Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Mercedes ML320 2001 - No Tethers

I called the dealership and they said they cannot install a tether on this car, why would they not be able to?

(scatterbunny? suggested I post this in this thread)

Thanks
    Carly
    C 10/2003
    M 7/2009
    C 11/2010

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST Instructor

Re: Mercedes ML320 2001 - No Tethers

They should be able to install a tether, however some mercedes involve some work to install the tether such as removing the rear window. I would try calling anothe dealer to see what they say.

Thanks, will try to call another one.
    Carly
    C 10/2003
    M 7/2009
    C 11/2010

CPS Technician

Just to clarify:

TETHER is for the strap behind the seat, reducing head excursion.

LATCH is the lower anchors in seat, used instead of the seatbelt to install a CR.

Many people confuse the two or use the terms interchangeably.

Dealers CAN install a TETHER. Only a very few makes, models, years can retrofit LATCH.

I have asked several times specifically for just a tether and they say no. I don't understand. I am not asking for the lowers anchors.
    Carly
    C 10/2003
    M 7/2009
    C 11/2010

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by flipper68 View Post
    Just to clarify:

TETHER is for the strap behind the seat, reducing head excursion.

LATCH is the lower anchors in seat, used instead of the seatbelt to install a CR.

Many people confuse the two or use the terms interchangeably.

Dealers CAN install a TETHER. Only a very few makes, models, years can retrofit LATCH.
    not to nitpick, but... for the sake of clarification:

TETHER is the STRAP the runs from the top of the shell to the tether ANCHOR (TA). the tether comes already installed on the carseat, while the TA is the hook that is bolted to the car.

LATCH = Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren. it is an acronym for the carseat attachment system which includes both the lower anchors AND tether.

the dealer does not install a TETHER. they install the tether ANCHOR (TA). it is the lower anchors that can not be retrofitted on most cars.

and yes, the nomenclature is confusing. they really should have thought of something more systematic instead of something "cutesy". i mean, technically, the belt that 99% of us refer to as a "LATCH" belt should really be called the "lower anchor" belt, because it fastens to the lower anchors and is completely separate from the tether.

i hope that clears it up... confusing, INDEED!
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Christophersmom, I think I have some good news for you. According to info. in the LATCH manual* about the 2001 Mercedes M-class SUV, it already has factory equipped top tether anchors in the second row center and outboard seating positions. If yours has the optional two-seat third row, it also should have factory equipped top tether anchors in both third row seating positions. All tether anchors in the M-class are metal rings on the floor of the cargo area according to the LATCH manual. I hope this helps.

*The LATCH manual is basically a master volume of top tether anchor and lower LATCH anchor information for most vehicles sold in the U.S. and part numbers for retrofitting older pre-2000 models with top tether anchors. It's published by the Safe Ride News.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar