If coats add bulk that can cause compression issues

CarseatNerdGirl

What about cloth diapers? My little P's butt is just about 3 times it's normal, sadly flat (thanks, grandma) size when it's in a cloth diaper. I notice when I have him in a sposie I have to tighten the straps, but when he's in cloth he fits perfectly. What's the risk of compression with that bamboo badness?:love: <---Look I used the creepy pile of smileys smiley.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Cloth diapers are pretty much already compressed. They're not puffy, just thick. The air in a puffy coat is the issue more than the thickness. It makes you think you've got a nice and tight harness, when really you don't.

Same goes for adults in puffy coats in seatbelts. And why it's ok to wear a shirt, sweater, vest, and a fleece. None of them are compressible.

Wendy

CarseatNerdGirl

Cloth diapers are pretty much already compressed. They're not puffy, just thick. The air in a puffy coat is the issue more than the thickness. It makes you think you've got a nice and tight harness, when really you don't.

Same goes for adults in puffy coats in seatbelts. And why it's ok to wear a shirt, sweater, vest, and a fleece. None of them are compressible.

Wendy

That was way more boring than I was hoping for.

I think we should turn this post into trying to find the most creative answer to this question.

"Cloth diapers don't compress because the natural fibers in the cloth diaper naturally adhere to the synthetic fibers of the car seat fabric, this creates a natural symbiosis, in which the carseat ("The Host") naturally reacts with an even stronger gripping action in the event of an accident"

Because I'm bored. And I have a headache. And my children are driving me nuts and I need to laugh :D.

zeo2ski

Wendy

Thanks Wendy, I've never read much on the coats threads (just always take them off) but I hadn't realized "the rule" doesn't apply to all winter wear equally.

amy&girls

I've noticed that I've had to tighten my littlest's straps when she wears a disposable as well. It hasn't been as bad as she is getting bigger, b/c her one size diapers (made for 8-35lbs) and now fitting almost like a disposable b/c they are about too small for her!!! Thanks for answering this question!

InternationalMama

If you think about it, you intentionally pick dense fabrics for cloth diapers because those are the ones that absorb the most. Air doesn't absorb liquid so you don't want to have a lot of it in your cloth diapers. Bulk w/o absorbency is the opposite of what you're going for. As Wendy said, that means the fabric in cloth diapers isn't going to compress much.

christineka

I know the answer to this question, but I wonder all the time. I stick my 3 yo in the seat and his bulky cloth diaper sticks out so much that the harness doesn't lay flat on him. I figure he's rfing, so it's okay, though. The harness lays flush on my ffing (and thus non-diaper-wearing) kids.

emandbri

Another thing to keep in mind with cloth is that it can change what slot a child needs to be on if you go back and forth. My younger two kids used cloth almost exclusively and would be in disposables only on trips and sometimes I had to move the harness down to the next slots for the trips.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I consider cloth diapers a non-issue.

To compress, there would have to be force placed on the diaper. The diaper is under the child. Unless the car crashes UP, the diaper isn't going to press DOWN. The UFO would need to suck the car up pretty fast for that to happen.

(Yes, some of the puffiness is in the front of the crotch area, but RF that wouldn't really matter, and even FF, it's the shoulders where you need to worry about compression.)

Sadierain

Try wearing flats in the car. ;) They're SO trim, I just started using them and I'm in love. I had to tighten the straps up when I put her in with a flat on. If you want to stalk, Doodle Dypes are another really trim one. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC