I'm teaching the CPS portion of Safety Town...

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I could use some suggestions on what to talk about.

I'll have 5 groups of 12 kids, about 20 minutes for each group. These are mostly 4 & 5 year olds.

The officer in charge just said "really emphasize buckling up, and what air bags are", and he showed me a little car and ramp that he puts an egg in to show what happens if you don't wear your seatbelt, then rubber bands the egg in to show what happens if you do wear your seatbelt.

So, um, yeah... I'm basically starting from scratch.

I'll have 2 teenage "helpers" who are getting community service hours.

I'm going to have them weigh and measure the kids for a "what seat is best for me" form I made.

I know I need to talk about riding in a booster until at least 4'9" (the law here is 8 OR 4'9", so if they get the 4'9" message, that's better, IMO).

I'll talk about ALWAYS sitting in the back seat.

Proper belt placement while in a booster, including making sure the lap belt is low on their hips/thighs and the shoulder belt on the shoulder and to always sit right and keep the belt in place.

If anyone has a few catchy phrases that would help the kids remember this stuff, I'd appreciate it!

I'll be sending home the recommendation for a seat (rfing, ff, booster etc) that they were weighed and measured for, along with "Boosters are for Big Kids", 2 page handout.

I was thinking of taking in a scarf and letting them practice "buckling up" and showing them good and bad belt placement.

I'll do the egg thing, too, because it makes a point and the officer was adamant about it.

ADS

myliljunebugs

I don't know how it was done, but someone on here did something with a small skeleten? I remember there was a gross factor and it really was a big hit, hopefully someone will know what in the heck I'm talking about ;)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't know how it was done, but someone on here did something with a small skeleten? I remember there was a gross factor and it really was a big hit, hopefully someone will know what in the heck I'm talking about ;)

Was it the Twinkie demonstration?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, Twinkie physics. I've also found bringing oversized clothes they can try on to be good for that age group-- let them try on a shirt or pants and see how it falls down, shoes and see how they fall off or you trip. Then talk about how if your seatbelt doesn't fit, it doesn't work either. Great entry into Twinkie physics too, or just finding the "strong bones" and talking about why the belt needs to be there instead of your "squishy parts."

Jan06twinmom

If you have any children who are in harness seats (or should be) - "It's a chest clip, not a belly clip." That's what I started telling my twins when they were 3 or 4 years old and sometimes they pushed it down.

Melanie

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
About the Twinkies...

I tried opening the 800buckleup.org website to learn about *exactly* how to do it, but the page is blocked by my computer for auto downloads of malware or something.

I tried reading other examples here, but they all mention using a skeleton, which I don't have and can't get since Safety Town is the next two weeks and I still don't know which days I'll be there.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
OK... I think I've got 3 activities/demonstrations, from ideas here and through searching.

First, I'll talk about how important seat belts are, how the most important job they do is keep you in the car.

Then I'll do the egg on the ramp demo.

Then I'll have all the kids try on some adult shirts (I'll get some at a thift store or something, I need 12 to make this really quick, my time is limited), and ask them if they think they fit properly.

I'll talk about how seat belts are designed for adults who fit into the clothes they're wearing, and how boosters help them fit properly into seat belts.

Then I'll do the twinkie demo (If I can get some step by step instructions and/or pics/video from people here!!!).

Last, I'll have the teenagers help me weigh and measure each of the kids and I'll send home the sheets with the kids.

Think I can do all that in 20 minutes with 12 kids and 2 teenage helpers?

ctbcleveland

If it would help you, I have a c-s.org key chain that has a buckle if you want to borrow it and rig it up to your scarf demo.

I can't find a picture right now, but someone else posted one a while ago, I will try to dig it up.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If it would help you, I have a c-s.org key chain that has a buckle if you want to borrow it and rig it up to your scarf demo.

I can't find a picture right now, but someone else posted one a while ago, I will try to dig it up.

Maybe. Thanks for the offer!

I'm driving my mom's car right now because of a long and boring story involving my XH, my van w/expired Idaho license plates and a bank... and I don't always have her car, just today and tomorrow, but we were busy all day today and much of tomorrow, then she'll have it this weekend, and I'll have it a few days next week, but I don't know what day (s) I'm teaching the CPS portion at Safety Town. If it's M, T, or W - then I likely won't be able to get it from you. If it's after that, I can probably pick it up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC