Traveling by air with 2 and 5 yo.

daniele_ut

We are leaving for a work trip soon and we are flying and then renting a car at our destination. Both kids have seats on the plane.

I have available the following:

For 2.5yo, 24lb DD - Marathon or Coccoro

For 5.5 old, 45lb DS - Nautilus, Parkway (old style) or Turbobooster (still in the box, dh will probably murder me when he realizes that I bought an EIGHTH seat, lol!)

I'm pretty settled on bringing the Cocorro for DD. Is there any reason I shouldn't? I completely forgot to order the installation wedge thingie from Combi, but I haven't had any issues RF with LATCH in my car or seatbelt in dh's so I'm not *too* worried about it.

I'm torn about DS. I DON'T want to travel with the Nauti again. We took it last year and checked it (I know, I know), but it's just a beast. Should I take the Parkway and gate check it, or unbox the Turbo and carry on the bottom and check the back in my luggage? How hard is it to attach and remove the back?

One of my concerns about putting the back in my luggage is space. I already have to bring the doubles seat for my P&T because I forgot to send it ahead on the work truck, so I'm not sure how much space I will have.

ADS

Murphy's Law

We have a similar arrangement coming up too. I'm taking a seat (RN) for the 2.5 y/o and bringing a RSTV for my 5 y/o. You don't have access to one of those, do you?

I know it's a pain, but with the choices you listed, I'd take the Nauti and have him use it on the plane to avoid checking it. If you take one of the boosters you'll have to check it since they aren't approved for airplane use. I personally won't check my seats because I fear for how they are treated.

I'm thinking if you could borrow or buy a vest, that would be the best option for you. Enjoy your trip.

daniele_ut

I'm thinking if you could borrow or buy a vest, that would be the best option for you. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you for your suggestions!

I don't have access to a RSTV, and I would have to have one overnighted at this point. I also forgot to mention that this is an extended trip. We'll be there for a month and I think the vest would be hard to use daily.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd probably carry on the bottom of the Turbo and pack the back well-padded with clothes and wrapped in bubble wrap in the middle of a larger suitcase, then. This is assuming that this is not his first time using a booster, he's already had some practice-- I wouldn't want the first time using a booster to be on vacation, that could be very not good.

If you just need something a little lighter, what about a Maestro? They are much lighter, easier to travel with and carry on the plane. (Wish I'd had more notice-- I'd have been happy to lend you our Safeguard Go... I don't suppose someone in your area has one that they could lend you?)

daniele_ut

ketchupqueen - No, it's definitely not his first time using a booster. We've been booster training with the Parkway for more than 6 months now. I stick it in the car every couple of weeks and let him ride in it for a few days.

That's sweet of you to offer the Safeguard Go! I don't think I know anyone here who owns one. I know dh would have a fit if I went out and bought a Maestro, since we already own 2 Nautili. Add that to the 2 Marathons, the Cocorro, the Parkway and the KeyFit30 in the box and he thinks I am mad!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But, that's less than 4 seats per kid on average! I have more than 5 seats per kid (averaged) and several of them are not even currently usable. So, um, let's just say your husband has less to complain about than mine. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC