What is with the Recaro Start??

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Oh geez...! Since it is a FF-only seat, I am sure that Recaro does not claim it is for use with children 9-months-old, do they?!? Hopefully it's just the merchant...? If not, then some major letter-writing/e-mailing is in order...:mad: Well, either way actually.

ETA - This is even worse - I was thinking of the Young Sport, not the Start... A BOOSTER for a 9-MONTH-OLD?!? Or any child younger than 4????

ETA again: This really bothers me... So I'm on hold with Recaro to complain about erroneous advertising by a distributor.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.autobahnpower.com/main.asp?category=Recaro+Child+Seat

Good for kids 9 months old!?? WTH? There has probably been a thread on this before, but I couldn't find it...so fill me in, please!

They *said* they would stop telling their vendors to say 9 months (some of my friends have complained to Recaro over the years...), but I guess word didn't get around. It's the start age on the seat in Europe, they just won't play nice with the US market and stop saying it here (that's the same baby on that page that I looked at when I bought my first Start in 2001, I think, lol).

The Young Sport is just as bad... FF harnessed at 18 pounds is what they say for that one...groan...

Yeah, it's 26 pounds... MUST be top tethered here, I guess the red shoulderbelt lockoff clamps are required in EU to prevent the seat loading/crushing the child (they are only mandatory to 40 pounds here...)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
That's too bad... :mad: Well, after being on hold, I was directed to someone's voice mail. So I left a long detailed message. Anyone else want to join me?!?

Jonathan Sieber (Recaro)
800-873-2276

(Is it okay to post a phone number here? If not, let me know...)

scatterbunny

To be fair to Recaro, doesn't the Start have an impact cushion (sort of like a Laptop) to be used with kids under a certain weight, effectively providing the same protection a harnessed seat would?

I think other boosters in Europe have a 9mo minimum age, also.

And someone who owns a Young Sport recently said the minimum weight was upped to 20 pounds. Here's hoping! :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I just got off the phone with someone at Autobahnpower.com.... Not very receptive. :rolleyes: He said he wouldn't change anything until after talking to Recaro. He said if the minimum weight is 30lbs, then that was fine for it to be used that way. We had a long conversation, but I don't think I got very far. I guess in all fairness, he really is going by the minimum weight on the seat - I think Recaro needs to be the ones to clarify this issue with their distributors who really may not be "in the know" about child seats. Perhaps more phone calls would help...?

southpawboston

with all due respect, i can see why the rep from autobahnpower.com wouldn't change anything based on the complaint of a random person, as opposed to someone within recaro.

and unfortunately, 9 mos is the minimum age for FFing in europe, so that specification just got brought over here verbatim without anyone bothering to check their facts and realize they can't just state the same thing here as they can in the european market. recaro should have done a much better marketing job, giving retailers in the US the proper marketing information to be used in the descriptions.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
with all due respect, i can see why the rep from autobahnpower.com wouldn't change anything based on the complaint of a random person, as opposed to someone within recaro.

and unfortunately, 9 mos is the minimum age for FFing in europe, so that specification just got brought over here verbatim without anyone bothering to check their facts and realize they can't just state the same thing here as they can in the european market. recaro should have done a much better marketing job, giving retailers in the US the proper marketing information to be used in the descriptions.

I agree and tried to explain to the rep about the difference between Europe and the US. But this is a BOOSTER! :eek: Anyway, I hope Recaro will step in and at least state a minimum age for their boosters. :rolleyes:

ETA: Doesn't this make your stomach churn?

Child_1.jpg

Morganthe

I agree and tried to explain to the rep about the difference between Europe and the US. But this is a BOOSTER! :eek: Anyway, I hope Recaro will step in and at least state a minimum age for their boosters. :rolleyes:

ETA: Doesn't this make your stomach churn?

Child_1.jpg

Same seat with impact cushion.
seat_cussion_fitted_start.jpg

(Hope the link worked)
This is supposed to be used if a child is under 40lbs.
Recaro Impact cushion has been tested & is legal in Europe. It's why the seat is rated from the 9kg. weight.
According to the British Automobile association's rating comments, a child is well protected and the Recaro Start works very well if the impact cushion is used as suggested by the company. I've seen pictures of 12 month old babies in it. It almost covers their entire body and their arms just kind of stick out of the sides like piggy toes. I can't see how it's comfortable, but apparently, it is. :cool:

Morganthe

Nope. I don't know why either. I contacted Recaro USA several times. Each time, the individual was completely clueless as to what I was discussing. I even emailed her the Recaro.uk link page with the spec numbers. I got the reply that US laws were more stringent than anyone elses, so it must not be that safe to use.

I purchased a brand spanking new cushion through ebay.uk, had it shipped to an American friend in Germany who sent it via the US post office. Oddly enough, it still cost less than buying one new in Germany. I haven't used it yet. I have to get a top tether hook for the Camry and dd still fits in her M-C.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC