Child Aviation Restraint System??

W

wchicoria

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with the AmSafe's CAReS (Child Aviation Restraint System)? http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

We're flying the end of May and I have been thinking of:

- taking my almost 5 year old FF in a Radian (about to purchase). He's 35 lbs, 41" and seated his shoulders are 14"
- taking my almost 20 month old RF in a Radian (again, about to purchase). He's 22 lbs and 33" but I haven't measured his shoulder height

My husband won't be coming so I am concerned about whether I can sit with both kids in the same row if both are in their Radians. I will probably be buying the GoGoKids wheels to stroll the baby and buying the Radian bag to get us all to the gate.

The CAReS says it's for 22-44 lbs and up to 40" - I don't feel my youngest would be safest in this since he's the minimum weight and is obviously less mature, and can't talk yet. But it would be SO convenient if I could use it with my oldest but he's one inch past the guide. I sent an email to them to ask how the 40" was determined but I haven't heard back yet. I would definitely appreciate it anyone can offer any input into this.

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I haven't seen it in use, but I wouldn't use it. I would much rather the protection of not only the harness, but the containment of a seat. There's still too much space around a child in a CARES for me to be comfortable with.

I've seen a parent with two kids in seats next to her. I don't think it'll be a problem. I'd be careful with a RFing Radian on a plane, though, I'd worry about how it'd fit. It's a big seat front to back RFing, and I don't know if you'll have the space to do it. I'd request firmly a bulkhead row.

Wendy

Splash

I'd skip it. Overpriced and not as safe as a real seat. You'll definitely be able to fit them both in their radians, though.
I'd put your youngest FF, though. A RF Radian on a plane is going to be a nightmare in all respects. At 20 months, the safety aspect just isn't enough of a reason for me to rear face on a plane, especially in that seat. A marathon or something, maybe, but not a Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC