happens if you don't wear your seatbelt, then rubber bands the egg in to show what happens if you do wear your seatbelt.

So, um, yeah... I'm basically starting from scratch.

I'll have 2 teenage "helpers" who are getting community service hours.

I'm going to have them weigh and measure the kids for a "what seat is best for me" form I made.

I know I need to talk about riding in a booster until at least 4'9" (the law here is 8 OR 4'9", so if they get the 4'9" message, that's better, IMO).

I'll talk about ALWAYS sitting in the back seat.

Proper belt placement while in a booster, including making sure the lap belt is low on their hips/thighs and the shoulder belt on the shoulder and to always sit right and keep the belt in place.

If anyone has a few catchy phrases that would help the kids remember this stuff, I'd appreciate it!

I'll be sending home the recommendation for a seat (rfing, ff, booster etc) that they were weighed and measured for, along with "Boosters are for Big Kids", 2 page handout.

I was thinking of taking in a scarf and letting them practice "buckling up" and showing them good and bad belt placement.

I'll do the egg thing, too, because it makes a point and the officer was adamant about it.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member myliljunebugs's Avatar

Re: I'm teaching the CPS portion of Safety Town...

I don't know how it was done, but someone on here did something with a small skeleten? I remember there was a gross factor and it really was a big hit, hopefully someone will know what in the heck I'm talking about

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
    Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myliljunebugs View Post
    I don't know how it was done, but someone on here did something with a small skeleten? I remember there was a gross factor and it really was a big hit, hopefully someone will know what in the heck I'm talking about
    Was it the Twinkie demonstration?
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Yeah, Twinkie physics. I've also found bringing oversized clothes they can try on to be good for that age group-- let them try on a shirt or pants and see how it falls down, shoes and see how they fall off or you trip. Then talk about how if your seatbelt doesn't fit, it doesn't work either. Great entry into Twinkie physics too, or just finding the "strong bones" and talking about why the belt needs to be there instead of your "squishy parts."
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member myliljunebugs's Avatar

Yes! The Twinkies! Thanks, I totally had a blond moment. (shocking, I know )

Connor, 11 years, 5' 112lbs, seatbelt
    Ella, 8 years, 52" 60lb, FR 85, PW

CPS Fanatic

If you have any children who are in harness seats (or should be) - "It's a chest clip, not a belly clip." That's what I started telling my twins when they were 3 or 4 years old and sometimes they pushed it down.

Melanie

Senior Community Member

About the Twinkies...

I tried opening the 800buckleup.org website to learn about *exactly* how to do it, but the page is blocked by my computer for auto downloads of malware or something.

I tried reading other examples here, but they all mention using a skeleton, which I don't have and can't get since Safety Town is the next two weeks and I still don't know which days I'll be there.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Senior Community Member

OK... I think I've got 3 activities/demonstrations, from ideas here and through searching.

First, I'll talk about how important seat belts are, how the most important job they do is keep you in the car.

Then I'll do the egg on the ramp demo.

Then I'll have all the kids try on some adult shirts (I'll get some at a thift store or something, I need 12 to make this really quick, my time is limited), and ask them if they think they fit properly.

I'll talk about how seat belts are designed for adults who fit into the clothes they're wearing, and how boosters help them fit properly into seat belts.

Then I'll do the twinkie demo (If I can get some step by step instructions and/or pics/video from people here!!!).

Last, I'll have the teenagers help me weigh and measure each of the kids and I'll send home the sheets with the kids.

Think I can do all that in 20 minutes with 12 kids and 2 teenage helpers?

If it would help you, I have a c-s.org key chain that has a buckle if you want to borrow it and rig it up to your scarf demo.

I can't find a picture right now, but someone else posted one a while ago, I will try to dig it up.
    Chardon, Ohio - One Heartbeat - 2/27/12

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctbcleveland View Post
    If it would help you, I have a c-s.org key chain that has a buckle if you want to borrow it and rig it up to your scarf demo.

I can't find a picture right now, but someone else posted one a while ago, I will try to dig it up.

Maybe. Thanks for the offer!

I'm driving my mom's car right now because of a long and boring story involving my XH, my van w/expired Idaho license plates and a bank... and I don't always have her car, just today and tomorrow, but we were busy all day today and much of tomorrow, then she'll have it this weekend, and I'll have it a few days next week, but I don't know what day (s) I'm teaching the CPS portion at Safety Town. If it's M, T, or W - then I likely won't be able to get it from you. If it's after that, I can probably pick it up.

CPS Technician

I'd talk about booster being for "big Kids".
    Tanya

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
    Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster