DreamRide Installation Issue

Roxxanne19

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting a Cosco DreamRide car bed tightened into a vehicle? I have a Sienna and the carseat person at the hospital told us HOW to buckle it in but they don't help buckle it in. She said that, like a regular carseat and the AngelRide, it shouldn't move more than an inch but we absolutely cannot get it tight enough - even with our seatbelt locked and pulled so tight it looks like it's going to break. Do you have any suggestions? Our son was in the AngelRide, initially (for a whopping 2 weeks), but has outgrown it and still can't pass a carseat trial so we had to move up to the DreamRide (which the hospital also provided to us - and yes, I've checked to make sure it's not one of the recalled ones). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Desirée

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you rearrange seats and try a different position? Maybe it's the contours of the seat in that particular spot or something? (I know the Sienna has some asymmetries in the right vs. left side of the back, at least the ones I've seen, and if you've got an 8 seater and are trying it in the middle, moving to the back seat instead might do it.) What about twisting the buckle stalks down (up to 3 times?) That sometimes changes the angle the belt hits at allowing a seat to tighten down better. If that doesn't help, it may be an incompatibility. :( Does your hospital have the new Hope car bed (I think it's called?)

Roxxanne19

Thanks! We have a 7 seater, so there's no middle seat in the middle row. We've been trying it in the passenger seat in the middle so we're going to try it in the back row. All the seatbelts are shoulder-lap belts. The only belt that's different is the one we've been trying and the difference between it and the rest of them is that it's actually hooked to the seat rather than the side of the van so perhaps that's the issue. The buckles don't come out of the seat, so we can't twist them.

What is this other car bed? I thought there were only 2 infant car beds currently on the market? The AngelRide and the DreamRide?

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
The DreamRide is a notoriously "bad" install in many vehicles. I've often found the bench seat to offer a slightly better install than the captain's chairs, but in the end, it's usually a scarily-sliding-loose install. My vote would be to determine why he can't pass the car seat test and try to address that issue so as to get him out of the DreamRide ASAP. That being said, it's safer for him to be in the DreamRide than to stop breathing in a rear-facing seat!

Roxxanne19

Ok, I found that Hope car bed. It's not due out until next month so I know our hospital doesn't have them - our hospital only has the AngelRide and the DreamRide and only gives the DreamRides out if babies are too big for the Angelride. Ok...hubby and I are headed out to the garage to play the carseat rearranging game.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The only way I've ever gotten a Dreamride to have less than 1 inch of movement with a lap/shoulder belt was by using a locking clip instead of locking the retractor.

Roxxanne19

Sorry for all the replies - Shumnum was posting when I was.

ShumNum - The only thing they can come up with is the Chronic Lung Disease - which is something he just has to outgrow. He was 12 weeks premature and is now 13 weeks old actual and 1 week adjusted. I put him in the Chicco this morning for a trial and more than tripled the amount of o2 he was on but he kept dropping his sats to the 70s. He does okay for a few minutes at a time but just can't maintain...

Roxxanne19

Ok, we've officially tried it in every seat but the front seats and it's just too loose everywhere we put it...I have Liam in his Chicco right now with a little higher amount of oxygen than he normally gets and I removed the head portion of the infant insert thingy that comes in the carseat so his head can lean a little further back and he's maintaining his sats, so far, so I'm kind of leaning towards just giving him more o2 while he's in the car and using the Chicco. I'm just not at all comfortable with how loose the DreamRide is.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can an adult sit back there to monitor his o2 sats while you're driving him? It sounds like this may be the only safe-ish way to transport him, but obviously not getting enough o2 is not good either, though an unacceptable install is definitely not safe. :(

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
OK, last ditch effort for the Dreamride.

Detach the seat belt loops from the shell slide those over the seat belt and lock the seatbelt down pretty tight (using a locking clip, not the switchable retractor.)Now, without taking the loops off the seat belt, reattach them to the Dreamride. It can be tricky to get them back on andyou may need to do some weird contortions to manage it, but I promise it can be done.

It is a little bit of a guessing game as to how tight to make the seat belt, so it may take a couple of tries.

Roxxanne19

Thanks, y'all! We got the go ahead to increase Liam's oxygen settings and use the Chicco. We just have to keep him on the pulse-ox monitor while he's in the carseat (rather than just at home).

I just have to wonder why, when the number of premature babies is on the rise, there isn't a more acceptable, and affordable, car bed on the market. I looked at the Hope bed that's supposed to come out in July and it's going to be $850. That would be worth it if your child is going to be in it for more than a month, but I couldn't afford $850 for a few weeks. Renting them is an option, but then you never know if it's been in a wreck. I personally liked the AngelRide but it just doesn't accommodate larger babies. Ok, I'm stepping off my soap box, now.

Thanks for the help, ladies!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC